buying advice

g8jvm

May 1, 2014
Hi
I'm new to the forum, I've had quick look thru previous posts, but cant see what I'm after.
So please no RTFMs

I want to buy my wife a tablet for her birthday, she found an android smart phone to awkward to use, but can use my laptop OK for shopping and browing,
so there's hope yet. Especially as all the computers at home are either linux or andriod.

I see alot of tablets on e-bay below US$ 150 or £100. Allwinner etc
I only need WIFI connection on it as she already has a phone , but it does need to have a reasonable receiver as the WIFI coverage at home is not 100%.

What should I avoid , it would be nice to get something rootable so I can play, I'm retired so I dont want to waste money, its in limited supply now, it would be really nice if it had
an audio input and output, but not needed for her use.

Suggestions ??

Thanks
Richard

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Get at least a dual core, quad if you can afford it, the D2 tablets are cheap and should work well for you.

Get a tablet with playstore and at least 1GB ram, dual core or better.

g8jvm

May 1, 2014
Thanks
I had a look at the D2 range, they seem to be a US source only, I wonder if they are the same as the "Allwinner" A13 A23,A24 range ??

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks
I had a look at the D2 range, they seem to be a US source only, I wonder if they are the same as the "Allwinner" A13 A23,A24 range ??

Allwinner is just the type of processor, A lot of cheap tablets do in fact use this processor, I am not familiar with UK so can't say what's available in your country. Allwinner tablets will be just fine for you, make sure on the specs, though dual core or better, 1GB of ram, and playstore already installed, (If you use playstore in UK)

Last edited:

g8jvm

May 1, 2014
Thanks , I checked the Allwinner site, and found the processor details , the sellers are discribing the tablets as allwinner, I see the A31S processor in a few, with 4.4 s/w,
Its getting a bit clearer now thanks. Some nice low cost bundles , but all with s/w earlier than jellybean, and single core.
cheers