Bought a 16 gb class 10 need to move downloaded applications to card

sdaisy

Nov 25, 2011
I have Acer iconia tab a500 want to move some downloaded applications such as Angry Bird, Pandora, words with friends etc...... to make room on my tablet, I have tried from the android market and downloaded move to SD card it will recognize with app can move to SD card but the tablet doesn't,t give you the option. Has someone that have Acer Iconia tab A500 had any success to move the app to SD card?
Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Class 10 memory cads are known not to work well on some devices, but that is the least of your problems. Honeycomb doesn't allow for app to be moved to an SD card period.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I use class 10, no problem. Class 10 is just the maximum speed the card can handle, but it will only work as fast as
the tabled. Cards are dumb, and can't over-run a tablet.

No app2sd feature is in honeycomb or ice-cream sandwich. Put your media, movies, pictures, and music on the card and
set your camera to record to the card and reserve your internal memory for apps.

sdaisy

Nov 25, 2011
Thank you for the info, I had no problem when I inserted the SD card class 10 it recognized it, Is there any reason why the tablet won't move the downloaded app to SD card, it works well on android phone, so I thought it will work the same on honeycomb 3.2 tablet. Thank you for quick reply. Happy Holiday to all!!!¡

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Is there any reason why the tablet won't move the downloaded app to SD card,

Look, two people have told you already.

THIS FEATURE IS NOT AVAILABLE IN HONEYCOMB (3.X) NOR IS IT PLANNED IN ICE CREAM SANDWICH (4.0).

The operating system does not support it.
There is no intent to add it in the future.
It is not a bug.
It is this way by design.
Its not going to change.

Android group lead by Google, is sick to death of manufacturers cheeping on the memory, requiring goofy solutions like app-2-sd. (Equivalent to storing your Computer applications on a flash drive because your hard drive was too small. This will force manufacturers to design adequate storage into the device.

By the time you fill up your main tablet storage with applications you will be sick of the old ones and can delete them. Do you know how many applications you can put in 16gig? I have three different versions of Angry Birds, 4 or 5 other huge games, and all sorts of utilities and music apps and I haven't even made a dent in 16gig.

Last edited:

sdaisy

Nov 25, 2011
@icebike, I know what you told me, I just feel it,s a bummer that it can work on phones and not the tablet. Was a wishful thinking. But thanks anyway for replying.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Android group lead by Google, is sick to death of manufacturers cheeping on the memory, requiring goofy solutions like app-2-sd. (Equivalent to storing your Computer applications on a flash drive because your hard drive was too small. This will force manufacturers to design adequate storage into the device.

By the time you fill up your main tablet storage with applications you will be sick of the old ones and can delete them. Do you know how many applications you can put in 16gig? I have three different versions of Angry Birds, 4 or 5 other huge games, and all sorts of utilities and music apps and I haven't even made a dent in 16gig.

The problem is as tablets get more advanced processors (Tegra 2 dual cores now, Tegra 3 quad cores in the immediate future), games will become more graphics intensive. There is an expectation that as developers start making games that take full advantage of quad-core processors, we will start to have games that rival consoles like the PS3 and the XBox 360. Have you tried the game Asphalt 6 by Gameloft? Once you install the game, the first time you run it, you have to download an additional nearly 600 MB of data files in order for the game to run. Some of the other racing games that I downloaded from Google's Android Market 10 cent sale have weaker graphics and they still require 50-60 MB of additional data files.

I seriously doubt that Google will not add apps 2 sd support in Ice Cream Sandwich. Bear in mind that ICS is designed for BOTH tablets AND smartphones. While you can easily find tablets with 16, 32 or even 64 GB of internal memory, phones do not. Only the newest phones (i.e. Bionic, Razr, Rezound, and the Galaxy Nexus) has started coming with with more than 8 GB of internal storage. The Bionic has 12 GB, the Razr and Rezound has 16 GB, and the Galaxy Nexus has either 16 GB or 32 GB, but that is also because the Galaxy Nexus does not support microSD cards. And even then, with that much memory available, many of those phones only has 4 GB partitioned for user applications.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
My Droid X has 6.5gb of user available space. Of that, I've used about 3gb. Nearly all of my apps are on the device's memory vs my sd card. I have over 300 apps on my phone. 8gb is plenty for current applications. As more hd games are developed, there will need to be devices with larger memory pools available. My concern is that android 4.0 is meant to unify the tablet/phone division. It will almost certainly be ported to many of the phone models from the last 18 months or so. Some of those models are pretty limited on available space. Apps2Sd is a pretty important solution for people carrying budget Android devices. I think we'll probably see aftermarket ROMs with it, which is going to see a lot of novice users attempting to root their devices. Hang on! It's going to be a wild ride folks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
My Droid X has 6.5gb of user available space. Of that, I've used about 3gb. Nearly all of my apps are on the device's memory vs my sd card. I have over 300 apps on my phone. 8gb is plenty for current applications. As more hd games are developed, there will need to be devices with larger memory pools available. My concern is that android 4.0 is meant to unify the tablet/phone division. It will almost certainly be ported to many of the phone models from the last 18 months or so. Some of those models are pretty limited on available space. Apps2Sd is a pretty important solution for people carrying budget Android devices. I think we'll probably see aftermarket ROMs with it, which is going to see a lot of novice users attempting to root their devices. Hang on! It's going to be a wild ride folks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

For many app developers that are creating these space-eating apps (I go back to using Asphalt 6 HD as an example, with it's 600 MB of data files), they already program their apps to use the SD card by default. The problem with Honeycomb is that since it does not allow the use of the SD card by apps, it fools the app into thinking there is an SD card by creating a virtual one in the device memory. Imagine you only have 8 GB of available space on your device. If you install apps that each take up 600 MB, you pretty much can only install 13 of them and then you will be out of space. Luckily the vast majority of Android apps only take up just a few hundred kb.

Now take a look at all those cheaper tablets like the Coby's, Vizio's, Sylvania's, etc. that currently run on Gingerbread (2.3) or Froyo (2.2). I believe all of them have only 2 GB or 4 GB of memory. And while your device may have 8 GB of internal memory, not all 8 GB is available to you. The OS itself uses a portion of that memory, and the firmware will also "protect" a certain amount of memory as well, so it is not available for you to use. For example, my HTC Thunderbolt came with 8 GB of internal memory, but only 2.3 GB is available to be used by the user. The rest of the memory is reserved and cannot be accessed.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
The virtual SD card is why I think Google needs to support apps2SD on ICS. That divides your internal memory in such a way to make it less usable by the consumer. You mentioned the budget tablets. I completely agree with you that a solution needs to be achieved that will benefit the consumer, the manufacturer and the developers. It should be easy and effortless. It should just work. The best way to do that is to eliminate virtual SD cards and allow data to be offloaded to the SD card.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I seriously doubt that Google will not add apps 2 sd support in Ice Cream Sandwich.

You look at what devices have announced ICS support and you will see that ZERO small memory devices are ever going to get it.
Google has even abandoned their Nexus One, (still one hellofa good phone) because of small memory.

Apps2SD causes a lot of problems. Apps that need to be there at boot time can't reside on the SD, because the SD isn't even mounted at boot time. Many apps that are moved to SD still have a substantial portion of their storage on main memory. So any app with a Widget can't go to SD.

Take Nook software for example:
The version we got on the tablet is embedded in System storage, so you really can't tell how much it uses, nor can you upgrade it. But the download version in the market is 8.1Meg, and installs to over 18Meg!!. Ah Ha, you say, a perfect candidate for Apps2SD. Well I had it on my phone for a long time, but had to dump it. Too much memory. AFTER moving it to SD, it still took over 14Meg of main memory, and only 5meg moved to the SD. So its not a panacea.

A better solution would be a user choice of simulated SD when no SD is available, and an actual SD for data storage when one is available, with an automatic cut-over that will move your simulated SD to actual, and then release the simulated SD storage back to the system. There would probably have to be an UnDo.

The more you look at this, the more you become convinced that building enough memory into the phone is the best solution. The latest Google Nexus (galaxy nexus) doesn't even support an SD card any more. Google has already stated publicly they want to drop apps2sd in in the future, and just use SDcards for non-critical data storage. It seems unlikely they would do an about face at this time.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
A better solution would be a user choice of simulated SD when no SD is available, and an actual SD for data storage when one is available, with an automatic cut-over that will move your simulated SD to actual, and then release the simulated SD storage back to the system. There would probably have to be an UnDo.

The more you look at this, the more you become convinced that building enough memory into the phone is the best solution. The latest Google Nexus (galaxy nexus) doesn't even support an SD card any more. Google has already stated publicly they want to drop apps2sd in in the future, and just use SDcards for non-critical data storage. It seems unlikely they would do an about face at this time.

This is the crux of the issue. Talk about having a seamless user experience, what happens for all of the people that don't have SD cards (probably the majority) and how confused they will be when apps start looking for SD cards? Nook Tablet is a perfect example of how outraged people can get over having to get an SD card since it came with 1GB user accessible memory and people freaked that they had to get an SD card to load anything on it.

Without a virtual SD for when no card is present and a switching routine for when one is, the whole scenario is likely to cause more problems than it addresses. Rather than building complex programming and still running into issues, such as some apps loading to virtual SD and others to actual SD without the user knowing which goes where unless they are keeping track of card in or out and having to now manage, internal memory, virtual SD and actual SD locations of their apps, it is far simpler to force manufactures to include more memory.