Asus Transformer T100 2 in 1 hybrid with Quad Core Bay Trail; Also TF701 in October

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011

We have a couple of interesting news bites from Asus for you today. The first one isn't Android related, but it is tablet related and worth a gander. According to the video above (which is a bit painful to watch because of the heavy accent from the speaker), Asus will soon introduce a product called the Transformer Model T100, which is a 2 in 1 hybrid. This Windows 8 based device will supposedly come with the new Quad-Core Bay Trail processor from Intel. Furthermore, this new Asus-made tablet will likely sport an 11 hours run time with the dock. It could come later this month or in October.

It will be interesting to see just how much power the Quad-Core Bay Trail from Intel can dish out. (Incidentally, there is also word that Toshiba's Encore 8" Bay Trail tablet will come out by either end of October or early November and Dell is also coming out with a 8" Venue Bay Trail tablet in October).

The other bit of news from Asus today is that the new TF701 Transformer Pad Infinity they recently announced could also be coming in October. Nothing has been officially confirmed regarding this, but we will keep you updated if/when we find out more.

Thanks for the tip, zeo!

Source: TransformerForums

Last edited by a moderator:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Android tablets are seeing increasing competition from new Bay Trail-based Windows tablets that push the envelope when it comes to price and features. The Asus T100, for example, does everything you can do with a full Windows machine, includes a full version of Microsoft Office, and includes the keyboard dock, all for only $349. There are more touch friendly apps available for Android, but if you're in it for the apps, then there's no beating the iPad Air and its selection of tablet-optimized apps. And if you must have Android, the HP SlateBook x2 offers very similar specs and includes a keyboard dock for $479.99. Hybrid Android devices like previous Transformer Pads made nice proxies for laptops when affordable, portable, and proficient laptops were few and far between. That's no longer the case, though, and as more and more sub-$400 Windows tablets emerge, I suspect we'll start seeing fewer and fewer hybrid Android devices like the TF701.

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
Well said! I for one am forgoing Android this time around. Hopefully in a month or two, I'll have my hands on a new Baytrail Windows tab. Just have to pick between 10" or 8".

edap

Dec 12, 2012
There's no denying the raw power and stunning display you get with the Asus TF701—it's what you don't get that's problematic. You don't get the keyboard dock. You don't get real multitasking. You don't get Microsoft Office or other Windows apps that make the optional keyboard dock really useful.