Best Large Tablet for solely GPS

Bigwidge

Oct 11, 2011
I am looking for a LARGE tablet, preferably 10", that would be used solely for GPS purposes. No need for 3G or anything, although if it has capability it would be nice. Mainly I want a tablet that would work well for navigation is the USA, and needs to have Google Maps (Want to pre-cache maps and have then stored when out of Wifi)

rjm2140

Sep 2, 2011
My only experience is with the Acer A500 and it works great as a GPS & compass.

Google Maps & Google Earth run smooth as can be on it; adding EarthNC Lite gives the added benefit of topo maps & marine charts!

I'm very pleased with A500 & highly recommend it.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Zhopa

Sep 26, 2011
Hi rjm!

I have Iconia too and hope you can give me advice: whatbis the proper way for google maps to keep maps on device memory? i.e. will I have all maps when there is no internet connectin?
thanks!

rjm2140

Sep 2, 2011
Hi rjm!

I have Iconia too and hope you can give me advice: whatbis the proper way for google maps to keep maps on device memory? i.e. will I have all maps when there is no internet connectin?
thanks!

Be sure you have the latest copy of Google maps running. Tap on the icon in the upper right hand corner & then tap on 'Labs'. Enable 'Pre-cache map area'. Now, when you're in an area of interest on a map, long tap the map. A window will appear; tap on the balloon with the right arrow head & a menu will appear. Tap 'Pre-cache map area'. You've now saved a 10 mile area of the map to your A500. I don't think that there is a way to save a larger portion, but let me know if you find one.

If you don't find 'Labs' in your menu, then it may be a plugin that I installed & you'll need to download/install it (sorry, I can't remember for sure).

Hope this helps you.

Zhopa

Sep 26, 2011
Thanks rjm!

One more question, if you don't mind :))) eh

Is there way to DELETE cached maps, selectively? I.e. I have couple maps of one area and couple maps of completely different area (or country). After the trip I want to delete only foreign maps. Is is possible? I can't find such feature...

Thanks!

rjm2140

Sep 2, 2011
Thanks rjm!

One more question, if you don't mind :))) eh

Is there way to DELETE cached maps, selectively? I.e. I have couple maps of one area and couple maps of completely different area (or country). After the trip I want to delete only foreign maps. Is is possible? I can't find such feature...

Thanks!

Yes, you can selectively delete each cached map. Tap on the icon in the upper right hand corner & then tap on 'Cache Settings'. Then tap on 'Pre-cached Map Areas'. A list of all of your map areas will appear. Just tap the red X to delete those that are no longer required. Have a nice trip.