Best protection for Tablet?

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
I use the Zagg screen protection devices for my other LCD based gadgets. Since the Tablet is the same size as the Nook Color I went to see what they had for the Color, figuring it should fit on the Tablet. I saw they have a screen protector and a couple of other models that look like they're designed for the front and back of the Color (Tablet). What confused me is that it looks like only one of the configurations has the small diagonal cutout that would match the lower left edge of the Nook. I can't figure how the other two models would fit on the front.

Additionally, I've read varying posts about how shields in general may affect the touch responsiveness of the Nook display. Anyone know how the Zagg measures up in this regard?

Arrrrrggghhhh! I just made the mistake of reading through a thread on adroidcentral about screen protectors. I didn't realize there were so many - Boxwave, Skinomi, Clarivue, Phantom Skinz, and more. Made my head spin. One thing that did seem to come out was that the Zagg has more of an orange peel effect and feels a bit slower than some of the others. I looked at the LCD screens on a couple of my cams and have to admit the Zagg does seem to effect the clarity just a bit. Don't want that for the Tablet. So now what to do?

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Tony, the Nook Color has two options that came from B&N that are very nice. One is a straight screen protector, the other is anti-glare screen protector. I got the regular one (not anti-glare) and have been very happy with it. It does have a slightly different feel than just the glass but I don't even notice now. One advantage is that it attracts less finger prints than the glass.

The Nook Tablet has one piece of glass top to bottom which included the n button and a small diagonal in the lower left. The Nook Color uses two pieces of glass so that there is a thin plastic bar between the bottom of the screen and the n button (basically the diagonal across is a separate piece).

If you get a screen protector for the Nook Color and use it on the tablet it should be just fine but it will not cover the last 1/2 inch. I haven't had any problems with damage to this area or scratching since you don't really use or touch it. But the full protection is of course going to be a little better. That is why you see the Nook Tablet protectors with the missing corner.

I also have been a frequent user of Best Skins Ever which seems to be thicker and a little slower in terms of touch/feel though it doesn't bother me on the smaller phone screen. It really becomes a matter of preference but I can say the B&N ones are nice. At least for the Nook Color you get two in the pack and a nice screen cloth. A year later and I still have the second protector sitting in reserve.

JP

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Thanks JP. Have you noticed any difference in screen clarity, sharpness, or responsiveness?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nope can't tell it is on there as far as clarity/sharpness. The responsiveness isn't lagging but the feel of the protector is definitely different than just the glass. The Nook Color is know to have a very sensitive screen and sometimes just having an oily screen can throw off responsiveness. The screen protector seems to help since the oils and dirt don't build up as easily as on the glass.

Plus you can just wipe on your shirt or jeans or whatever else is handy since you don't have to worry about scuffing the glass. I find I'll wipe the screen more frequently if I don't have to worry about what I am wiping it with.

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
I saw the thread title and thought.....

Locked bootloader?

*I kid..I kid*

Ha!

Well, I was out anyway so I stopped at B&N and bought their anti-glare protector. Just put it on. Completely painless. I made sure the screen was spotless and dust free (I even used a can of compressed air). Lined up the protector along the top edge and gradually peeled back the rest of the cover sheet as it traveled down the screen. A little careful bubble work with a credit card and it was done.

It looks good, but I do have to admit that I don't like that it doesn't go right to the edges of the screen on left and right. There's a small sliver on either side now where dust and grime can build up. But it did go on easy. I'll live with it and see how it works.