Buy a Nexus 7 or wait for newer model?

DealSeeker

May 26, 2013
Hey guys,

I've been interested in buying a 7" tablet and everybody suggests the Nexus 7. Using giftcards lying around, I am able to buy 32GB version for $150+tax. I will mainly be using it to read PDFs, watch youtube videos and occasionally listen to audio. I feel the upgraded model won't make much of a difference to me. Is it worth it for me to wait for the newer model or just get this one?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
My guess is that you're probably correct. Not a bad price so go for it.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
My guess is that you're probably correct. Not a bad price so go for it.

I concur. You're buying into the pure Google experience and also getting top-of-the-line Asus manufactured hardware. I'm currently happy with my Acer but will definitely upgrade to the new Nexus 7 whenever it's released here in Canada.

LuvMusic

Dec 12, 2010
A different perspective.

You mention watching videos and reading PDF files. One consistent rumor about the updated Nexus 7 is a higher resolution screen which should provide you with sharper video and text. How much sharper....there will be a difference. Enough to wait.....a personal decision. The price you have found is quite good.

One spec I have not seen published is the amount of RAM in the new Nexus 7. I'm hoping for 2gb which will also improve system response and image processing speed. And, let's not forget it will be designed for Key Lime Pie and be "fit for purpose" for future android updates and enhancements.

I'm in the same situation you are, I have an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 and I'm waiting. I figure if the new Nexus 7 doesn't live up to hype, it will at least drive down the price of the current Nexus 7 even more.

My 2 cents.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
LuvMusic, I'm right there with you on the need for 2GB of RAM. It definitely gets a bit sluggish with only 1GB. The only other shortcoming for me is that if I want to output the display to an external monitor, I'm out of luck as it has no HDMI output nor does it support MHL adapters for that purpose.

Ed