Camera Topics

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I thought I would start some topical threads so that we can discuss the A700 and consolidate it into specific areas.

This first post I wanted to pass along some info about the Rear Camera (which does not have a flash).

The White Balance (which controls color correction) has Auto, Incandescent, Daylight, Florescent, and Cloudy settings.

The Auto Setting seems a little suspect to me. Below is a photo with Auto setting:

$IMG_20120624_160446.jpg

Next is The Cloudy setting, which is about as close to perfect as you can get.

$IMG_20120624_162459.jpg

So the upshot is, don't just let the camera select the white balance. You may want to play with it.
The nice thing is that it seemed to remember it from use to use, whereas prior Android devices promptly
forgot it.

We may want to grouse at ACER about the dearth of settings in that Camera App.

If you go to the market and install Camera ICS+ you a lot more functionality, including Burst mode, Silent snap, Color effects, Grid lines, etc. There are probably other apps out there that are better than this stock camera.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Do you have the app you mentioned? If so, could you post some pictures from that? Even though I will probably use the camera once or twice a week at work, I wouldn't mind spending a buck on something like this...Might give me an incentive to use it more often.

Edit: Had a 'derp' moment. Downloaded the free version to try it myself. :) That is one of the nicer things about Android...So often there is a free version to try before you buy.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Not remembering any advertising about the A700 having a flash but quite frankly cell phone and tablet flashes universally suck, and i won't miss it.

Sent from my HOX

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The led is a poor excuse for a flash, but it is the only way you can get a snapshot from your device in very poor lighting conditions so in certain conditions it is indispensable.

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
TomT:

The lack of a flash is one reason I will hold off on a A700 and wait for Tegra-4s (the CPUs went to the OEMs back in Dec 2011). Hopefully the next generation of Acers will have flashes (preferably dual LEDs or better) - if not its Asus time

With my Gateway A60 (Acer A500, same company just repackaged) I use my tablet for many things from multi-media to my 300" projector to photos and films. Now in low light conditions not only is an LED required for still photos but for MOVIES as well (the LED stays lit and acts like a flashlight when taking videos - really handy).

I always use my tablet for videos/photos - often in rural areas. The long battery life (I use battery packs and run months and months never using the AC adapter), HDMI output for my projector, large enough size for older people to view or for a group of friends/family, cool programs to morph photos and edit videos (PhotoLab, PhotoFunia, PicSayPro, PS Touch, VidTrim Pro..), lots of storage with 64 GB microSD cards, Bluetooth to exchange files and 3 TB external had drives - its for me way better then a camera.

Cells can do a good job too - why is it my Nokia X7 has a 8 MP camera and a flash yet the 10" Acer A700 doesn't? Furthermore why not have video stabilization for the movie camera? Also why not a 13.3" tablet version like Toshiba Excite.

EW

Last edited: