Bad battery performance Onda v711 and jellybean

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
Hi, I updated my V711 to jellybean and rooted using iiDiabolusZz 's guide. It works great but my battery sucks.

I am getting only about 4 hours of battery life reading a book with wifi off and about 50% brightness or less. Web browsing or games/videos suck down the battery in no time, maybe an hour or so. Also, the battery takes forever to charge, about 3-4 hours in a home 110v ac wall socket.

After JB I tried using the "battery calibration" app. Didn't notice a difference. I also tried Juice defender. And although it had some neat features, my battery is still running out way to quickly.

Any ideas? Thanks.

speedway

Jan 6, 2013
Same problem here.
How long did it last on one charge before the update?

I think the battery on these tablets are awfull. I bought my dad a jiayu G3 and his phone will last for 48 hours with 3G and Wifi on, using it normally... Why arent these tablets which have double the battery size according the Onda site able to at least reach 6-8 hours browsing or reading?!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Some pre JB tablets had apps that were not completely compatible with JB. Any apps installed prior to JB may have left junk in the system so things may indeed not work correctly, including the charging. However, a factory data reset is one way to normally solve the problem.

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
My tab was originally received running ICS not JB. I did a full reset, update to JB, and root.

Checking my apps, the only two aside from keyboard and system stuff is facebook and google maps. Facebook doesn't really surprise me but Maps is shown running twice and I never launched it. I updated maps first, now I may try just installing Maps altogether to see if that helps.

So I just ran the tab playing a movie continually until it died. Wifi on and streaming through Netflix, I watched Tranformers (dark moon) with the screen brightness at about 33% but volume up at 100% running earbud headphones (I actually watched the movie).

The 14% battery left warning came on at about 2 hrs in. Then the 4% soon after at about 2:20. The movie finished at 2:35 and I restarted it to see how much longer it would last. It ran for another 15 minutes on the last "1%" of battery. Total play time of 2:50 and total on time of 3:05 from turning of fully charged to dead.

So fist off, the battery meter seems a bit off as the end of the battery lasted longer than expected. But, this is still really poor battery performance compared to reviews showing the Kindle Fire streaming movies at 50% brightness continually for 6.5hrs.
I wouldn't expect it to last as long as a phone, as the large screen sucks down a lot more power. But it should be on par with other 7" tabs like the kindle and the nexus it was designed to compete against.

Cnet tests tablet batteries:
CNET tablet battery life results | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Google maps had a bad battery consumption issue nearly a year ago and uninstalling the update had solved the problem. But I'm not saying that's where the issue is now,

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
I'll try it again tonight with Maps removed.

I charged it up and it took 1.5hrs to charge fully. Here's the thing, I noticed the charger has a rating (5v 1000mA). So to me that would mean 1000mA x 1.5hours = 1500mAH battery capacity!

I just looked at the Onda website and can't find any battery specs for the V711 but newegg lists it as being 2400mAH. That would be 50% more capacity than what I think I am getting. That would change 3hrs to 4.5hrs of playback, that would at least be acceptable.

Is it possible to replace the battery with a better higher cap battery?

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
Ok, I stopped maps (can't uninstall) and stopped facebook too. Ran the same movie and it died at the same time as before, about 2:50 of video playback.

Looking further into the Onda chinese site, they don't list the V711 battery size. I can only assume that it is the same as in the V712 which is listed as 3000mAH.
Since I am really curious, I decided to crack it open and take a look at the battery inside. Unfortunatly, no mAH rating here either. If anybody can find any info on this battery through the numbers, that would be awesome.

Look:

IMAG0869.jpg

IMAG0870.jpg

IMAG0872.jpg

IMAG0873.jpg

The battery measured ~143x53mm

If anybody finds a good hi-cap replacement, let me know.

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
Hmm Ok thanks Diabolus. Nice find on the battery, that's only $7.71 USD + shipping. I wonder if it would be any different in performance though.
So is Jellybean sucking down more power than the 1.5 ICS? I thought it was supposed to be more efficient.

I downloaded the BMW app and will play with it for a couple days. I also saw this: USB 5600mAh External Battery Backup Power Bank Charger for Tablet iPhone HTC | eBay
That would be a pretty easy (but ugly) solution anyway.

Really 4-5 hours on 1.5? Man, I like JB, but maybe I should just roll back to 1.5 and try that.

speedway

Jan 6, 2013
I suppose the v712 and v711 are based on the same design and hardware except for the screen? So the battery would also fit in a V712?

Only thing is... you never know if the advertised 4000mah is true, might be the same 3000mah...

blitz76

Jan 1, 2013
I suppose the v712 and v711 are based on the same design and hardware except for the screen? So the battery would also fit in a V712?

Only thing is... you never know if the advertised 4000mah is true, might be the same 3000mah...

Hi, I was doing my research on the V712 battery and I found this V711 vis-a-vis V712
It is in russian but it can translated by chrome. I just don't know if it is really the V712, I dont want to open mine. HTHs :)

I also found some chinese online store that sell V712 battery, but for some weird reason, I can put the link here but when clicking on it it does not point to the product.

Last edited:

Red7

Dec 26, 2012

True the 4000mah may not be a real 4000mah battery. But my 3000mah battery is only holding about 2200mah, just guessing off of charge times. If I can figure out how to use their order form, I think I'll order one up. It's only $10 to try anyway.

Hi, I was doing my research on the V712 battery and I found this V711 vis-a-vis V712
Wow, that is very surprising. So the V711 and V712 are actually very different. Different boards, screen, and battery.

I found the V712 battery. They have just 2 models of it from what I can see; 1500mAH or this 2500mAH: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.108.zbUOhC&id=16378881532
Slightly bigger dimensions for the Vi30 but 5000mAH: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...a138-5f6a85b4d42c&ad_id=&am_id=&cm_id=&pm_id=

Last edited:

Red7

Dec 26, 2012
I upgraded to the 4.1 jellybean and really like it over ICS. Everything is much smoother and nicer running. It also starts up faster and wakes faster too. My battery life is short but I don't know if it is any better in ICS, I didn't measure before updating and I don't want to go back.

I installed Battery Monitor Widget and it records mAH usage pretty well. Sitting at idle, reading a book or something low intensity, I get a draw of right around 400mA per hour when the cpu is running between 96Mhz to 336Mhz. I've seen the drain as high as 1051mAH when downloading apps (1200MHz) and even 1225mAH running a benchmark and the cpu hit 1500MHz. A full charge using a 1000mAH charger takes 2:20 from dead, so I am getting somewhere around 2400mAH of battery power.

I checked the tip about the Radio. I had already disabled mobile networks in the settings before, and the battery monitor showed only 3 things, idle- screen- and wi-fi. I still went into the settings and renamed the two files to .bak and restarted. No change for me though, still reporting the same battery usage.

For the sake of completeness I thought I would paste this here. I added this to another thread and think there is some good info in there.
Also, I have the replacement battery on the way. It should be another week before it even gets here but I'll come back here and post results then.

Here is a link to the battery: taobao agent , ,taobao english , taobao paypal

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
For the sake of completeness I thought I would paste this here. I added this to another thread and think there is some good info in there.
Also, I have the replacement battery on the way. It should be another week before it even gets here but I'll come back here and post results then.

Here is a link to the battery: taobao agent , ,taobao english , taobao paypal

Hope it solves the issue for you, did the agent add much to the total?