Best NOOKcolor setup for video playback?

EpicTaco

Mar 24, 2011
Well, I've been reading a lot of articles here and elsewhere about what can be accomplished with a nook color, and needless to say I'm very interested in getting one. I know the NC has video playback capabilities (pretty good too if done right), and I'm curious what is the best setup for best video playback performance? I mean like ROM, apps, etc (I read some ROMs do not work well with video). Ideally, an app with a reasonable amount of supported codecs and adjustable features (like slow mo, zoom, etc) would be best. Even if there's audio/visual lag that would probably be okay because I would mostly be playing American sign language videos that do not have audio anyway :p (but smooth playback is important). Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

dpakrr

Feb 8, 2011
hmm rom wise:
stock nook - allows hardware decoding for videos. no flash unless you sideload apk
nookie froyo - hardware decoding and flash
honeycomb - hardware decoding and flash
cm7 - allows flash but no hardware decoding. theres been a build released by dalingrin which allows hardware decoding but slow fps.
phiremod - allows flash but no hardware decoding

appwise, theres some good ones like rockplayer, qqplayer, vplayer

EpicTaco

Mar 24, 2011
Thank you for the replies! So now I'm researching which would be better: rooted Stock with side loaded flash apk, or nookie froyo. The stock (rooted of course) should be compatible with those video apps you mentioned dpakrr, correct? So I guess it boils down to if the video apps work better in stock or nookie froyo... any suggestions? Maybe someone has tried/can comparing the two with, say, rockplayer or vplayer?

EpicTaco

Mar 24, 2011
I just read up on that RaVenJ. It seems to have solved my question,Thanks :)
Since your using QQplayer, could you tell me what features it has? I'm mostly interested in Slow-mo (slow down).

EpicTaco

Mar 24, 2011
So if I just get a CM7 rom, I can update it to this video fixed version right? Or is it a specific rom? I guess what I'm asking is, what's the easiest way to get this "fixed" version on an NC that doesn't have CM7 on it yet?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
1 - Make a bootable CWR card
2 - Download and copy the ROM to the card
3 - Reboot your NC with the card in
4 - Clear your cache and davlik cache (under advanced) -
5 - Make a backup! Back everything up to the card and you'll always have a happy spot to return to.
6 - Clear data, system, cache and davlik cache (under advanced) (yes, I clear everything again, just to be 100% sure) (Don't clear boot! I did once, and it wasn't pretty) - Note, when I clear everything, my CWR usually locks up.. Just reboot, it's fine. You'll come back up in CWR.
7 - Flash the zip from your SD
8 - Unmount and remove the SD card
9 - Reboot into glorious Gingerbread... Then realize you have no market..
10 - Go find the Google apps ROM and flash it in the exact same manner as you did the main ROM..
11 - Unmount an remove the card again..
12 - Reboot and enjoy your glorious Gingerbread PLUS Google app goodness! Then wonder "hmm.. Could it be faster?" Oh yes, it can be faster..
13 - Go find the 1.1ghz kernel and flash it in the exact same manner as you did the main ROM and the Gapps ROM..
14 - Unmount an remove the card again..
15 - Reboot and be happy.. Until the next ROM is released, then go back to step one and do it all over again..

All that sounds complicated, right? That takes literally 30 minutes or less to complete, including downloading all the ROMs and everything.

EDIT: Oh, and I have no idea on the slow motion thing with QQ.. I just hit play and it works. Slow motion would be gnarly, cuz I play guitar and that'd be a good tool to have.

EpicTaco

Mar 24, 2011
I really appreciate you breaking it down like that RaVenJ. Is there any chance this could be booted from an SD card rather than put on internal? I'd like to make one an try it on a demo NC if that's possible :p

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Probably, but I've never done it. Hit the technical forum for that stuff.