can the Aldiko reader import nook downloaded books

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
Title says it all. I'd like to read my barnes & noble downloads in the aldiko reader, but can't import.

================
i discovered how to copy the b&n book downloads to the sd card ...but when i try to import into aldiko, i need to enter a user name and password ...when i enter my B&N acct info ( email and password) it doesn't work. am i missing something here???

Last edited:

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
i think there was an update to Aldiko that allows you to sign in with your BN information to gain access to BN DRM protected books though.. so i believe it may be possible

Smaugy

Feb 18, 2011
Or you can do what I have done - install calibre on your pc, install the plugins that will strip the DRM off of the B&N books and convert your books to epub. the Aldiko, FBReader or any other reader that supports epub will be able to use them.

I have done this for books from B&N, Kindle, ereader.com, fictionwise.com and others. Nice to have all my books minus DRM so that I can put them in whatever format I want and be able to read them on almost anything.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Or you can do what I have done - install calibre on your pc, install the plugins that will strip the DRM off of the B&N books and convert your books to epub. the Aldiko, FBReader or any other reader that supports epub will be able to use them.

I have done this for books from B&N, Kindle, ereader.com, fictionwise.com and others. Nice to have all my books minus DRM so that I can put them in whatever format I want and be able to read them on almost anything.

Care to tell us more details on which drm tools you used?

On topic, Aldiko 2.0 allows you to both log in/sign in to Adobe DRM and B&N (although I was unsuccessful logging in).

Smaugy

Feb 18, 2011
Care to tell us more details on which drm tools you used?

On topic, Aldiko 2.0 allows you to both log in/sign in to Adobe DRM and B&N (although I was unsuccessful logging in).

I would need to do some digging but there are python scripts that will strip out the DRM from ebooks. Included with the scripts are plugins that you can install directly into Calibre that will strip the DRM as they import the books. From there you can convert the books to any format you want to. Note: I believe that these DeDRM scripts require you to have python installed on your pc. There are a couple of different ones that you can use.

You can start here with the following two links:
Apprentice Alf's Blog
Continuing the Dark Reverser’s work… « Apprentice Alf's Blog

I also have another link, which I will add once I get home from work - proxy here keeping me from finding it.

The second link contains the dedrm tools you need to install as plugins to calibre.

I have imported books into calibre that I have acquired from the following sites and successfully removed DRM from them:

Barnes & Noble
Kindle - Amazon
ereader.com
fictionwise.com - secure mobipocket and pdb

Hope this helps.......

Last edited:

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
i got it working. i tried the b&n info for sign in and it wouldn't allow the open or import. i created an adobe account , used the adobe user / password and it worked.
thanks to all ....

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Here are the instructions.. from the Aldiko website:

I was able to use the SD Card feature in Aldiko to import DRM'd Nook books on my Android Device.
  1. At the Home screen in Aldiko, tap SD Card.
  2. Navigate to the Nook folder on your device
  3. Navigate to the Content folder within the Nook folder
  4. Tap on the book you want to import (not on the check box, just tap the title)
  5. You will be prompted to open or import, tap "open"
  6. you will then be prompted for a username and password. The user name is the name on the credit card associated with your Nook purchase. The password is the credit card number itself, no spaces.
  7. Once you have been able to open the book, go back to the home page and follow steps 1 through 4.
  8. This time, when you are prompted to open or import, choose "import". The book will be imported to your Aldiko Library.
The reason I open before importing is that there is no password prompt when importing. I did find that once I had entered my credit card info for one book, I was able to import all of the rest of my Nook purchases without opening first, the app seemed to just need this information once

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Oh by the way... I installed the UPDATE for Aldiko today.. and it wiped out my WHOLE LIBRARY... nothing is left .. even checking the SD card and it is gone as well...

waiting to hear back from Aldiko but don't have any great hope for retrieval of all those BOOKS .... I am bummed....