Asus Transformer and OS

Peterlh

Jul 6, 2011
Hi people.

I'll soon be buying my very first tablet, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be the Asus EEE Transformer. (Alternatively the Samsung Galaxy 10.1)
I have however heard some rumours that Asus is going to launch a quad-core Ice Cream Sandwhich version of the Transformer this fall.
Does anyone know anything about wether the rumour is correct or not? It would be a shame to buy the dual-core version if a quad-core version is coming in a few months.
Anyway, I would hate to be in a situation where my newly acquired tablet is already outdated because of it running an old OS, or it being slow and laggy because of having a dual-core processor and running a quad-core optimized operating system.

Thank is advance. -Peter

Peterlh

Jul 6, 2011
Would the dual-core be powerful enough to run Ice Cream Sandwich without problems, or should I be patient and get the quad-core?

Last edited:

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Would the dual-core be powerful enough to run Ice Cream Sandwich without problems, or should I be patient and get the quad-core?

Yes. Best to go tabletless & wait until the quad core or better yet until the octo-core processors come out.

Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying my transformer today.

Hey, there's always something better right around the corner, if you wait you'll miss out on what the device can do for you today. Besides, early adoption of the latest and greatest sets you up to overpay and to become a beta tester. The sweet spot is to snag the deep discounted dual core tabs once the quads come out.

Sent from my Tab using Android Tablet Forum

momo

Jul 7, 2011
Yes. Best to go tabletless & wait until the quad core or better yet until the octo-core processors come out.

Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying my transformer today.

Hey, there's always something better right around the corner, if you wait you'll miss out on what the device can do for you today. Besides, early adoption of the latest and greatest sets you up to overpay and to become a beta tester. The sweet spot is to snag the deep discounted dual core tabs once the quads come out.

Sent from my Tab using Android Tablet Forum

hahaha very well put. The only time i waited was when the ipad 1 came out first. I just wanted to have a little more option instead of just ONE tablet. And now I am truely enjoying my transformer :). Buy it now and upgrade after a couple of years to a 21 core tablet ;P

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

ASUSFAN0001

Jun 6, 2011

Even Android 2.x phones are supposedly going to be able to operate with the ICS version coming 4Q 2011...so the dual core Transformer units should do just fine with it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Anomander

Jun 16, 2011
My understanding of Ice Cream Sandwich was that is the bridge between the Tablet Android OS and the phone Android OS. With that in mind I would think you would just be fine with a dual core tablet. Heck as it is there are not a lot of apps that take advanatage of a dual core let a lone a quad core tablet. Like vferrari said there is always something better coming around the corner.