AT&T Introduces New Monthly Billing Option for Tablets

reddragon7660

Feb 2, 2011
AT&T Introduces New Monthly Billing Option for Tablets
Customers Get First Month Free When Activating New Postpaid Plan

Dallas, Texas, March 03, 2011
ShareThis

AT&T today introduced convenient new postpaid billing options for tablets. Beginning today, customers can choose between AT&T’s existing prepaid billing options or the new postpaid plans. The new plans can be added to customers’ existing monthly wireless statements, offering the simplicity of a single monthly bill. For a limited time, customers who activate a new postpaid $25/2 GB plan will receive the first month free(1).

The new postpaid billing option will be available across AT&T retail locations, as well as att.com, Best Buy, Fry’s, select Nexcom locations, and Walmart stores nationwide.

“Tablets offer the convenience of mobile broadband virtually anywhere and our new billing options give customers the flexibility to choose how they prefer to be billed,” said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility & Consumer Markets.

Customers may choose from the following options.

Postpaid: $14.99 for 250 MB or $25 for 2 GB. Customers on the 2 GB plan who exceed their monthly data allotment will be charged $10 per 1 GB of overage. Charges will appear on customers’ monthly wireless statements.
Prepaid: $14.99 for 250 MB or $25 for 2 GB. Customers on the 2 GB plan who exceed their monthly data allotment may choose to purchase an additional 2 GB for $25. Charges will appear on customers’ credit card statements.
Both options are month-to-month and do not require a long-term commitment.

For the complete array of AT&T offerings, visit [url=http://www.att.com

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
Now if the other carriers follow suit...... and we get some competition to drive prices lower this could be good!

MrSpeeb

Dec 27, 2010
Has anyone been able to ferret out a direct URL to the Prepaid plan options? I don't seem to be able to locate the page in the morass that is ATT.com. This is the only URL I can find and it doesn't seem to show the aforementioned plans: AT&T Mobile Broadband - PC Cards, Netbooks, Data Plans - Wireless from AT&T

[edit]
I found it here: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...plans/data-connect-plans.jsp?_requestid=18466 unfortunately the Dataconnect site https://buyasession.att.com does not show those rates and I cannot register (to contact support) the cell number associated with my DataConnect only SIM. ???

Also, here is the link to the official release: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=19258&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=31658&mapcode=broadband|consumer

Last edited:

Gfire

Feb 19, 2011
Still way too expensive. AT&T is smoking crack. All i got from that quote was---and our new billing options give customers the flexibility to choose how they prefer to be Fd in the A.

thecastout

Jan 21, 2011
Has anyone tried this?

I think I'm going to the ATT store tomorrow and see what to do, if anything.

dajack761

Dec 8, 2010
I went to my local at&t store yesterday to get this plan. They weren't able to actually set it up then so they set it for the 200mb program just to get it in their system. I'm monitoring the account to see when it switches over from a "Data No Voice Including 200mb" to a "2GB DataConnect Personal Plan for Tablets". I called customer service this morning to ask them why it hadn't switched over yet. The Customer service person could find the plan in their system. They gave me another number to call at 8:00am. I'll see what happens then.

Update;

The issue appears to be that IMEI number is identifying the device, in their system, as a phone a phone. I initially set it up on at&t as a go phone. They (Business Care) has submitted a request to change the device type associated with the IMEI number from phone to tablet. They said they would back date the change to yesterday so I shouldn't incurr any additional charges.

Last edited:

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
So what did they say your total bill would be for a month (with all the surcharges....fees.....taxes......gouging........neutering.......etc.......etc......)?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I thought some people are actually using their S7s as phones. Having AT&T reclassify the device will screw some people up.

dajack761

Dec 8, 2010
When I no longer feel that the cost is worth the convenience, I will discontinue the service. There's no contract.

dajack761

Dec 8, 2010
I thought some people are actually using their S7s as phones. Having AT&T reclassify the device will screw some people up.

I think the IMEI numbers are unique to an indvidual device, or at least thats what I understood from the technician and other sources on this forum. It's not a reclassification of the device system wide for AT&T, it's changing a designation on my account.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
I wish they'd do data more like minutes. I'd love to pay $25 for 2GB, good for 3 months. I wouldn't even mind if the data didn't carry over.

reddragon7660

Feb 2, 2011
I went to the Store on tuesday, spent a good hour talking to a sales person at the store on their in store phone, got a new sim card and everything was golden or so i thought, I just had to call and activate it. I called and the system said technical difficultitys. talked to a customer rep and she was dumb as a box of rocks and couldnt activate it and couldn't find the pricing in the system. went back to the store, they called the activation # talked to a customer rep for a few and kept trying to get me to sign up for a stupid aircard plan, NO Thanks I am not paying $60 a month for slow 2G service. at least T-mobile is $30 a month even if it is slower then dial up in my location.

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
I think the IMEI numbers are unique to an indvidual device, or at least thats what I understood from the technician and other sources on this forum. It's not a reclassification of the device system wide for AT&T, it's changing a designation on my account.

Well, I wonder about that. I bought an AT&T sim from ebay with the intention of trying it out for data. But I hadn't gotten around to putting any money on the account. All I did was register the sim to get a number and dialed the AT&T number for checking my balance (even though I knew it was 0). The tablet was showing I was on the AT&T network and getting a signal. So basically, I knew the phone stuff was working. Then a few days ago I stopped getting a signal and started getting a message on the notifications screen ("i" icon), "Selected network (AT&T) unavailable." I don't usually get a great signal at home so I didn't think too much about it. But I took the tablet to the center of town where there should be a perfectly good signal, and still nothing. So maybe they did reclassify the device for everyone! Anybody having trouble like this with AT&T voice?

cableguy520

Feb 24, 2011
I've had AT&T for my phone for the last 3 years. I have had unlimited data on my plan since day one, althought I hardly ever used it on my HTC fuze. I put the sim in my S7 and I've been using it as my phone ever since. It's been perfect for all my uses, phone and moble device. I've seen posts of people saying there's a 5gig cap so I am watching that. I am glad that I chose that plan that plan I did and came across this tablet. So far so good! I will update for sure if AT&T try switching or altering my plan, my contract is up this month but I'm not buying a new phone just going month to month.

Sent from my S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

dajack761

Dec 8, 2010
I'm now told that I can NOT get the 2gb personal tablet plan because the s7 is not a AT&T branded product. So needless to say my account has been cancelled. Very disappointed in AT&T.

This is the body of the email that I received from the in store sales person.

This is K** from the att store on **** Rd. We were working on trying to figure out how to get your tablet on the post paid data plan. After trouble shooting the issue with B** and a couple people that are in charge of rate plans and features, it seems as though getting your tablet on a post paid data plan with att will not be possible because it is not an att device. If your tablet was specifically made for att, like a Galaxy Tab or an iPad it would be no issue. Att will not allow a tablet that is not att branded take advantage of a post paid or pre paid tablet data plan.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

In reference to your bill with att for the 200 mb laptop connect pass, just bring it in to the store and we will credit the bill so you do not have to pay that bill.

Again, sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding this.

Last edited: