Are the new tablets worth the wait?

mreev90

Apr 9, 2012
I'm new here and this is my first post, so please be kind. I am looking at purchasing my first tablet and the "new" ipad (Really? Thats the best name they could come up with?) is out of the question. It does however, look like the "new" ipad has leapfroged (at least somewhat) over most of the current Android models. After a lot of research here, it looks like the ASUS Transformer Prime and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 are 2 of the finest Android tablets currently available. My question is whether I should jump in and buy one of those or wait a little while for the next incarnation of tablets to become available?

From what I have read, the ASUS Infinity 700 and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 will be significant upgrades to the current models. They seem to promise the new OS, faster speeds and better resolution. Will those models be worth waiting for? Will they be rival the "new" ipad. When do we expect seeing those guys hit the street?

Thanks, for your help.

Mreev90

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
The new tablets are always worth the wait....same as the new cars...and new computers....etc etc. Moore's Law basicly dictates that computing power doubles every two years, if you look at Android that is certainly the case. The first tablets came out in July of 2010 and look where we are now. If you want to wait, that is fine, but waiting for the next best thing means you are always going to be waiting for the next big release.

I know that probably does nothing to answer your question, but there it is. As far as "rivaling the iPad," look at the specs and the reviews. With the exception of the screen resolution (which is simply breathtaking on the iPad) the ASUS TFP actually out-performs the iPad pretty much across the board.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well, one can always play the waiting game with technology since the next best thing is always around the corner ;) In reality the new iPad is just hype it isn't any better than the same category of Android tablet (i.e. top shelf). It certainly hasn't leapfrogged anything except in Apple's own mind since Android tablets have been offering higher resolutions than iPads for some time. The iPad is a nice tablet and has its advantages and drawbacks. There are certainly current Android tablets that can equal it though and offer things iPads can't.

I wouldn't expect any major Android releases until later in the year maybe as late as the holidays or early next year. We will probably have announcements of devices before then but not actual products. If you are interested in what is out now, then the two mentioned are two of the best and certainly worth looking at. If you decide they don't have quite enough processing power or resolution you can wait for the next round.

At that point Windows 8 tablets should be hitting the scene and could shake things up considerably. Particularly if you are looking for the best of the best since the indications are that the Windows 8 tablets are going to be more like real pcs in a tablet form than a phone in a tablet form and should be quite capable. Just like the current tablet pcs with the flip around screens but losing the laptop component to become true tablets. Probably quite pricey as well though.

Edit: Darn you PB you beat me to it :D

Last edited: