Barnes & Noble announces new touch-enabled Nook for $139

nomadjim

Oct 28, 2010
Not to be outdone by Kobo which just unleashed it's latest E Ink reader yesterday the folks at Barnes & Noble are back with the latest update to their line of Nook devices. The "all new" Nook is touch enabled and lasts up to two months on a single charge. The Pearl E Ink screen boasts "80-percent less flashing" during page turns, something that many fans of the devices have resigned themselves to having their eyes assaulted by. And B&N is quite proud of its streamlined interface which it brags has 37 less buttons than the Kindle 3. Around the back is a soft-touch rubber surface that should feel great in the hand while reading, though, we'll have to wait to manhandle one ourselves to be sure.

Barnes & Noble announces new touch-enabled Nook for $139 -- Engadget

Jim

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
So this is the big announcement. Thought it was going to be another nook color

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
This looks like a great device; it's android 2.1 so I wonder if it can be rooted and accept the kindle for android app?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am sure it will be able to be rooted since it is Android based. The original nook reader was rooted as well. Of course it won't be the same as rooting a nook color but should be useful for certain things like using other reader apps.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
"B&N CEO William Lynch promised the "longest battery life of any e-reader," or up to two months on a single charge, and 80 percent less flashing on the 6-inch touch screen; the white-out that occurs when flipping pages. There is 50 percent less contrast than the first-edition Nook."

I could see where the 2 month charge could be very very attractive to an number of people...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
$phpuNi8Jk42Nook_BarnesNoble_CNET_1.jpg

Wow, this thing is tiny.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I am sure it will be able to be rooted since it is Android based. The original nook reader was rooted as well. Of course it won't be the same as rooting a nook color but should be useful for certain things like using other reader apps.

That will be very cool. :)

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
This would be awesome, if it could get the kindle, kobo, calibre and google books it would be the ULTIMATE ebook reader

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
This would be awesome, if it could get the kindle, kobo, calibre and google books it would be the ULTIMATE ebook reader

Maybe they should have named it the one reader instead of the "Simple Touch Reader."

One Reader to rule them all, One Reader to find them,
One Reader to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

bunsonh

Apr 26, 2011
I agree that there will likely be a drive for rooting and apps development, if based solely on the fact that there is no browser...

Dec 17, 2010
I'd like to know more about the battery life. Is the two month period for someone who rarely uses it? What about someone who may use it for several hours a day?

rokky

Oct 22, 2010

Nah - "ultimate" would be all those types with color eInk for magazine and color-format book reading in this form factor.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011

What do you mean ,J P ,that it won 't be the same as rooting the nook color?
Gg