Barnes and Nobles. May 24 - announcement launch new ereader device

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
This was reported on the B&N website.. oh good grief... are we going to have to watch for this now too ?????

"One possibility is Barnes & Noble will release a more powerful combination tablet and e-reader, perhaps running a more advanced software like Google's Honeycomb software. Honeycomb is a version of Android Google created specifically for tablets."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/barnes-noble-to-unveil-new-e-reader-on-may-24-2011-05-04

"In a meeting with investor analysts on May 4, 2011, Barnes & Noble, Inc. (the "Company") indicated it expects to make an announcement on May 24, 2011 regarding the launch of a new eReader device" .Summary of BARNES & NOBLE INC - Yahoo! Finance

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes you did. Will this be considered a Nook 2 or something else?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Who knows? The Engadget bit says more info on the 24th of May so my guess is that we will know more in the next two weeks....Now that the cat is out of the bag all the techies are going to be digging up anything they can. Wish list, tegra2/3, 1ghz+(1.5-1.7 oc), pixelq(like the Adam which I was going to buy), and some sort of whispersync(sprint as I am planning on buying an Evo soon)

Sprint makes the most sense with the tight Google integration and the forthcoming ATT-ToMo leviathan gestating on the horizon....

Just spit balling as my mouth has been watering at the possibilities since I read the egdt post...

And Happy Star Wars day while I still have the chance.

May the Fourth Be With You...

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
?Great!! We guessed pretty much everything. They are moving fast,they have to if they want to survive and I bet they will deliver the best of all tablets because they are listening:-you asked,we listened- this is their motto.It's going to be expensive though,if you want cheap,you buy nookcolor1.
gloria

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Hmmm. Now, what do I do with the brand new NC I have hidden for an upcoming birthday gift? I think I'll still gift it, and hope the new thing doesn't make it obsolete. Lol.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Jonesgirl, if your guy likes to read he is going to enjoy it for ever and anyway he is lucky to have a fiance who gives such nice presents and worry so much about making him happy with the perfect present.
Gloria

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Barnes & Noble plans new electronic book reader

REUTERS - Bookseller Barnes & Noble Inc plans to make an announcement on the launch of a new electronic book reader on May 24th, according to a regulatory filing released after the close of trading on Wednesday.
The company disclosed the news of the launch in a meeting with analysts and investors, the filing said. It did not provide details.
Shares of the company rose more than 17 percent in regular trading on Wednesday and closed at $12.01 on the New York Stock Exchange.
The announcement comes weeks after the company introduced new features to its Nook Color e-reader to make the device more competitive with Apple Inc's iPad and offer more functions than Amazon.com Inc's Kindle.

The new Nook Color should come with even more powerful hardware and should support Android 3.0 Honeycomb. No other details have been disclosed yet.

Last edited:

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Barnes & Noble plans new electronic book reader

REUTERS - Bookseller Barnes & Noble Inc plans to make an announcement on the launch of a new electronic book reader on May 24th, according to a regulatory filing released after the close of trading on Wednesday.
The company disclosed the news of the launch in a meeting with analysts and investors, the filing said. It did not provide details.
Shares of the company rose more than 17 percent in regular trading on Wednesday and closed at $12.01 on the New York Stock Exchange.
The announcement comes weeks after the company introduced new features to its Nook Color e-reader to make the device more competitive with Apple Inc's iPad and offer more functions than Amazon.com Inc's Kindle.

The new Nook Color should come with even more powerful hardware and should support Android 3.0 Honeycomb. No other details have been disclosed yet.

And where did you find an official statement that says it'll be more powerful and support Honeycomb? Everything I've seen suggests it's going to be a lower-end reader; a Kindle-killer, if you will.. B&N has never shown any interest in producing a full-blown tablet. Instead, they've always focused on a book-centric device because that's their core business. Becoming an electronics manufacturer would be a very bold step in today's already flooded marketplace. I'd welcome the idea of a bigger, better, faster NC2; but I don't see it happening.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
And where did you find an official statement that says it'll be more powerful and support Honeycomb? Everything I've seen suggests it's going to be a lower-end reader; a Kindle-killer, if you will.. B&N has never shown any interest in producing a full-blown tablet. Instead, they've always focused on a book-centric device because that's their core business. Becoming an electronics manufacturer would be a very bold step in today's already flooded marketplace. I'd welcome the idea of a bigger, better, faster NC2; but I don't see it happening.

Barnes and Noble Working on Nook Color Successor Last paragraph before the Nook picture.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
In agreement with above, I think that barnes and noble will not become an electronics manufacturer based on the fact that they are a bookstore and not apple, or lenovo, or acer.