Best Way To Convert Videos?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I generally convert mine to an MP4 format using Handbrake or a similar tool. And if you search the forum, there are various recommedaions for their favorite rip or conversion tool.

tomsecreto

Aug 25, 2011
I agree "Handbreak" is GREAT and FREE. Seems to work a bit better on my Mac but that just might be because I really have not tried much using my Windows laptop.
I does take about an hour using my dual core 2 Mac but the quality is great from my purchased DVD source.

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
At first, you should pick an easier video converting tool. Foxreal video converter is recommended, it could convert video formats like TiVo, MXF, MKV, MTS, M2TS, TS, MOD, TOD, FLV, F4V, AVI, WMA, QuickTime MOV, VOB, MP4, MPG, MPEG, SWF, ASF, MVI, VP6, EVO, VRO, DV, MP3, AC3, MKA, WMA, WAV, M4A, OGG, APE and more. It also helps you edit video with cropping, trimming, adding watermarks/effects, removing interlaces, replacing audio file, etc.

By installing a patch, you can get the special transformer preset, as follows

$transformer-special-preset.png

it's very easy to operate, Just 3 steps, you will finish the process, worth a try :)

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Any Video Converter works well.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I've found that Handbrake works well for my needs.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Try downloading MXPlayer. It was just mentioned on a different thread and might work for you.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

jhnjohn

Apr 10, 2012
what is the best way to convert videos to an asus eee pad format?

If you are looking to convert ant other file format videos form an Android based operating system then it is possible with the help of an Android Video converter tool. It has make easy to convert any video files like an flv, wmv , mov and vob to an Android supported video file format.

fdd87

Apr 4, 2012
I hate to be such a newbie, but could you tell me, walk me through, how you get movies to your pc then to a sd card? I see you need a format converter and I'm familiar with xilisoft. Can you purchase new movies? Who do you buy them from? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

D

dvdcatalyst

I hate to be such a newbie, but could you tell me, walk me through, how you get movies to your pc then to a sd card? I see you need a format converter and I'm familiar with xilisoft. Can you purchase new movies? Who do you buy them from? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Hi fdd87,

Welcome to the forums.

Conversion tools convert your existing movies, such as DVDs you pick up from the store. You run the program on your computer, insert your DVD, and start the conversion process.
Once the conversion is done, the program created a copy of the DVD in a video file on your computer. You then copy this video file to your memorycard.

Tazzin

Jun 27, 2012
Hey guys,

Let me ask a little more detailed about the conversion process.. I have a Visual Land Prestige 7 and would like to know what is the best compression settings for a movie and yet small in gb's...? I have done a couple of movies but the video is somewhat not right, you can see a mat in video where the color/brightness changes like the blacks, you can like a layer effect that you can see across the shades of black.. My averaging size is 2.5 gb of movie but doesn't show like a regular dvd. The screen size of the tablet is 7 in.. so not sure if 2.5 gb size movie means my video bitrate is too low causing the picture to be somewhat 'mat'd'...

D

dvdcatalyst

Hey guys,

Let me ask a little more detailed about the conversion process.. I have a Visual Land Prestige 7 and would like to know what is the best compression settings for a movie and yet small in gb's...? I have done a couple of movies but the video is somewhat not right, you can see a mat in video where the color/brightness changes like the blacks, you can like a layer effect that you can see across the shades of black.. My averaging size is 2.5 gb of movie but doesn't show like a regular dvd. The screen size of the tablet is 7 in.. so not sure if 2.5 gb size movie means my video bitrate is too low causing the picture to be somewhat 'mat'd'...

The best format for quality and compression is MP4 with H264 video, but each converter uses their own settings, so even though you might be using the same bitrate settings, there are cosmetic differences.
Of course the bitrate is a big factor, but 2.5GB for a movie from a DVD is a bit large.

My movies are usually around the 1.1-1.5GB, and look great. With the recently introduced CRF feature in DVD Catalyst, some movies even end up around 600MB and look nearly identical to the DVD.

Tazzin

Jun 27, 2012
Than dvdcatalyst, do you have any suggestive steps to take while i'm setting up to rip a movie? I haven't had the time until to toy with this.. can you give me the settings/steps you use to copy a movie? I have a 32 gb drive and know I put several movies on there if I just rip is correctly but again, my novice learning curve is getting the larger file set..

Also, do you have any suggestions on the blacks and color that looks 'mat'd'? Of course, it is probably just me but now sure if I'm missing a setting on the display for screen resolution or color depth or something...

Again, thanks for the information you gave, i'll go home tonight see what I can do and wait to hear back from you..

Tazzin

D

dvdcatalyst

Than dvdcatalyst, do you have any suggestive steps to take while i'm setting up to rip a movie? I haven't had the time until to toy with this.. can you give me the settings/steps you use to copy a movie? I have a 32 gb drive and know I put several movies on there if I just rip is correctly but again, my novice learning curve is getting the larger file set..

Also, do you have any suggestions on the blacks and color that looks 'mat'd'? Of course, it is probably just me but now sure if I'm missing a setting on the display for screen resolution or color depth or something...

Again, thanks for the information you gave, i'll go home tonight see what I can do and wait to hear back from you..

Tazzin

Hi Tazzin,

Based on the specs I found here,

Visual Land Inc.

I'd suggest to use h264 video, with aac stereo audio.

If you just watch the movies on your tablet, you can get away with a screen size setting for your video of 800x480 (your tablets resolution) with video encoded at about 1000Kbps or so (audio 128/160Kbps)

If you intend to use the TV out cable, you can use a resolution of (supposedly) 1920x1080, but it also depends on the source you use. DVDs have a way lower resolution than that, and it is better to encode your movies at their original resolution and have the tablet "upscale" the video than to do the upscaling during the conversion.

If you use DVD Catalyst 4, you could follow the instructions in this guide:

Ultimate Motorola Xoom Video How To Guide | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4

and where you select your device (the Xoom profile in the guide), select one of the MP4 > Android profiles, which basically set the settings correctly for your tablet.

My personal preference goes towards using the MP4 > Android HQXT profile, because this automatically enables the CRF setting I mentioned earlier.

$android_hqxt.jpg

These are the steps I do myself:

1. start DVD Catalyst 4
2. Select profile (DVD Catalyst remembers, so you only have to do this once)
3. Insert the DVD you want to convert or drag video files (mkv, avi etc) over that you want to convert.
4. Tap Go
5. Wait until done, then copy your movies over where you want them.

As for matted colors, I don't run into that issue myself. If you do run into it, try playing your video file on your computer, and see if it has the same issue there. If it looks fine on your computer. it is likely a settings issue on your tablet.

Tazzin

Jun 27, 2012
Hey DVDCatalyst,

Ah, i was using Tablet / ICS tablet 7 In and trying to modify the settings (which probably wasn't right), I completely missed over the MP4 for the Device.. this was the settings I was getting at.. Thank you so much, i'll go mess around with this and see what comes of it.

So thanks again, i'm going down the correct rabbit trail now.. thanks for the direction.

Tazzin