Best Android tablet apart from nexus 10.

danny30

Aug 9, 2013
I just ordered a nexus 10 16gb version but am very worried that the 16gb will not be enough for me. I can't afford the 32gb model unfortunately and the lack of an SD slot is a big downfall in my opinion.

Is there any other android tablet that is close to being as good as the nexus 10 for about £350 max and with an SD slot preferably that you could recommend? Thanks

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
That lack of an SD card slot is a killer for me. Google isn't making a lot on those tablets but not having the SD card does save a tiny bit on their cost. I would have opted for a Samsung over the Nexus myself. Can't really recommend one over another.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I really think the lack of SD expansion is less a cost issue and more to tie you to their services much like Amazon and Apple. When I had the original Kindle Fire it quickly became an issue.

Best reason I've heard/seen.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hi, danny30, after read your post, i think one tablet is very suitable for you , it is Onda V972 Allwinner A31 Quad Core tablet pc, RAM 2GB ROM 16GB/32GB , also Support TF card up to 32GB extended, i think such large memory should be able to meet your requirements, hope you can like it .

Best Regards
SpeMall.com

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I really think the lack of SD expansion is less a cost issue and more to tie you to their services much like Amazon and Apple. When I had the original Kindle Fire it quickly became an issue.

I totally agree that it's more of a marketing ploy to get you to buy the 32GB model after you've maxed out your 16GB tab. What a nuisance. But, I guess it's working.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Maybe the reason is simpler than that, based on what Martius Duarte stated here: https://plus.google.com/114892667463719782631/posts/JAAMUzx1PFX. (scroll down for his post on the subject)

That actually makes sense to me, even though I prefer the SD card option. I realize that on the geek scale, most folks using these devices are more similar to my mother or my brother. For example, my brother could care less about where the files are as long as he can check grain futures on the road or play angry birds. He's not at all interested in jumping through technical hoops with file managers, etc. Most tablet owners just want simple operation, and they want the software to be smart enough to manage objects for them without manual effort or decisions on their part.

I thought I would miss the sd card slot on my Nexus 7. Apparently not. It's still my favorite tablet compared to my two Acers, and with all of the networking options, both local and cloud, I have found that I don't miss the exteral SD card at all.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Do you have the 32GB version, sir? At any rate, 3 tablets adds up to a lot of storage capacity.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Maybe the reason is simpler than that, based on what Martius Duarte stated here: https://plus.google.com/114892667463719782631/posts/JAAMUzx1PFX. (scroll down for his post on the subject)

That actually makes sense to me, even though I prefer the SD card option. I realize that on the geek scale, most folks using these devices are more similar to my mother or my brother. For example, my brother could care less about where the files are as long as he can check grain futures on the road or play angry birds. He's not at all interested in jumping through technical hoops with file managers, etc. Most tablet owners just want simple operation, and they want the software to be smart enough to manage objects for them without manual effort or decisions on their part.

I thought I would miss the sd card slot on my Nexus 7. Apparently not. It's still my favorite tablet compared to my two Acers, and with all of the networking options, both local and cloud, I have found that I don't miss the exteral SD card at all.

I read what Martius Duarte wrote found it laughable, if he believes what he wrote, he is an arse, simply add the sdcard slot and move on the users that want it will buy a micro sdcard, your brother and others that don't want it wont. see how easy it is to please both sides?

adding the sdcard doesn't effect your brother or anyone one like him that doesn't care about it, they simply don't buy a micro sdcard or use the slot, now those like myself and others like me, simply buy the micro sdcard and are just as happy with the slot as your brother is without the slot.

So adding the sdcard slot simply pleases more people and angers none, but Martius Duarte and google.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
I read what Martius Duarte wrote found it laughable, if he believes what he wrote, he is an arse, simply add the sdcard slot and move on the s that want it will buy a micro sdcard, your brother and others that don't want it wont. see how easy it is to please both sides?

adding the sdcard doesn't effect your brother or anyone one like him that doesn't care about it, they simply don't buy a micro sdcard or use the slot, now those like myself and others like me, simply buy the micro sdcard and are just as happy with the slot as your brother is without the slot.

So adding the sdcard slot simply pleases more people and angers none, but Martius Duarte and google.
Additional hardware adds design, adds software, adds testing, adds cost. Don't underestimate what things cost. No one is pleased by a higher price to pay for something they do not want. If broad market analysis (as opposed to a narrow band of tech opinions) shows that most people don't want or need a particular option, then that should not be ignored.

Internal storage is clearly more seamless, and again, while the geek side of me personally likes the convenience of sd card slots, I admit that I have some devices with sd card slots that I've never plugged a card into. I'm just agreeing that it often makes sense for the benefit of most customers to eliminate certain options, no matter how dear those are to some. My mom can at least put change in her car ash tray, but the unused sd card slot she paid for serves no other useful purpose.

It's really great that there are so many fine choices out there, providing different options and quality at different prices. That's how more people are pleased ...not by every vendor trying to make the exact same product with the exact same options to satisfy a few critics. We can all buy what we are willing to pay for, and that's a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Do you really think there is any real cost for a sdcard slot? come on man, you can buy tablets for less than $50 that include the sdcard slot, so cost for sdcard slot is nothing, the only cost is to the customers, Google charges for storage and that and that alone is the only reason that their tablets have no sdcard slot.

Every tablet I own has a sdcard slot, other than Google's devices I haven't seen or held any other tablet that doesn't have a sdcard slot.

Last edited:

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
I just ordered a nexus 10 16gb version but am very worried that the 16gb will not be enough for me. I can't afford the 32gb model unfortunately and the lack of an SD slot is a big downfall in my opinion.

Is there any other android tablet that is close to being as good as the nexus 10 for about £350 max and with an SD slot preferably that you could recommend? Thanks

Where did you order the 16GB Nexus 10 at? I ask because numerous vendors are selling the 32GB version for far less than what it sells for on Google Play.

The best recent deal was $369.99 w/free shipping for a brand-new/unopened Nexus 10 32GB...

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Do you really think there is any real cost for a sdcard slot? come on man, you can buy tablets for less than $50 that include the sdcard slot, so cost for sdcard slot is nothing, the only cost is every tablet I own has a sdcard slot, other than Google's devices I haven't seen or held any other tablet that doesn't have a sdcard slot.

Well thanks to Google, we now have a choice to buy one without an SD card slot.

On the cost issue, every bit of hardware and even software requires the expenditure of resources, and money is what we use to pay for that. Even if the cost is only $5/unit, that's important when you are trying to stay within a certain price range, because $5 here $10 there, etc., can very quickly raise the price of a $250 device to $300. It's silly to ignore the fact that getting more stuff costs more money, and yes, I'm have no doubt that Google is in business to make money on tablets and other services. It's just a bunch of people with families and bills to pay, etc. People do like to be paid, and I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm fairly certain that most people would expect the SD card slot in $250+ device to hold up and perform better than one in a $50 device. If you do happen to find a $50 tablet that provides the same quality and reliability as $250+ devices from Samsung, Asus, etc, then please let us know. I'm sure that a lot of folks would be very interested in that.

Last edited: