Avoiding Corrupted Boot Partition and BSOD

Mar 6, 2011
I'm running CM7 on my NC and have managed to nuke the boot partition a couple of times now, resulting in the black screen of death. I've been able to fix it, thanks to the multitude of helpful posts on this and other sites. But now that I have my Nook running nicely, I want to avoid nuking the boot again.

From what I understand, the NC always looks to boot off of the SD card first. If I have an SD card that I'm using for storage of music, pictures etc., how can I avoid having the NC look at that card on booting? Because right now I take the SD card out before I ever turn the thing back on, for fear of corrupting boot again. Is this the way it's supposed to be, or am I insane or merely mistaken?

Thanks in advance!

-EB

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
As long as you don't have a bootable image on your card (which you shouldn't if you are using it for general storage) you should be absolutely fine.

The NC is hardwired to look to the SD card first, and honestly you want it that way incase you do crash it and need to run a bootable SD to repair it.

It sounds to me like you have some type of burned image on that card. I suggest you back up all your stored data from that card (minus the burn image files of course) format the card in the NC, and put all your data back on it. Then you should be golden.

opoteat

Mar 6, 2011
I'm running CM7 on my NC and have managed to nuke the boot partition a couple of times now, resulting in the black screen of death. I've been able to fix it, thanks to the multitude of helpful posts on this and other sites. But now that I have my Nook running nicely, I want to avoid nuking the boot again.

From what I understand, the NC always looks to boot off of the SD card first. If I have an SD card that I'm using for storage of music, pictures etc., how can I avoid having the NC look at that card on booting? Because right now I take the SD card out before I ever turn the thing back on, for fear of corrupting boot again. Is this the way it's supposed to be, or am I insane or merely mistaken?

Thanks in advance!

-EB
I've managed to create a great CM7 NC that I love... then just what happened to you. So I'm reinstalling everything, for lack of any other known options. Should I have done something else?

Mar 6, 2011
Yeah, I think my BSOD were due to a couple of items:
1) Trying to format the SD card from CM7
2) Having old flash/installation files on the SD card when I rebooted NC

Also couldn't complete a CWR backup. I had a hell of a time but I think I have everything set now. Major milestones:

1) Installed adb for later tasks. Had to look for NC specific USB drivers and play around a lot in device manager to get my device recognized...finally.
2) Flashed Dalingrin's Repartition_boot_with_stock.zip to fix the boot partition
3) Flashed my CM7 nightly, gapps and OC kernel
4) Manually flashed the latest version of CWR using adb. Apparently this is mandatory for CM7 because of some kernel issue...look for manual install instructions for CWR 3.0.1.0

Then I was able to get into CWR and successfully complete a backup. Running Titanium Backup of apps as well so I have all my 'stuff' backed up in case I switch ROMs.

Basically on Thursday when I got my NC, the most I had ever done mod-wise was do a manual update on my Nexus One. Now, I kind of feel like I have an inkling about the whole rooting/modding thing, and I'm really excited to have my little NC. Again, thanks to the community for all ur help/assistance.

-EB