Before buying a tablet

kentshiremen

Mar 6, 2012
Which features are most important?
Use this list to compare tablets

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No wonder shopping for a tablet is confusing! Here's a list of some of the features you might consider in a tablet.[/FONT]
1. Processor Speed 2. Size of Touch Screen 3. Operating System Version 4. Capacitive Touch Screen with Multi-Touch 5. Battery Life
6. Take high definition pictures. 7. HD Camcorder 8. Flash Capable 9. Memory can be expanded 10. Built in memory
11. HDMI out port 12. 3G Capability 13. Removable Battery 14. Availability of Cases & Accessories 15. GPS Capability

Resistive Touch vs. Capacitive Touch Screens
Capacitive is better, but more expensive.
Resistive touch screens work well with a stylus or fingernail. Capacitive touch screens work best with your finger tip, and they will not respond to a touch that isn't capacitive. If you use your fingernail, it won't work! If you want to use a stylus with a capacitive touch screen, you'll need to buy a capacitive stylus.

Capacitive screens are generally better than resistive. They are more sensitive. Often, they have multi-touch capability which means you can use two fingers at a time. This is handy for zooming in, or zooming out on a webpage.

Resistive screens can only sense one touch at a time.

Screen Size Comparison
Common Tablet Sizes: 5", 7" , 10"
A 5" tablet screen is just a little bit bigger than an iPhone screen. Some large smartphones have a 5" screen. It's definitely the smallest size tablet available.5" tablet I know of is the Cube U15GT2 which will be used as a gps.

A 7" tablet screen is definitely big enough to read on, and for personal viewing, large enough for video because you hold it pretty close to your eyes. However, some people prefer a larger screen. The iPad has a 10" screen.

Generally, larger screens cost more, so if you want to buy a cheaper tablet, you may want to consider a 7" or 8" tablet. There are lots of 7" tablets, but the only 8" tablet I know of is the AigoPad M80.

Things to do before buying a tablet
A checklist
1. Read Description & Specifications. Does the product do what you want it to do? If you're not sure, check out the manufacturer's website, or look for a review on google from a well known website, like cnet.
2. Read Customer Reviews. Watch out for fake ones. If you're on Amazon's site, check to see if the review says "Amazon Verified Purchase." This means that the review is from a real customer. Some companies have been caught paying for fake reviews!
3. Look at the Owner's Manual if you have any unanswered questions. This can usually be found on the manufacturer's website, sometimes under the "Support" section.
4. Compare Prices I like to look at Google Product Search, Overstock, Amazon, Ebay, Newegg, Geeks, and Tiger Direct.
5. Ask a friend or relative who's a nerd for their opinion. Being the family computer nerd, I often get questions after the product is already bought. If you're going to ask for an opinion, it's best to do so before you buy anything!

EricEE

Mar 9, 2012
Helpfull, but i really think that 7" is not that great to read ebooks..unless you want to spend all the time zooming in and out. I got one of 7" and its not that good for ebooks....but overall, im very satisfied with it!!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
EricEE said:
Helpfull, but i really think that 7" is not that great to read ebooks..unless you want to spend all the time zooming in and out. I got one of 7" and its not that good for ebooks....but overall, im very satisfied with it!!

That's interesting, my experience has been quite different, I find my 10" tablet to be too large and a little cumbersome for reading and my 7"is just about perfect. Most readers allow for changing the font size as well. Now for pdf files the larger screen is definitely a better choice.