Can't charge

psulion93

Mar 1, 2011
I accidently let my NC battery get to the point where the NC turned itself off, and now I can't seem to get it to charge anymore. If I let it set for a while before I try it will flash between an orange and green light on the charging cable, but shortly after just goes green. However a soon as I plug it in it shows a screen stating that the battery is to low to turn on, and I should wait 15 minutes. Waiting doesn't improve the situation. For what it's worth I've been rooted for a while, but just went to phiremod 5.3 yesterday. Can't say if it was charging fine after flashing, as I hadn't tried. Any ideas?

Not really excited about calling customer service, due to my warranty voiding activities. Tried my wife's charger to no avail as well.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
psulion, if you get an extremely low battery you have to let it charge for a long time before it wil turn back on. You didn't say how long you waited but if you plugged in and tried to turn it on right away thinking it would work while on the chager, obviously that doesn't work. If you haven't already let it charge overnight and see if it is better then.

*Edit, oh yeah, also make sure you are using the stock charger. The nook takes a larger than average charge and it won't work if you are using something like a usb hub or port on a pc.

Last edited:

psulion93

Mar 1, 2011
I've left it plugged for a couple hours, but not overnight. However I thought it was only charging if the n on the charging cable is orange. Mine goes green right awayand stays that way. At this point I hasn't nothing to lose, so I'll plug in overnight and see what happens.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yeah, a couple of hours seems like it should be enough but I know that 15 minutes sometimes is not even though it says that. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the color of the light, I believe that it sometimes turns green before a full charge. If you are still havng issues afer a full night then there might be something wrong but a nice long charge will see if that cures it.

Also did you flash phiremod with 100% charge? Apparently that is necessary or for some reason the ROM doesn't identify the full batery capacity. Once you get a "full" charge, however much that is after a nights charge, you may want to flash a ROM besides pihremod and see if it charges 100% then. If so you should flash back to phiremod when 100% charged and see if that helps.

psulion93

Mar 1, 2011
Yes, had seen the bit about flashing with full charge and did that. Crossing my fingers that having it plugged in overnight will help.

psulion93

Mar 1, 2011
So this morning when I checked on the NC it had powered on and was showing 55% battery level, and charging. I left it plugged for the day while I'm away at work and will see what it shows later. For the record the "n" on the charging cable still shows green, not orange. So glad that it isn't a shiny paperweight.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am glad for you too. There have been occasional mentions of a Nook getting very low and then taking a long time to recharge. You might also want to inspect the cable for damage (somebody's cat ate their cable in a similar instance). If it is damaged it is possible that it isn't sending the full charge.