Bricked. Wondermedia MID_806BLU

s0nlight

Jan 14, 2012
So... Upon opening the box, As it was a present, I turned it on after charging it up and realized shortly it wasn't the full android software, and wasn't even CLOSE to being supported by android at all, or the market. So, I decided to try the Uberoid mod. Got stuck at the honeycomb screen. Upon finding a different mod, one that was starting to work. Someone unplugged the SD card, and now I've got a fancy paperweight, the Bricked M806B 8 inch fakedroid android tablet. Lovely.

So, in an attempt to figure out how to get it unbricked, btw isn't recognizing sd card (tf card) to do a natural boot, I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to getting to the debug menu to possibly restore the device to factory settings while I try and get a hold of the MAX3232 TTL to RS232 Converter to hyperterm it back to life. If anyone can help me out in getting to unbrick the device before having to reprogram the device the hard way (and having to wait for the item to ship out), I would be most appreciated.

Type: Wondermedia 8" serial MID_806BLU
Red Charge/ Green load-power light. Black headphone jack (from looking inside).
Black Screen of Death, Hoping to get U-boot to work, if it is even recognized.

Thank you if you can help me out.

onykage

Jan 11, 2012
first thing, look for a tiny little hole somewhere on the outside of the pad, usually on one of the edges. the hole will be about 1.5mm in diameter. Inserting a blunt pin into the hole with the unit powered up, you should feel a button click. DO NOT PUSH HARD! If You do find it, that will reset the device to factory defaults removing anything you previously did to it.

If you cant find the reset switch, then try to locate the original factory firmware and reload it. I took the liberty of runing a google search and found this.

WonderMedia WM8650 - Android Forums

Hope that works for you. Its not a paperweight yet. Just need to unbrick it which can be testing at times.

s0nlight

Jan 14, 2012
So, Found the reset switch, located just above the mic, in the mic hole. All it's done is turn off the device, which upon turning on still gives me the black screen of death. I've downloaded the original firmware already, and attempted to try and get it to load, but it still gives me the black screen. Benefit is that when the battery does get low, as a test, it will actually tell me in the corner where the power switch is located. Really frustrating, but not angry enough to throw the thing.

onykage

Jan 11, 2012
well first thing, if the tablet is unpluged, for heavens sake plug it in before you really do brick it. Plug it in and give the reset another go, just when you press it this time and it shuts off, let it do it thing. It could take upto 20 mins to finish the process. And make sure it doesnt loose power in the meantime. If it shuts off during the reset, you really are screwed, because there is a very large chance it will corrupt the prom and the eprom together.

wish you luck dude.

Sent from Android Acer Aspire ONE using Android Tablet Forum

s0nlight

Jan 14, 2012
ONYKAGE, gave you good advice. Quit playing with it and do what he says. All these things you are trying to do to it are only compounding the problem and making it worse. Some tablets go into the reset mode by going black first, turning themselves off, and then reseting themselves. My guess is you didn't hold down the reset switch long enough and give it time to do that.
Did
do what he said, Have the files, ON a formatted fat32 SD Card in the TF card slot, DID the reset button holding it more than just a simple click (tried 2 seconds, tried 5 seconds, tried 8 seconds, tried 10 seconds, tried 20 seconds). Case in point, I'm actually not new to this, just trying a different route, hopefully with valuable help, and am not playing with it. I am actually attempting to fix an issue.

My suggestion is to help all new users is to assume they first know what they're doing instead of outright setting a view that each new account on this forum is that of a newb, or un-informed or un-researched user. As I have used this forum and about 15 others to attempt to fix the situation, and have just now this day posted to find a solution before spending to reprogram the device (of which I have had experience doing with Linux and Windows systems, which includes breaking down to the command line and opening system files and editing). After giving best advice, THEN break it down to the least common denominator instead of posting rude unhelpful comments, as I had posted that I DID follow the advice.

s0nlight

Jan 14, 2012
[URL="http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/members/onykage.html" said:
onykage[/URL]]well first thing, if the tablet is unpluged, for heavens sake plug it in before you really do brick it. Plug it in and give the reset another go, just when you press it this time and it shuts off, let it do it thing. It could take upto 20 mins to finish the process. And make sure it doesnt loose power in the meantime. If it shuts off during the reset, you really are screwed, because there is a very large chance it will corrupt the prom and the eprom together.

wish you luck dude.

Sent from Android Acer Aspire ONE using Android Tablet Forum
Thanks. Chances are I'm just going to have to give in and rehash the SPI from scratch, which isn't a big deal, just have to go and grab the device.

onykage

Jan 11, 2012
Thanks. Chances are I'm just going to have to give in and rehash the SPI from scratch, which isn't a big deal, just have to go and grab the device.

Im not taking sides here but I too am a software developer and I have found from my experiance that it id always best to assume (ass out of you and me) that the reader is one of 3 things. 1: A total newbie to computers in general. 2: The person asking the question is an expert but is so frustrated that cant see answers taping them on the nose. 3: Someone else who is either 1 or 2 will be reading the posted response later, which creates an FAQ and saves repeated redundant responses to questions that may become common.

Also, take it from me, do not wear your feelings on the sleeve of your shirt. It is very easy to read and insert tone into text. It is also very easy to not see or understand the tone in text. I dont think the guy was being deragatory on purpose. I dont think he was being that way at all. Ive read a many of his responses. And from what Ive read I have assessed that he is a very smart individual and being so he doesnt spend time looking to be politically correct or reading over his responses to see if it is at all offending. Dude just plainly speaks his mind.

Sent from my Acer Android One Netbook using Tapatalk

tornado0123

Aug 5, 2012
I have the same tablet but the charging port is broken anyone know if it will charge from the usb port with a dead battery i can get past the android screen saying low battery