Can I 'root' or modify my Android 2.1 pad to make it more useful?

zobo1942

Feb 19, 2011
Hello,

I recently purchased a 'Craig' 7" Touch screen android tablet (running 2.1). It was really cheap ($150) and I basically bought it for my kids to use to watch movies in the car, etc...

Some of the apps included with it (ie. the web browser) seem to be corrupt, and automatically force quit when I try to launch them. I downloaded a copy of xScope and installed it - it works well - but I was hoping that there was a way to completely wipe it and re-install Android 2.1 (which it ships with) but without the horrible (and non-functional) applications that come with it.

The specs to the tablet are here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...IzMzktMDJhZDkzNTQ4MTY0&hl=en&authkey=CJrsqLUG

Is there a way to re-install a 'vanilla' version of Android, or am I stuck with the impossible to delete (and use!) applications which came with it?

Thanks for any advice you might have to offer (and your patience - this is my first Android device, and my first post)!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
No vanilla builds yet. You got yourself a Rockchip.

There are firmwares available for it. The site that I point people to is down.

I know twitter.com/naobsd has a copy of the firmware you need for sure. But for now you should just wait, or diy.

Check androtab.info for alternate versions of your tablet that probably have compatible firmwares.

zobo1942

Feb 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

My kids enjoyed watching movies in the car with it, (which is what I got it for in the first place) so that's cool. I was just hoping to delete all the horrible apps (some of which don;t work) apps and install some other, nicer apps for a media player, etc...

I was thinking about trying this:

Root any Android 2.1 2.2 Phone With Just The Click of a Button | Super One Click

Just to see if it would work.

Thanks for your input and advice!

taxtropel

Mar 5, 2011
I've not had any luck with SuperOneClick. The hack gets pushed to the device, but the app seems to crash when chmodding psneuter. I've also tried using z4root.apk, which will run through fine on perm-root, but reboots w/o root. And upon obtaining root shell, the acore process crashes non-stop. I've got a 7inch Unbranded Rock-Chips Android Tablet, using the rk2818 @ 640MHz. I'd like to overclock it to 1GHZ since that is supported by the processor (according to what I've been able to find thus far)

That being said, SuperOneClick worked perfectly for my Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Craig suppose to be releasing Android 2.2 with Flash for it..

kiladar

Mar 19, 2012
I have succeeded to root the device with a tool usually to root some HTC devices Revolutionary temp root then perm root it worked for me