Battery Life

aintnorock

Aug 23, 2013
I am a complete noob when it comes to tablets, so bear with me.

I have Android O/S 4.1.1 on a generic, no brand name, made in China by slave children (I made that last part up, probably true) 8" tablet.

I also have a Vizio 8" running Honeycomb.

I find battery operating life on both to be severely limited to about an hour or two if operated continuously. Is there any way to improve battery life, of should I have purchased more expensive tablets in the first place?:(

Can you replace the batter to a better one without voiding the warranties (realizing that all are different).

Thanks,
Carl​

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Replacing the battery would definitely void your warranty. Screen brightness is generally the biggest user of your battery, try turning it down as far as you reasonably can.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Long battery life is definitely not a top priority for the Chinese domestic tabs. 2 hours max of video viewing is about all you can expect. 4.5 to 5 hours for the name brands is average.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The only tablet I have owned that had bad battery life was d2pad, I could increase battery life by lowering the CPU speed. JB 4.1.1 waste battery life, that's one reason why I use 4.0.4 on my Lenovo instead of 4.1.1.

Look at lowering CPU, and as Spider said brightness. The same tweaks used on cell phones to get the most out of your battery works for tablets.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 using Android Tablet

edap

Dec 12, 2012
There are apps like CPUtuner and setCPU that allow you to set your tablet's CPU speed, but they require that your device be rooted. Other than that, apps like microCPUmonitor allow you to monitor your CPU usage only. However, I should point out that Android tries to optimize CPU usage by automatically shutting down cores when not needed.