Bluetooth mouse & keyboard?

jeff

Nov 15, 2010
I *think* like the Galaxy Tab more than I like the iPad. If I can get BT mouse & kb working, I will change that to *definitely*.

I have a Targus Bluetooth mouse and an Apple Bluetooth keyboard. The Galaxy will pair with the keyboard, show a keyboard icon in the device entry, and then ask me to enter a 6-digit code, which I do, which it accepts, but then... nothing. The status doesn't change to 'Connected', and the keyboard does not respond when I try to enter text in a text input field.

There's a similar problem with the mouse. It will pair with it, recognize it as a mouse, but it won't connect.

Is there something I need to install to get this to work?
Is rooting the device necessary?

Thanks for your help!

(P.S. Sorry if this question was asked already here. I searched a bit first and didn't see anything like this.)

Iron

Nov 21, 2010
Hi Jeff,
the Apple keyboard works for sure. I saw a video of this on youtube. I can only talk about hooking up my gtab with my bluetooth stereo headset and this works flawless. You don't need to install anything. Try a reboot... well you probably did...

I also connected the tab to no name bt keyboards and that worked too. Sorry, I can't help you more.

bmac65

Nov 21, 2010
I agree with post. I just purchased a Galaxy Tablet. I love the device, but I am unable to get my Mac bt keyboard, or any of my wireless ( magic mouse, Logitec, or Microsoft BT mouse ) to work. They show up as paired, but non work. I thought perhaps i needed a third party app, but after downloading 4 apps, none of which worked, still at the same place... bt is not working on this device. If i am not able to get this to work the item will be returned back to BestBuy.. any help would be appreciated.

jeff

Nov 15, 2010
Just tried rebooting, but the results are the same (it was wise of you to suggest it) ;). I get a pairing, but tapping Connect does nothing. In multiple YouTube videos I see that when the user taps Connect, it immediately goes to another screen. My Tab does not do that.

The YouTube videos that show a Tab working with a BT keyboard are all non-American in origin. My cynical side suspects that Samsung USA has disabled the Tab's ability to connect to HIDs in order to sell their own accessories (i.e., keyboard dock), instead of accessories from their biggest competitor. I suspect that this behavior is illegal in Germany. The laws there are created by the government and its citizens, not by corporations.

Other web sites discussing problems users have with BT indicate that Verizon has prohibited sending all but e-mail contacts and pictures to other devices over BT. I would extrapolate from that and believe that BT HID is also prohibited.

Anyone?

bmac65

Nov 21, 2010
Yes yes... i have seen the videos as well... apple keyboard, magic mouse, other bt devices, but simply put... they don't work for me. I have spent days trying to track down why no bt input devices work on my tab. I contacted the Verizon support, they referred me to Samsung support, who referred me to Apple and Logitech. I am close to giving up. I keep thinking there is a crucial step that surely i must be overlooking, but no where on the net, or with the tech support do they allude to anything other then what I have been doing is to be required... so I go into my tab to to wireless-enable BT- (BT has a big green check next to it)-go to my device and set it to sync with the tab( usually this consist of pressing down a button untill the device emits a rapid flashing sequence) - then i go back to the Tab and select "Scan devices"- the mouse shows up, in my case its a Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse, I click on this item - screen is greayed out for a sec then it comes back with the result " Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse Paired"- click on the device and hold down for a second, the a window pops " Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse" i select the " connect" option ( please note... i have done this also without this last step, but to no avail...
After this series of steps... no joy.. mouse does not work... should be noted that i have also tried same process with the Microsoft BT mouse and the Mac Magic Mouse.. and also the Mac BT wireless keyboard... none have worked.. so I thought.. hmmm maybe there is something equivlent to a device driver.. .went out to the app market and downloaded several apps that seemed to be HID , or bt drivers.. such as BlueInput, Air HID, Bluetooth,GPS, BTHF PowerSave, and PRemoteDroid... none of these have worked... so if anyone out there has any ideas or thoughts please feel free to chime in.. oh and yes.. .you will need to know that this is a
SCH-1800 Samsung Tablet
Firmware Version 2.2
Hardware version 1800.0.3
Kernel version 2.6.32.9
Build Number SCH-1800DJ11

bmac65

Nov 21, 2010
Jeff,
You make a strong pt , "Other web sites discussing problems users have with BT indicate that Verizon has prohibited sending all but e-mail contacts and pictures to other devices over BT. I would extrapolate from that and believe that BT HID is also prohibited." I will contact Verizon and get verification on this. If thats the case , this product will be place in my"Loss" Column and immediately get returned... I am looking for that next step above the IPAD.. something that will allow the versatility of use as a tab and also min computer.. but if you cant use the keyboard and mouse then this isn't gonna get it for me..

bmac65

Nov 21, 2010
IRON,
Who is your carrier... also can you list the specifics about your device such as:
SCH-1800 Samsung Tablet , or ?
Firmware Version ?
Hardware version ?
Kernel version ?
Build Number ?

You can find these in
Setting - About Device -
This will help me track down and trouble shoot the issue...
Tnks..

bmac65

Nov 21, 2010
Hi Jeff,
the Apple keyboard works for sure. I saw a video of this on youtube. I can only talk about hooking up my gtab with my bluetooth stereo headset and this works flawless. You don't need to install anything. Try a reboot... well you probably did...

I also connected the tab to no name bt keyboards and that worked too. Sorry, I can't help you more.
IRON,
Who is your carrier... also can you list the specifics about your device such as:
SCH-1800 Samsung Tablet , or ?
Firmware Version ?
Hardware version ?
Kernel version ?
Build Number ?

You can find these in
Setting - About Device -
This will help me track down and trouble shoot the issue...
Tnks..

Last edited:

jeff

Nov 15, 2010
From URL: Your Samsung Galaxy Tab Questions Answered:

"Will the Galaxy Tab support Bluetooth HID? Will it support Bluetooth headsets or keyboards?
No, and no, said Kim Titus, a Samsung representative. Looks like Samsung’s keyboard dock accessory is your only option."

I have installed Teksoft - Future Teknology BlueInput and followed the installation instructions, to no avail. Again, it sees the mouse and keyboard, but will not connect. After it properly recognizes and identifies the BT devices, it tells me there are no BT devices. Hm. :/

brettlingle

Nov 21, 2010
I have purchased three Samsung items the past two months a UN55C8000 3D LED TV for $2700, a Samsung Epic 4G and I bought the Galaxy Tablet Wednesday of last week and it's going back tomorrow because of this very reason. Now that I think of it I might take my Epic back too. I bought the Galaxy tab thinking I could use it in place of my laptop to take notes in class. Wrong! The onscreen keyboard did not work as expected for that so that left me with my Apple bluetooth keyboard to use but like all of you I am having the same problems too.

I left AT&T and my iphone because of Steve Jobs business practice of having an iron fist on what people can and can't do with a device they paid for. If I want to throw it out in the parking lot and run it over with my car I should be allowed to do so. I should also be able to install apps or use devices of my choice with products that I purchased without the company I purchased them from telling me that I cannot. If this is the case with Samsung here I won't be buying any more of their products either. It's too bad I can't take the TV back or I would. All I have to say is what the hell is the matter with these companies? This practice should be illegal in my opinion as it puts a monopoly on accessories you can use with it. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way. Seems like it would be a dumb thing to do as your making the device less user friendly. I can understand wanting to make a profit but this is just going a bit too damn far in my opinion. Especially after charging you $400 plus dollars for the device. Then they expect you to shell out more money to buy a keyboard they made? Not going to happen Samsung. I already have a perfectly fine keyboard with the Mac bluetooth keyboard I have.

I initially bought the Galaxy outright for $600 without a contract but I kept getting an error message stating that I needed to activate the device in other words purchase a contract for two years at $30 a month. Another scam to make more money! Ehh f*** em it's going back to the store tomorrow along with the epic...

Last edited:

brettlingle

Nov 21, 2010
Yes yes... i have seen the videos as well... apple keyboard, magic mouse, other bt devices, but simply put... they don't work for me. I have spent days trying to track down why no bt input devices work on my tab. I contacted the Verizon support, they referred me to Samsung support, who referred me to Apple and Logitech. I am close to giving up. I keep thinking there is a crucial step that surely i must be overlooking, but no where on the net, or with the tech support do they allude to anything other then what I have been doing is to be required... so I go into my tab to to wireless-enable BT- (BT has a big green check next to it)-go to my device and set it to sync with the tab( usually this consist of pressing down a button untill the device emits a rapid flashing sequence) - then i go back to the Tab and select "Scan devices"- the mouse shows up, in my case its a Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse, I click on this item - screen is greayed out for a sec then it comes back with the result " Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse Paired"- click on the device and hold down for a second, the a window pops " Bluetooth Laser Travel Mouse" i select the " connect" option ( please note... i have done this also without this last step, but to no avail...
After this series of steps... no joy.. mouse does not work... should be noted that i have also tried same process with the Microsoft BT mouse and the Mac Magic Mouse.. and also the Mac BT wireless keyboard... none have worked.. so I thought.. hmmm maybe there is something equivlent to a device driver.. .went out to the app market and downloaded several apps that seemed to be HID , or bt drivers.. such as BlueInput, Air HID, Bluetooth,GPS, BTHF PowerSave, and PRemoteDroid... none of these have worked... so if anyone out there has any ideas or thoughts please feel free to chime in.. oh and yes.. .you will need to know that this is a
SCH-1800 Samsung Tablet
Firmware Version 2.2
Hardware version 1800.0.3
Kernel version 2.6.32.9
Build Number SCH-1800DJ11
Typical practice of passing the blame to another company. The more I read up on this the more angry I get. Especially since the Samsung rep said flat out that it doesn't support it.

Last edited:

jeff

Nov 15, 2010
I bought mine at BestBuy in CT and they charge a restocking fee, and although I am disappointed I'm not so unhappy with the device that I'd pay BestBuy to take it back. It's quite nice in every respect except BT HID support, which I didn't know I wanted until I started using the Tab.

I am confident that either:
(A) With all the competition on the horizon (other 7" tablets), Samsung will cave in and provide BT HID support.
(B) With a device that's selling as well as this one, the hackers out there will find a way to add keyboard & mouse support. I am one of those hackers (I taught a course in Android development at university), but I wouldn't have time to consider a project like this until next summer.

I posted an Amazon review last night. Let's hope that Samsung is better than Microsoft at listening to its users. Amazon.com: Jeffrey A. Meunier's review of Samsung Galaxy Tab

jeff

Nov 15, 2010
I initially bought the Galaxy outright for $600 without a contract but I kept getting an error message stating that I needed to activate the device in other words purchase a contract for two years at $30 a month.

I also had to purchase 3G in order to activate the device, but BestBuy let me buy 1 month for $20 (mine uses Verizon). It's an unnecessary expense, but I was able to verify that it does work as a WiFi hotspot, and for web surfing, it wasn't slow at all. OTOH, it seems that there's a way to activate it without purchasing 3G service. I can't remember exactly what I read, but it was something like this: at the activation screen, click the UP volume button once, DOWN twice, UP three times, and DOWN four times. I wish I could remember now where I read that. It might have been on this forum.

specmac

Oct 19, 2010
I sympathize with your frustration. I'm just not upset at Samsung, because I never really expected BlueTooth input peripherals to work on this device. I base this on the fact Google has clearly stated Android is not yet ready to support tablets. In other words It's an OS issue and Google syas android will not be optimized for tablets till Honeycomb (2 releases out).

Last edited:

brettlingle

Nov 21, 2010
I sympathize with your frustration. I'm just not upset at Samsung, because I never really expected BlueTooth input peripherals to work on this device. I base this on the fact Google has clearly stated Android is not yet ready to support tablets. In other words It's an OS issue and Google syas android will not be optimized for tablets till Honeycomb (2 releases out).
Well too bad for them they didn't get my money on this one I took it back today for a full refund. Oh by the way in case you didn't read the previous posts a bluetooth keyboard and mouse works on the European version so it's not an OS issue. Not to mention they can use it as a phone with a paired bluetooth headset. The reason you can't do it here is because Samsung blocked that feature on it. Why even put bluetooth on a device if you can't use it? And of course naturally when I called Samsung customer support they tried blaming Sprint which may be true but both companies would benefit from blocking use of HID devices that they could sell you one of theirs instead.

Last edited: