Archos refuses to fix known issue on 101 tablet

DTR

Dec 18, 2010
Got my 101 for a Christmas present and it was new in the box. I immediately went and registered it on their website. I had my tablet for two weeks and the usb port would no longer recognize a external hard drive. So I contacted customer support and they said my problem was a well known issue and to send it back. A month and a half went buy with no update to my RMA so I contacted them trying to find out why they had not sent it back yet. A couple of days later I received a response and they told me I did not purchase it from an approved vendor and they will not honor the warranty. The serial number showed that it was only a few weeks old when I sent it in and this to me was unacceptable. The wanted to charge me almost $200 to fix it and send me back a refurbed unit that is not warrantied. I went back and fourth with them and it was like talking to a wall. They just kept sending me quotes from their warranty guide. I had also purchased a 70 off their website but my repeat business meant nothing to them. Their was no flexibility no sympathy just cold harsh go the hell away or pay us money mentality. They are obviously on the prowl for every opportunity to gouge the customer and bolster the bottom line with no concern with their customer relations or repeat business. It would be different if they had been somewhat sympathitic. But every email requires several days to reply to if they even did and it was like a computer was spitting out preprogramed responses. I payed a premium for this tablet and now I am just out the money.

I would suggest staying away from their products.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have two simple questions They are not meant to rebuke but clarification.
1. Why did you NOT return it from where you bought it?
2. Why do you compare the response from Archos on a Gray Market unit purchased to the overall recommendation to not purchase from Archos?

The stories of individuals who have bought immediately or soon defective E-Bay units or direct from China abound on this site. They at least were willing to repair it. Some do not get that option.
BTW: ALL units RMA'd from Archos are Refurbs. You never get a new unit or your original unit usually. It is faster and easier to turn around and send a refurb.

Sorry for your experience. I have had personal bad experience on a Gray Market Car and the unwillingness of a dealer to repair even though it had 20K miles. But that does not mean I can blame the Brand of the car.

sjohn3208

Apr 11, 2012
I purchased my Arnova 10.1 16 GB Tablet from HHGregg. Within 1 week my Granddaughter had knocked it off the table where it was charging and broke off the charge connector inside the tablet. My 1st instinct was to contact HHGregg to inquire about having it repaired. They instructed me to contact Archos concerning the repairs. First I contacted other computer repair shops in my area and was told by all of them they did not repair the Arnova Tablet. I then tried to contact Archos. There is no telephone number listed in any of the documents included with my purchase, but after searching their web site extensively, I was finally able to find a telephone number. This number had been disconnected. I then was able to find and email address. I sent an email concerning having the tablet repaired and it has been 8 days and I still have not heard from them. I am now searching the web to find someone to fix my tablet. Had I known I would have this much trouble getting cooperation from the company, I would have gone ahead and spent the extra money and bought a tablet from a well known company such as Sony or Apple. As of now I am out $200.00 until I can find someone to fix my problem and have since went and bit the bullet and bought an Apple IPad2. Other than customer service, I actually liked the Arnova and was planning on buying one from my Granddaughter and Daughter. After my experience with this issue I wont purchase another Archos product.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Did you register the device? I found it very easily using my registered account or through Facebook. As it states though, you need to have the device registered for any repair or assistance. I know that is a problem for some, but it is how they do it.

I purchased my Arnova 10.1 16 GB Tablet from HHGregg. Within 1 week my Granddaughter had knocked it off the table where it was charging and broke off the charge connector inside the tablet. My 1st instinct was to contact HHGregg to inquire about having it repaired. They instructed me to contact Archos concerning the repairs. First I contacted other computer repair shops in my area and was told by all of them they did not repair the Arnova Tablet. I then tried to contact Archos. There is no telephone number listed in any of the documents included with my purchase, but after searching their web site extensively, I was finally able to find a telephone number. This number had been disconnected. I then was able to find and email address. I sent an email concerning having the tablet repaired and it has been 8 days and I still have not heard from them. I am now searching the web to find someone to fix my tablet. Had I known I would have this much trouble getting cooperation from the company, I would have gone ahead and spent the extra money and bought a tablet from a well known company such as Sony or Apple. As of now I am out $200.00 until I can find someone to fix my problem and have since went and bit the bullet and bought an Apple IPad2. Other than customer service, I actually liked the Arnova and was planning on buying one from my Granddaughter and Daughter. After my experience with this issue I wont purchase another Archos product.

iihs

Jan 10, 2013
You cant blame the brand but the manufacturer is responsible for fixing a defect with a product. Toyota had to recall 2.77 million vehicles. Gray Market purchased included. Archos needs to address the problem with its tablets!!!!