Augen HD Tablet PC Powered by Google Android V2.1

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
9anu6a.jpg

Get it at https://1saleaday.com/ Only $90 today and today only. Shipping handling is a mere $4.99.

The device being advertised is an Augen Gentouch78. After seeing a short run of popularity, it was abandoned by much of the community in protest of Augen's refusal to comply with the GPL in releasing source code as required by law, the low-quality of the device itself, and also citing incompetent Augen customer support. Since its initial launch almost a year ago, the Gentouch78 has silently gone through at least one hardware revision without any sort of press release from Augen, adding a g-sensor and changing the loathed 2.5mm headphone jack to a more sensible 3.5mm one. It is unclear which revision of the device is being sold at this sale. However, this may be a little better than buying an unbranded device.

Compared to the Craig CMP738a also recently on sale at CVS for $80 in stores, the Gentouch is not clearly a better choice despite the more powerful and efficient processing unit. The original Gentouch was one of the earliest implementations of the Telechips TCC8902, and was never a very good device in terms of software or hardware. This might have improved with the newer version. Those of you who are still interested in this deal need to consult 1saleaday for more details regarding this.

Discuss this tablet at our Augen tablet subforum.

Last edited by a moderator:

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
My daughter broke the screen on the Gentouch78 that I got her, and i'm in the process of return/rma to have it fixed. If it's going to cost me around $100 to get it fixed.. I was thinking about just purchasing this tablet for $95. Although for only $60 more I can get a 8" tablet running android 2.2 with flash.... decisions... decisions...

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for editing xaueious. I didn't have time to look up any info on it. Just saw it as a deal and figured I'd share it with everyone here. I to am debating on picking up a tab for $95. How bad could it be?

vaccdroid

Jan 8, 2011
Read the reviews. this tablet is just bad. My dad got his ( I think it was this ) from hsn and it was junk.