Archos 70 - 250GB

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Okay guys so i returned my Huawei S7 tablet yesterday which my wife got me as a xmas gift and order an Archos 70 - 250GB tablet from Amazon for 345 and receive it about 2 hrs ago. After playing with it for a bit i love it how it has the glass multi touch screen vs. the PDA like screen on the S7 where you need to actually press...

The design of the unit for me is way nicer/clear look and weights less and love the fact that i has 1 ghz, 512mb of ram and 250GB hard drive built in!!!!!!!

I saw some youtube videos where one of the reviews stated it that it vibrates a tiny bit almost un noticeable because it has a real hard drive, let me tell you i do not feel any vibration whats so ever....

The only thing that really confused me was that i could sync any of my gmail accounts due to no gmail sync support and i could not find the Google Market (assuming there is non) So i see something called Appslib and i started to download a few apps from there which is cool and different, however a lot of apps that are on the Market are not found here such as Launcher pro etc....

Question is there a way to install googles market manually and also be able to use that on this device?

Another thing is i tried to search gmail app on the Appslib and there is none so i did found a work around and configured my gmail via exchange corporate feature by adding m.google.com as the mail server and also supports push so thats ok for me, but i would still like to have the real gmail app. (Assuming it can be downloaded and installed manually as well?)

Has anyone rooted this device yet if so anyone know where i can get instructions?

Gotta admit even though it does not have the real market i am still very happy i returned the S7 and got this one, to me just browsing and navigating through it for 2 hrs by far feels alot better.. Just the finger swiping part alone is so worth it because you do not need to press the screen to make selections or to swipe.

Another thing i notice was the device came with Android 2.1 and when i connected it to my home Wifi network i immediately got a notification stating a new update was available. I went ahead and accepted it, downloaded and installed it. After the device booted i went to check what version i had and indeed it did say 2.2.1 (Froyo) so i was very happy. I tried to go to a flash website and flash plug in is not pre-installed so i tried to downloaded it from APPSLIB, but when you search for it it does not exist.. How can i install Adobe Flash player on my device? Can i just download the .apk and install it and will it work? Same for gmail can i just download the .apk and install it? Heck how about the Market.apk app can i just download that and install it and will it connect to the real market it that my Droid X connects and where i have a bunch of paid apps already?

Any feed back on these questions above would be greatley appreciated..

p.s. I tried to download the Androidtablets.net forum app, but that does not exist on the Appslib, can someone send it to me at "[email protected]"?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE..... HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Yes, and congrats. I nearly went with the 70/250 but went with the 101/16. I think you will be happy.
There are ready to install apps for adding Market to your 70. The latest is v5. Use and search for that version
Read this Thread= http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/archos-tablets/4394-step-step-how-upgrade-2-1-2-2-froyo-google-market-2-2-a.html
Flash can be installed, but not all versions are equal. The reason Flash is not installed by default yet is the validation process for Adobe is not complete. It will get flash plugins but you can install it.
Soo many questions, Search and you will find and be pleased. There are some shortcomings, but these are being addressed in the firmware updates.

Joeyqqqb

Oct 16, 2010
Wow a 250gb tablet for $350 sounds like fabulous deal to me given the fact I paid 200 for a generic one before.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Yes, and congrats. I nearly went with the 70/250 but went with the 101/16. I think you will be happy.
There are ready to install apps for adding Market to your 70. The latest is v5. Use and search for that version
Read this Thread= http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/archos-tablets/4394-step-step-how-upgrade-2-1-2-2-froyo-google-market-2-2-a.html
Flash can be installed, but not all versions are equal. The reason Flash is not installed by default yet is the validation process for Adobe is not complete. It will get flash plugins but you can install it.
Soo many questions, Search and you will find and be pleased. There are some shortcomings, but these are being addressed in the firmware updates.

Thx guys much appreciated :)

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Just performed the above steps and pretty much all my questions got answered.. got the market, gmail etc etc :)

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
I have it and love it too, but 512 megs ram? I only have 256. How did you score that?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Android Tablet Forum App

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Hope you did the best option. The gapps I used allowed me to have latest version of google market. Had to install youtube from market, and not everything shows up in the market (for some reason, I heard it has to do with your device, if it has no gps, gpps requiring apps won't even appear, yet how does adw launcher not appear?).

No worries, I've been able to extract every single app I already purchased I can't get from my phone. E.G. I have ADW launcher Ex installed on my archos and boy is it making it run smoooooth. A lot smoother than the default froyo launcher.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
I can't upload the paid vers of adw here but I can upload latest vers of the open source(1.3.6) version, especially since the only one I've found is at the osp site (1.2.0 standalone). I can peel the .apk off my phone to do it.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
I have it and love it too, but 512 megs ram? I only have 256. How did you score that?

Could of sworn that the Archos 70 - 8GB had 256MB of ram and that the Archos 70 - 250GIG had 512MB of ram... read an article somewhere at some point before i bought it..... Gotta try to see if i can find a spec sheet... So you are saying the 250gig is only running 256MB of ram?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
All Archos units are set with 256 Mb of RAM. Here is a link of th 70 full technical specs
ARCHOS
As shown there are two different storage model The 8Gb is set for the light weight full function unit. The 250 is slightly heavier but is a tip of the hat to Archos PMP roots.
The 250Gb is designed to hold your entire Music library, All of your Books and Many movies/Vids whenever you want them, they are there
The only Down side to it is like almost all Tablets, The 250 Gb is strictly storage, and Archos has a bigger footprint in the OS than others and will leave you with less other apps to be loaded at the same time

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Could of sworn that the Archos 70 - 8GB had 256MB of ram and that the Archos 70 - 250GIG had 512MB of ram... read an article somewhere at some point before i bought it..... Gotta try to see if i can find a spec sheet... So you are saying the 250gig is only running 256MB of ram?

I was being facetious. It is only 256 megs ram.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
All Archos units are set with 256 Mb of RAM. Here is a link of th 70 full technical specs
ARCHOS
As shown there are two different storage model The 8Gb is set for the light weight full function unit. The 250 is slightly heavier but is a tip of the hat to Archos PMP roots.
The 250Gb is designed to hold your entire Music library, All of your Books and Many movies/Vids whenever you want them, they are there
The only Down side to it is like almost all Tablets, The 250 Gb is strictly storage, and Archos has a bigger footprint in the OS than others and will leave you with less other apps to be loaded at the same time

These archos internet tablets have 2 gigs of space for apps, which should be enough for just about most things.I haven't even filled one gig yet.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
These archos internet tablets have 2 gigs of space for apps, which should be enough for just about most things.I haven't even filled one gig yet.

me too but i thought it also had 512mb of ram. Runs well o far....