Can't access Google.com from ZT 180

andypandy581

Feb 6, 2013
Hi there

Sorry but I am new to this

I have a Zenithink ZT 180 with android 2.2 on it. I have had it for at least a year with no problems at all. In the last week or 2, I cannot access Google.com search at all. It just seems to freeze and does nothing.

I can access Google.co.uk and search the web through there, but if I want to access anyhting on the google.com server i.e email login etc. I am asked to login and then get this message come up

"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporay problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues call customer Care"

I did a Factory Reset and this has made no difference. I have tried it on a Tetherred phone access and it still doesn't solve it so isn't my internet broadband provider

Can anyone help me please

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

When you did the factory reset, and set it back up, did it reinstall all the apps? (There is an option at setup to not sync with Google).

If it stayed with no apps installed after the reset I'm stumpted, but if your apps installed again there may be a problem, especially if one of those apps was intended to help with tethering. The only other thing I can suggest is another factory reset as the first one may have been incomplete.

dkmahan

Feb 15, 2013
Hi there

Sorry but I am new to this

I have a Zenithink ZT 180 with android 2.2 on it. I have had it for at least a year with no problems at all. In the last week or 2, I cannot access Google.com search at all. It just seems to freeze and does nothing.

I can access Google.co.uk and search the web through there, but if I want to access anyhting on the google.com server i.e email login etc. I am asked to login and then get this message come up

"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporay problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues call customer Care"

I did a Factory Reset and this has made no difference. I have tried it on a Tetherred phone access and it still doesn't solve it so isn't my internet broadband provider

Can anyone help me please

I have the exact same problem! The ZT 180 worked great for more than a year and now anything that has to do with Google does not work. That includes Market! I am still hunting for a fix. I'll post the answer if I find it. Thanks.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Edit the /system/etc/hosts file and delete all the lines but the first one.... Clear the cache and data (via Settings) of any apps that were giving you the same problem/error, and then reboot the tablet... It may take some time, and a few reboots, but google stuff should start to work again....

bpurn1

Dec 9, 2011
Edit the /system/etc/hosts file and delete all the lines but the first one.... Clear the cache and data (via Settings) of any apps that were giving you the same problem/error, and then reboot the tablet... It may take some time, and a few reboots, but Google stuff should start to work again....
How do I edit the /system/etc/hosts file. I have no idea how to get to it. I am trying to help my grandson with the ZT180 as he plays all his toddler games on it and now we cannot access anything associated with Google. I did a factory reset which did not help but cleared all the games I downloaded in the past. Appreciate any assistance I can get.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
How do I edit the /system/etc/hosts file. I have no idea how to get to it. I am trying to help my grandson with the ZT180 as he plays all his toddler games on it and now we cannot access anything associated with Google. I did a factory reset which did not help but cleared all the games I downloaded in the past. Appreciate any assistance I can get.
Your tablet needs to be rooted in order to this...

You need to use a file explorer app (like root explorer which has access after granting it root privileges or ES file explorer where you need to turn on the option in its settings) to navigate there and edit it in a text editor...

I've also heard ad blocking apps also fixes the issue (as it changes the hosts file)....

What ROM are you running?

bpurn1

Dec 9, 2011
Your tablet needs to be rooted in order to this...

You need to use a file explorer app (like root explorer which has access after granting it root privileges or ES file explorer where you need to turn on the option in its settings) to navigate there and edit it in a text editor...

I've also heard ad blocking apps also fixes the issue (as it changes the hosts file)....

What ROM are you running?

I don't know. How do I find out? I have looked in the About Device section in settings and do not see anything about ROM.
I don't know if this info helps: Zenithink ZT-180 model/version 2.2
Kernel 2.6.32.9
Root@android #5353
Build Number ZT180-eng.AOSP OPENMASTER eng.root20110808.120935

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I don't know. How do I find out? I have looked in the About Device section in settings and do not see anything about ROM.
I don't know if this info helps: Zenithink ZT-180 model/version 2.2
Kernel 2.6.32.9
Root@android #5353
Build Number ZT180-eng.AOSP OPENMASTER eng.root20110808.120935
Yes, that helps....

According to your build number, you are on the 0808 ROM, which was only made for the ZT-180 10" v2 tablets (512MB RAM/with Camera/with HDMI out/and with the ES8388 sound chip).... Earlier than the 0808 ROM, the tablets used a 8988 sound chip....

Most people use UniversalandRoot v1.6.1 with the "Do not install SuperUser" option (do it twice in a row) to root their tablets... I am sure you can find it if you google for it.... If you are familiar with adb, you can load the zImage_adb kernel when you turn on your tablet and try to use adb commands via usb to change the permissions of the su binary files (adb shell chmod 6755 /system/bin/su and adb shell chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su) to root the tablet....

I've also read that someone got around it by just deleteing the hosts file and rebooting the tablet, but I'm not sure if that will work... I've also read people with Linux computers untar the system.tar.bz ROM file, make the changes, and tar the files back up and then reflash their tablet with the altered system.tar.bz file...

bpurn1

Dec 9, 2011
Yes, that helps....

According to your build number, you are on the 0808 ROM, which was only made for the ZT-180 10" v2 tablets (512MB RAM/with Camera/with HDMI out/and with the ES8388 sound chip).... Earlier than the 0808 ROM, the tablets used a 8988 sound chip....

Most people use UniversalandRoot v1.6.1 with the "Do not install SuperUser" option (do it twice in a row) to root their tablets... I am sure you can find it if you google for it.... If you are familiar with adb, you can load the zImage_adb kernel when you turn on your tablet and try to use adb commands via usb to change the permissions of the su binary files (adb shell chmod 6755 /system/bin/su and adb shell chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su) to root the tablet....

I've also read that someone got around it by just deleteing the hosts file and rebooting the tablet, but I'm not sure if that will work... I've also read people with Linux computers untar the system.tar.bz ROM file, make the changes, and tar the files back up and then reflash their tablet with the altered system.tar.bz file...

I appreciate your response but it lost me. I will try to google for the file you mentioned but I have no idea what the rest is. I have tried to google the problem for 3 days now and have not had much success. With the various terms you used, I will google them to see if I can get further explanations and instructions. Needless to say I can work on a computer with software but when it gets into the guts of the matter I am at best a newby.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I appreciate your response but it lost me. I will try to google for the file you mentioned but I have no idea what the rest is. I have tried to google the problem for 3 days now and have not had much success. With the various terms you used, I will google them to see if I can get further explanations and instructions. Needless to say I can work on a computer with software but when it gets into the guts of the matter I am at best a newby.
Sorry about that....

You should be good to go once you root your tablet with UniversalandRoot v1.6.1.... You could also try googling for the apk for ES File Explorer or Root Explorer also, although Root Explorer is a paid app, but there is no way for you to purchase it unless you get Google stuff working again... Think you can get ES File Explorer from here - Search Results - Android Drawer After you root your tablet, install it, then go into it's settings and enable the root access options (once you enable it you should get a SuperUser prompt, you should tap on Allow)....

Maybe with some research you'll find an easier way to do it, but this is the only way I know how....

bpurn1

Dec 9, 2011
Sorry about that....

You should be good to go once you root your tablet with UniversalandRoot v1.6.1.... You could also try googling for the apk for ES File Explorer or Root Explorer also, although Root Explorer is a paid app, but there is no way for you to purchase it unless you get Google stuff working again... Think you can get ES File Explorer from here - Search Results - Android Drawer After you root your tablet, install it, then go into it's settings and enable the root access options (once you enable it you should get a SuperUser prompt, you should tap on Allow)....

Maybe with some research you'll find an easier way to do it, but this is the only way I know how....

Thanks for your help. I will try to start working on this tomorrow. It may take me more than a day to complete (hopefully I will). I'll let you know how I do.

bpurn1

Dec 9, 2011
Sorry about that....

Thank you for your help. I will work on this today (and probably tomorrow). I'll let you know how it turns out.

bpurn1

Dec 9, 2011
Thank you for your help. I will work on this today (and probably tomorrow). I'll let you know how it turns out.

I deleted all the lines in host except the first one which is 127.0.0.1 localhost. When I try to save the file it says an error occurred and the file will not be saved. Any suggestions?
I had to delete 23 lines. Does that sound right?

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I deleted all the lines in host except the first one which is 127.0.0.1 localhost. When I try to save the file it says an error occurred and the file will not be saved. Any suggestions?
I had to delete 23 lines. Does that sound right?
Yes, that sounds right....

What app are you using to edit the hosts file? Are you sure you made the system partition rewriteable (r/w) so the changes can be saved, or is it read-only (r/o)?

bpurn1

Dec 9, 2011
Yes, that sounds right....

What app are you using to edit the hosts file? Are you sure you made the system partition rewriteable (r/w) so the changes can be saved, or is it read-only (r/o)?

I am using ES File Explorer to open the file and the ES note editor to edit the file. I did not make the system partition r/w unless it does it automatically. I'm note sure hoe to make it r/w or how I can check if it is.