Asus announces accessories for Nexus 7 2013

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Accessories for Nexus devices have been somewhat of a disaster in recent times. The Nexus 7 2012 dock was leaked several times and I badly wanted one, but it was released a good 8 months after the Nexus 7 itself. By that point, I was so burned out from waiting that I didn’t even want it anymore. Now it looks like the same thing is happening again, sans the leaks.
ASUS has announced the official dock and wireless charger for the Nexus 7 2013. This time, though, it’s only been 7 months since the release of the tablet! These accessories are late as hell, especially since most people won’t be going out and buying such add-ons after being without them for 7 months. ASUS, you make no sense.

Watch on YouTube
Let’s talk about the accessories, even if they are late. First up is the Nexus 7 dock. It’s a basic wired dock that holds your tablet at an angle and also charges it. It has the ability to connect to a TV and do video out, but it’s not clear if it comes with the necessary cable. It can be used in portrait or landscape orientation, making it a pretty useful dock.
The other new Nexus 7 accessory is a wireless charger that’s compatible with pretty much any Qi-enabled product. It’s a stand with a 60-degree angle, a wireless charging pad built-in and an ASUS logo that glows to indicate when your device is charging. This is a nice-looking accessory that can be used with many devices.
Unfortunately, the wireless charger is an insane $90. That’s a high price to pay for a charger, especially one with a single conductive coil. It’s also worth noting that the product images only show the Nexus 7 in landscape, presumably because the coil is low enough to charge smartphones. The wired dock is a more manageable $50, but it isn’t available anywhere except eBay at the moment.

Gallery

Source: androidandme.com

Music

Feb 5, 2011
When I bought my Nexus 7-2 last December, I asked the BestBuy tablet salesman if they had the wireless charging stand, and he told me that there is no such thing, even after I told him all the new tablets HAVE it.

I'll bet that it was only an offer you can get only with a NEW tablet, like the $25 Google Play credit.

Google Play sells a wireless charger: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_Wireless_Charger?id=nexus_wireless_charger

Amazon: Amazon.com: QI standard Wireless Charger for Google Nexus 7 II FHD Tablet by MCPOWER: Computers & Accessories

I like the idea of a charging dock with the integrated HDMI connector. I still prefer the wired charging system; there are too many wireless signals around, IMO... If you are worried about wearing out the charging port, get a sacrificial connector, like a micro OTG USB adapter.

Last edited: