Battery Life When Rooted?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Is battery life affected much by rooting? I'm not see any drastic reduction so far although I did drain it to about 18% with all the downloading I've been doing! :)

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Is battery life affected much by rooting? I'm not see any drastic reduction so far although I did drain it to about 18% with all the downloading I've been doing! :)

Shouldnt affect it

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Shouldnt affect it

I agree, the rooting process itself should have no effect. The difference, if any, would be a matter of the CM7 ROM power usage vs. the stock ROM power usage. I recall something about sleep mode problems in CM7 making it a little worse, but that might have already been fixed. I'm pretty sure JP will be able to set me straight on that point.:)

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
I agree, the rooting process itself should have no effect. The difference, if any, would be a matter of the CM7 ROM power usage vs. the stock ROM power usage. I recall something about sleep mode problems in CM7 making it a little worse, but that might have already been fixed. I'm pretty sure JP will be able to set me straight on that point.:)

Latest nightlies of cm7 fixed the sleep issue though rankly it wasnt much of problem if you charge it before bedtime - mine can last a day and a half or longer in standby

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Mine will last for days in deep sleep, {after installing Nook Tweaks (after CM-7.1.0-RC1-encore)}.
I check mail now and then then; back to sleep.
I'm two days in and still showing 86%.

1hen2ducks

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
With full internet use I have an average of 10-12% per hour.At 1200mhz usually.
Deep sleep doesnt consume anything.Whole night without using it and next day is around 1% down.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good responses. As others have said rooting by itself won't make a difference. What will make a difference is using OC kernels and changing processor governing settings. Battery life with CM7 7.0.3 Stable and non deep sleep versions is about the same as stock or rooted. Maybe a little less but you are getting a performance bump from 800MHz to at least 925MHz. Deep sleep extends standby life condsiderably while use time stays about the same.

Generally speaking you can get about 8hrs of moderate use and about 1-2 days standby without deepsleep and several days standby with deep sleep.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I downloaded Nook Tweeks but it's useless. Says it's not compatible and "a newer version of Dalingrins kernal is required" I'm running CM7 (7.0.3) off an SD card.

Last edited:

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
I downloaded Nook Tweeks but it's useless. Says it's not compatible and "a newer version of Dalingrins kernal is required" I'm running CM7 (7.0.3) off an SD card.

Then flash Dalingrins Kernal and try again. Nook Tweaks gives you nice control of Processor - and ability to boost sound volume as well.

[Kernel][Stock1.2][Already included in CM7] Dalingrin's OC kernel [6/30/11] - xda-developers

I think the newer Nightly CM7 ROM's have the Dalingrin kernal as a part of the builds - but don't hold me to it.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
7.1rc1 n136 and above incorporate the overclock kernel. N150 added the fast boot (under 30 seconds to boot). These nightlies are very good and improve the overall operation of the nook.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Cm7.1rc1 is the latest release. The nightly builds of 7.1 have many new features not available in 7.0.3. The overclock kernel was included in nightly 136 (I think that was right) and the new fast boot was included in nghtly 150 and above.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
I have yet to see a thirty second boot time. Mine's more like eighty seconds, which ain't bad either.
Quad tested at 2285

Mike
CM 7 running nightly 160