Buying a cheap chinese tablet for boat navigation

paarsand

Aug 30, 2011
Hello.

I was looking at this item at ebay: 10" Touch Android 2.2 WiFi Camera GPS Tablet PC MID 3G | eBayas thinking of useing it for a project in a boat for navigation, and was wondering if this item will have support of the android market.

And, the seller has written: * Not pre-installed,End user install only.

What the hell? Where am i supposed to find a rom for this tablet? Anyone know anything about this?

paarsand

Aug 30, 2011
But that is quite expensice compared.. and 10" is nice.

If this sucker has market and preinstalled android i'm all up for it. but i cannot fint it out.

Ironhide

Aug 8, 2011
This looks like the one I got. It does not have the Google Market pre-installed. It has some Chinese market thing. I found a thread on another forum that has a link to a newer firmware that helps this thing get out of it's own way and installs the market.
I'm going to sell mine. PM me if interested.

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
Hello.

I was looking at this item at ebay: 10" Touch Android 2.2 WiFi Camera GPS Tablet PC MID 3G | eBayas thinking of useing it for a project in a boat for navigation, and was wondering if this item will have support of the android market.

And, the seller has written: * Not pre-installed,End user install only.

What the hell? Where am i supposed to find a rom for this tablet? Anyone know anything about this?

This looks to be a Gome Flytouch II / Superpad. Run as fast as you can, away.

It supports very few 3G modems, and you'd need that in order to do GPS. Also, when they upgraded this to v2.2, a lot of the hardware stopped working for people that did it, like built in GPS (which required an external antenna as I recall).

I had no problems getting Market on mine. Mine just lost all settings and dumped all apps when the battery got too low.

paarsand

Aug 30, 2011
uh, you do not really rely on 3g to get gps signals.

is there a guide for hacking market on this exact tablet?

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
uh, you do not really rely on 3g to get gps signals.

is there a guide for hacking market on this exact tablet?

Re: GPS. I have been told otherwise in this forum. Either WiFi (not available on a lake) or 3G. Getting the signal is one thing. Getting the local map... doesn't come over GPS.

Market was on my tablet with v2.1 #3245, and is in v2.2 #3656 & v2.2 #3925, all three available in the "Gome Flytouch II Firmware" forum. Only free apps show up currently, but other Android app markets (Amazon and more) will do both paid and free apps.

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
Please note that some of those cheap Chinese tablets have a very low battery rating. Some will only run for 3 to 4 hours on battery. So you might want to check the spec's carefully before putting your hard earned money down on one....

paarsand

Aug 30, 2011
Power is not a problem, since i have power outlet in my boat. I'm planing on useing navionics marine on this. and this is an app that i have purchased on market.

currently useing it on my nexus s, but the screen is too small. and i do not even have to touch the screen much, just have a bigger display.

If you guys are shure that its not possible to get paid market on this device i'll pass. but its almost free, so i could be tempted to just try it out.

paarsand

Aug 30, 2011
This is just a trick from the chinese.. to pass through toll.

Fits Norway very good, as i do not need to pay toll on this item.