Can't boot to recovery?!

jleeusa

Mar 21, 2011
I posted earlier about not being able to boot into recovery with CM7 loaded, to nook not from card. I decided to try out Phiremod 5.2. I flashed CWM 3.0.1.0 then flashed Phiremod. Everything is great: market, gmail, browser. NO RECOVERY. Rom Manager says I had 3.0.0.5 flashed, I tried to boot to recovery, it just rebooted. I tried to boot to recovery by holding power button and selecting recovery, rebooted. Went back to Rom Manager, flashed 3.0.1.0, tried to boot to recovery, rebooted. I even pulled the card to check, just rebooted no recovery. WTF. Prior to flashing the roms I was just on rooted stock 1.0.1, got to recovery no problem. Now I cannot, I really just want to back this SOB up. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
it sounds like a messed up CWM...I would remove it, uninstall ROM Manager...reboot normally. Install the latest ROM Manager, flash CWR, reboot normally...go back into ROM Manager and reboot into recovery.

jleeusa

Mar 21, 2011
No luck. Rom Manager was installed with the rom, I cannot uninstall. Tried flashing CWM, same issue, just rebooted.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
This thread will walk you through creating a bootable CWR micro SD card. It should get you into recovery.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

I installed CM7 using this bootable card, and now I don't think I have CWR installed to emmc. In any event, I can't boot to recovery without using the bootable CWR micro sd card. I don't tihnk there is anything wrong with using recovery this way, it's just a little less convenient...

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
and people still ask me why I haven't made the jump to the CM7 or phiremod 5.x ROM's yet...I would go with moonie's suggestion for a SD version of CWR if you don't want to revert back to something earlier (Froyo, etc.)

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
It was a little scary when I started out, but now that I've done it it's really not anything to worry about. The guides on this site are fantastic. I've never had any crashes or failures of any kind. I just have to run CWR off the SD card. My plan is to keep an SD card dedicated for CWR. That way when a new nightly update comes out, all I have to do is download the zip to the SD card, boot up with the card in, format cache, and install the zip. It is literally a 5 minute process and because you don't format system or data to update, all of your apps remain in tact!

Just do it :)