Battery Drain: Held Awake

dbvirago

Sep 11, 2012
I charge my battery in the evening, which normally gives me 24 hours of my normal use. I have app killer and gsam battery monitor. Before shutting down for the night, I kill all apps. Usually, when I put it to sleep, the only thing open is the reader. Wifi is off. As far as I can tell, the unit is in the same state every night.

Most times, it will use 1 or 2% overnight. Some nights, it will use 40-50%. When I look at the battery monitor, the held awake graph is the culprit and when I drill down, it always says media. I can't figure out what is waking it up. None of the stats under the different charts make sense. Even though my battery is at 55% and it says 93% of battery drain comes from held awake, if I bring up the time held awake, it shows media: 1m 24s. Under Sensor time used, it will shows 2.6% battery used by Media 3h 45m. I don't know what the sensor is.

Does anyone have experience with gsam that can help me understand what is draining the battery?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I use G SAM, but it may not be very useful in this situation. If it was me, I would not continue killing apps as that is unlikely to be a way to solve any problems and I get a 2% drain overnight without killing anything but WiFi. App killers in Android are of dubious benefit.

I would start my restarting your Nook, then install Auto Airplane Mode (by DON) from the Google Store. Don't make any changes to that app. restart again and try overnight without killing anything to see what happens. AAM kills WiFi when your Nook goes to sleep but WiFi activity is the primary battery drain.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Definitely strange behavior and is almost certain to be related to a rouge app. It might not be a media app itself but have hooks to a media function (video or sound). Did you add or update any apps recently before experiencing the problem? If so you may want to try freezing those apps in System>Apps or with an app like Titanium Backup or even your task killer probably does it and you can pretty much do the same through GSAM, so you have options on how to freeze suspects.

leeshor's suggestion is good to see if you can negate the problem but it doesn't really address the root cause. That will take some digging.

JP