Authentication Problem

Peppersitter

Sep 2, 2013
Hello -

I purchased an Acer Iconia B1 tablet a couple of days ago and am having an Authentication problem when I try to connect to my wireless router.
You've probably seen this problem before. What mystifies me is that I got online with no problem the other day when I was setting up.
However, the tablet went into Sleep mode which disconnected me and I have not been able to get back online.
I've made sure that it won't be going asleep ever again, but what do I do about this Authentication problem?
Please note that I have very little technical knowledge.
I have other devices hooked up to my router and they work with no problems.
I've turned everything off and on. Powered off, turned off wifi on tablet, etc.

Please speak very slowly and clearly so I can understand. I have no idea about codes.
I have nobody here in my home who is capable of helping me with this.
Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Peppersitter, congratulations on your new Acer Iconia and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. I'd suggest you try resetting your router. This has often solved the problem in the past. Simply unplug/turn off your router for 30 seconds or so and then turn it back on. Hope that works!

Peppersitter

Sep 2, 2013
Hi Spider - thank you for replying. Yes, I've tried that and it didn't work.
Tomorrow is another day and I hope to start fresh in order to fix this because the tablet is useless to me without a net connection.
If it doesn't work, I'll log in and tell you.

Peppersitter

Sep 2, 2013
It didn't work.
It's telling me to hit a certain button on my router, but my router lacks buttons.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Try: Settings > WiFi, and "forget" the connection.

The request for the button press suggests that WPS is turned on. WPS is insecure, so you may want to disable it and configure WPA manually if that concerns you.

If you prefer to use WPS anyway, then if the router does not have a button, you will need the WPS pin.

Check your router guide for information on manual WPA setup, or using WPS if you prefer that.

Peppersitter

Sep 2, 2013
I have WPA on.
I give up.
How do I erase my personal data from this machine?
I want to return it for a refund.
I put a pin into the Reset hole but my personal info is still in there.