Can't Get External HDD To Be Recognized

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
As the title states, my Thrive won't acknowledge my external hdd. It's a 160gb hdd in a nexstar CX encloser. Powers threw USB (one into the encloser and a split that plugs in twice to whatever it's plugging into) and is formatted to FAT32. Works fine on my ps3, pc, laptop, but the tablet won't see it. When I plug it in to both usb ports in my dock it lights up as if it's powered and good, yet the tablet doesn't see it at all?... What gives? I considered formatting to exFAT but I specifically read here on Toshiba's page that shouldn't be necessary if it's already FAT32... Formatting a Portable USB Hard Drive for Android Tablet use And I'd prefer not have to recopy everything that's on it.

I'm going on vacation for 10 days here in the next week and would REALLY like to be able to bring my hdd and use it since my sd is only 16gb.

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Hey there. Thanks for the response. I'm not going to spend 3$ for an app designed for another tablet that "might" be compatible with my Thrive. I don't see why I should have to pay for an app to simply use a portable hdd in the usb ports that come w/ the device... Anyone else have any idea as to why this simple task isn't working?

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Nobody?... I tried what I could and sorta gave up. It seems to power the hdd and shows the indicator light but won't see it on the tablet... It's FAT32 so from what I've researched it SHOULD be showing up...

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Nobody?... I tried what I could and sorta gave up. It seems to power the hdd and shows the indicator light but won't see it on the tablet... It's FAT32 so from what I've researched it SHOULD be showing up...

Some external drives require more power than some tablets can muster on the USB port. If the drive comes with optional power, try that or try using it when the tablet is plugged in. You can also, after plugging it in, if it doesn't work, go to settings storage to see if it will let you mount it.