Editor in Chief
- Jan 5, 2011
Do you ever miss the days of classic RPGs on the PC? Do you have fond memories of the Baldur's Gate series from Black Isle Studios and wish you could relive some of that gaming magic? Even if you haven't played the Baldur's Gate D&D games on the PC, if you are a fan of that style of fantasy gaming, then you owe it to yourself to check out the newest thing to come to Android. Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is now available for Android and can be found on the Google Play Store for $9.99. The price is a bit steep compared to the typical app/game for Android, but that price is really a bargain for the 100+ hours (including sidequests) of fun you will get from this immense and enjoyable game.
This isn't just a straight port of the game either. The "Enhanced Edition" moniker serves it well. Free-roam zooming, high-resolution fonts, and other UI tweaks breathe fresh life into the 16 year old game. On top of that, the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition includes the two expansion packs (Tales of the Sword Coast and The Black Pits) built-in, and there is new content (some of which requires in-app purchase). Even if you never try out any of this extra paid content, you will be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable RPG experience on Android.
Here's a quote from the Google Play Store with a full game description,
The dawn is especially cruel this morning...
For as long as you can remember, your view of the world has been limited to the heavily fortified walls of Candlekeep. Your foster father, Gorion, has done everything in his power to protect you and keep you out of harms way.
All of that is about to change. Forced to leave your home under mysterious circumstances, you find yourself drawn into a conflict that has the Sword Coast on the brink of war. An iron shortage of unknown origin threatens to plunge the city of Baldurs Gate into conflict with Amn. Meanwhile, there is something else at work, far more sinister than you can even begin to fathom...
Since its release in 1998, this classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons computer roleplaying games. Customize your heros traits and abilities, recruit a party of brave allies, and explore the far corners of the Sword Coast in your search for adventure, profit and the truth.
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition contains the original 60-hour epic, as well as the following expansions:
* Tales of the Sword Coast: Explore the fabled Durlags Tower and more locations from the original Baldurs Gate expansion.
* The Black Pits: You have been captured and forced to fight in Baeloths marvelous arena. A myriad of monsters await, as well as countless other adventurers who face the same fate. Maim, murder, and maul your way to freedom if you can!
* Discover countless improvements weve made to the original game, including high-resolution fonts, an improved interface, dynamic zooming, and more!
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition also offers the following premium content available for purchase:
* Brothers Lost: Lend your aid to Rasaad yn Bashir, the Sun Soul monk, as he scours the Cloud Peaks in search of his lost brother.
* Neera and the Red Wizards: Save the wild mage Neera from the cruel machinations of Thays dreaded Red Wizards.
* Path of the Bloodied: Join the blackguard Dorn Il-Khan in taking revenge against those who betrayed him in Luskan.
* Gallery of Heroes: Reimagine your character with eleven never-before-seen character portraits from acclaimed Icewind Dale artist Jason Manley!
* New professionally recorded voice sets to choose from to further customize your character.
Source: Google Play Store