Broken USB Port

oleron

Feb 24, 2013
Hi,

I have an Ideapad a2109a and the I/o port (microusb) is broken. I can easily remove the broken I/o board but don't know where to get a replacement. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,
Oleron.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Hi,

I have an Ideapad a2109a and the I/o port (microusb) is broken. I can easily remove the broken I/o board but don't know where to get a replacement. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,
Oleron.

You may by chance be able to find one on Ebay they have lot's of Electronic Parts.
But with the A2109 being fairly new and not that popular yet it maybe hard to find a replacement part for it other then going straight through Lenovo.
With any luck you maybe able to find one someone is selling for parts.
Just an Idea! Good Luck on your quest...

ardentblue

Mar 20, 2013
Folks, this copy is much better than what you could find out in the wild. Believe, obey, download!

How did the USB port die? I had my Vaio fall off a table with a thumbdrive in a USB port, cracked the motherboard... (then heat build-up fried the video controller)....

A2109A IO Board Assembly Part Number 90000683

IdeaTab A2109A-F Hardware Maintenance Manual (English)
http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideatab_a2109a-f_hmm_20120628.pdf

Removing and replacing an FRU..................26
1010 Rear cover................................................27
1020 Battery pack..............................................30
1030 System board.............................................32
1040 IO board ...................................................35

altazink

Jul 20, 2014
Hi,

Thanks,
Oleron.

Ive had this issue on so many devices with micro usb.

Tip one, never use while charging, that being said, its a tablet and batteries dont last

so many times the micro usb port dies from movement etc prongs, they wear out or break. so you can try and find the fru part (ive been told its 30 bucks for the little board with it on it) and also im cheap.

Micro usb should be used for data transfer, i wish manufacturers would add a second small 2 prong charging port like the old days. the tube shaped connectors, they get real small and work. micro usb just doesnt have the mobility endurance.

So my fix, i removed the micro sd cover and my microsd card,, opened up the back by removing the 2 "+" screws and use a pry tool to pop off the back cover (strt at top and work your way around.

Where you see the micro usb port on the card is a single resistor (brown block) the top side of it.thats your positive solder connection point. you will also see a 2 gold "I" or "C" shapes with 2 silver points in each one, the larger one is your microusb and one of the silver points in it is your negative.

grab any usb cable (you may have spares lying around or can buy for a dollar at a dollar store), and cut off the end you would plug into a device.(not the end that goes into your computer), strip the outer rubber back about an inch and cut off everything but the red and black wire inside. Red is positive. black is negative

get a drill bit just smaller than your cord diameter or the same size and drill a hole in the side cover of the tablet feed wire thu hole and solder to points mentioned....red to top side of resistor (brown block with silver ends) and black to the bottom/lower C shape silver point.

then use a drop of hot glue or 2 part epoxy to secure the cord so it doesnt pull out. and reassemble

You may have a cord comming out of your tablet now (you can make it short and while your at dollar store buy a usb extension cable) but you will have a working tablet that can be charged without worring about a positional microusb plug.

also rembember to point your solder and hot glue gun around and hum the james bond theme... it makes it work better.

bml

Jul 20, 2014
Where you see the micro usb port on the card is a single resistor (brown block) the top side of it.thats your positive solder connection point. you will also see a 2 gold "I" or "C" shapes with 2 silver points in each one, the larger one is your microusb and one of the silver points in it is your negative.

grab any usb cable (you may have spares lying around or can buy for a dollar at a dollar store), and cut off the end you would plug into a device.(not the end that goes into your computer), strip the outer rubber back about an inch and cut off everything but the red and black wire inside. Red is positive. black is negative

Hi!

Could you please make the pictures - where exactly are connection points?

Thanks.

Punkroku

Jun 11, 2015
EBay has these micro USB io port cards for less then 15 dollars search io lenovo a2109. Still u have to open tablet and carefully get under main boardboard after bout 3 cables for battery LCD and touch digitizer.