Can't nooter this thing at all

dferrier

Mar 1, 2011
I had rooted my NC and was going fine until I restored a rom one day. And I think it had something to do with Titanium backup as well but in any case it triggered the "authorization" message and the thing reset itself back to some version of stock.

I re-did my 1.1Ghz rom and it worked fine as long as I kept my wifi turned off but that wasn't making me happy I can tell you and besides all that my bn library wasn't working. It was like my nc was no longer registered.

Well I messed with it and messed with it until I did something that caused it to absolutely not work. So I finally created the CWR recovery sd to blow away the internal memory and then re-did the 1.0.1 rom.

This at least enabled me to re-register the device and get back to stock.

I then updated to 1.1 and tried autonooter 3.0 but could *not* get it to work. I followed the instructions but after I plugged in the usb the screen remained off and *never* booted like the instructions say it is supposed to.

So thinking the 3.0 was just buggy I re-did my 1.0.1 stock procedure re-registering and everything back to 1.0.1 stock. Then I tried the 1.0.1 autonooter root procedure.

But crap. It behaved exactly the same as the 3.0 did. Blank screen and no booting at all after a long time. I mean at least 20 minutes waiting.

But it never messed up the stock image at all. I can remove the sd card and the thing boots normally into the stock environment.

So now I am scratching my head wondering why this thing will no long root for me.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I then updated to 1.1 and tried autonooter 3.0 but could *not* get it to work. I followed the instructions but after I plugged in the usb the screen remained off and *never* booted like the instructions say it is supposed to.

You leave the NC plugged in, screen will be black for about 5-8 minutes then the screen will come on, NC will boot to welcome screen, press android in middle of screen, skip to log in, continue configurations, once done, power off, unplug and remove sd card.

Then power up as normal.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
try re-downloading the 2.12.25 autonooter (check the hash number to make sure you got the file correctly)

what image writer are you using? Is it giving you any error messages?

Look at the partition size of your sd card when it is in your NC, how big is it?

dferrier

Mar 1, 2011
try re-downloading the 2.12.25 autonooter (check the hash number to make sure you got the file correctly)

what image writer are you using? Is it giving you any error messages?

Look at the partition size of your sd card when it is in your NC, how big is it?

The card is an 8 gig card.

It shows 890MB free of 898MB when in the Nook color.

I used winimage to write the bootable sd and no errors. No problems booting.

Oh and Rico, I waited like at least 20 minutes before I gave up.

I did see the messages about not being able to install the drivers for this device on my computer and canceled through them like the instructions mention.

I read some rumor this morning that B & N may be putting in some anti-rooting stuff. Of course that is probably so much drivel.

But I can't help but wonder why I am having so much trouble getting this to work.

And please understand, I tried the 3.0 first then backed completely out to 1.0.1 stock again. I then tried the 2.12.25 autonooter as mentioned, but with exactly the same results.

I can try again, but I don't hold out much hope.

Will try and let you know.

twofourturbo

Mar 3, 2011
Restore your nook completely stock. Do the 8 reboot to get the nook back to a running system. Go to device settings and erase and deregister the nook. Once it reboots. Hold down the power button and the N for twenty seconds. Release and repeat 5 more times. It'll come up with a window and confirm erase procedure. Once booted log into nook and register device. Now update the device to 1.1 through barnes and noble procedure .. Once finished go to Monster RootPack Manual and download the root pack and burn to sd. Plug it in and reboot. It'll reboot to clockwork from the sd. Once there go to install from zip and root folder and select the version of your nc. Install root.zip first then install goodies. And I wouldn't install clockwork. I've not had good luck with it. Remove sd and go to reboot system. Then now ur rooted. Then follow rootdevs.com procedure for logging in with youtube. That's the procedure I used and its been great. I was looking at changing the kernel to overclock but its to reliable now to mess up.. haha.. let me know if this might help.. not sure if this was what u were looking for..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
dferrier, you will get straightend out so don't fret too much. Your issue definately sounds similar to issues I have heard before but the steps you have taken should be correcting it. It is likely that you are missing one small thing in either your restoration or your rooting process.

Since it sound like you are not adverse to starting completely fresh, follow the link in darmeen's signature above your post to "Revert your Nook back to stock and remove CWR."

Once you are sure you are back to an out of the box Nook state, check your downloads and make sure they are not corrupt. Then check back in here to confirm. After that post the steps you are going to use to root. Sounds silly but this might help us determine if you missed something in the process.

From scratch to rooted is not too difficult but it only takes one small oversight to get stuck.

-JP

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes I think erasing and deregistering is a good idea. Then reregister and re-root again. You might have some stuff left on there from before.

Also format sdcard with your computer (use disk mananger on a mac) before burning the image to it again.

Tigagreen

Feb 22, 2011
I had the same problem as you the first time I rooted 1.1. I think my problem was using winimage. I too had no errors just a black screen, but when I tried the second time I rewrote the image with win32diskimg, then everything worked as expected. For me the black screen after powerup only last about 2-4 min. The USB errors on the PC also happen with in 2-4 min.

dferrier

Mar 1, 2011
Restore your nook completely stock. Do the 8 reboot to get the nook back to a running system. Go to device settings and erase and deregister the nook. Once it reboots. Hold down the power button and the N for twenty seconds. Release and repeat 5 more times. It'll come up with a window and confirm erase procedure. Once booted log into nook and register device. Now update the device to 1.1 through barnes and noble procedure .. Once finished go to Monster RootPack Manual and download the root pack and burn to sd. Plug it in and reboot. It'll reboot to clockwork from the sd. Once there go to install from zip and root folder and select the version of your nc. Install root.zip first then install goodies. And I wouldn't install clockwork. I've not had good luck with it. Remove sd and go to reboot system. Then now ur rooted. Then follow rootdevs.com procedure for logging in with youtube. That's the procedure I used and its been great. I was looking at changing the kernel to overclock but its to reliable now to mess up.. haha.. let me know if this might help.. not sure if this was what u were looking for..

Ok I had already tried the autonooter route again. All the way back to stock 1.0.1 and then waited 40 minutes but never any boot so decided to try the monster root pack with excellent results. Here is the break down of what I did:

- erase and deregister

- did the hardware reset

- checked version was at 1.0.1

- copied Sideload_update.zip for 1.1 update from B&N

- checked and version was indeed 1.1.0

- downloaded http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/8gb_clockwork-0.7.tar.gz

- wrote the 8gb_clockwork-0.7.tar.gz to a 8gig card

- downloaded http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/128mb_rootpack-0.7.tar.gz

- downloaded version 1.1.0 http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/zips/rooting/1.1/root.zip

- downloaded http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/zips/extras/installclockwork.zip

- downloaded http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/zips/extras/removeclockwork.zip

- downloaded version 1.1.0 http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/zips/rooting/1.1/googleapps.zip

- copied root.zip version 1.1.0 to new 8gig clockwork boot sd card

- copied removeclockwork.zip, installclockwork.zip and googleapps.zip to the 8gig card

- inserted sd card in NC and booted

- chose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then root.zip then scroll down to "Yes - Install root.zip

- now go through the same procedure to install googleapps.zip

- remove sd card and reboot. BTW I kind of like that skull and crossbones motif on booting this thing... :)

- got a kind of scary "install failed" message in the middle of the screen and something about calling B&N about it. "Power off and power back on" it says. So did this but when it rebooted all was well. So carry on...

- And was rewarded with cool color nook boot animation. Excellent.

- followed excellent directions from Monster RootPack Manual

the relevant part here:

If you installed the GoogleApps.zip file, follow the directions below (if not, just skip them):

Once your device reboots, you will be presented with a setup wizard. (Below instructions from GabrialDestruir’s AutoNooter post on XDA)

1. Upon boot unlock your screen.
2. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
3. Enable Location Services when given the option.
4. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from "Extras".
5. Click the Menu button (The one RIGHT of the Up Arrow).
6. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account. (YOU MUST USE YOUR FULL GMAIL ADDRESS!)
7. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from "Extras".
8. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
9. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.

- after this I proceeded to install zeam launcher and various other packages.

So I'm good now. Still wondering about the autonooter thing because thats how I rooted my NC the first time I did it some weeks ago.

Oh well. This monster rootpack works well.

dferrier

Mar 1, 2011
I had the same problem as you the first time I rooted 1.1. I think my problem was using winimage. I too had no errors just a black screen, but when I tried the second time I rewrote the image with win32diskimg, then everything worked as expected. For me the black screen after powerup only last about 2-4 min. The USB errors on the PC also happen with in 2-4 min.

Ah ok maybe that was it then. I will try to remember that. I did use win32diskimg the first time around.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Glad to hear you got it working. There have been some bugs with rooting using autonooter 3 from 1.1 but it is good that you had success with the monser root method.

cse

Mar 6, 2011
Extreme noob here, first time posting on the forum so apologize up front for any protocol errors, but wanted to add to the knowledge base since I've learned so much from everyone so far.

I too could not root using autorooter 3.0 for whatever reason. My NC came with stock 1.1 OS and each time I tried autonooter with various SD cards and classes at least 10 different ways it would always lock up with the blank screen on boot up from the SD card. I assume at this point it might be an issue with autonooter 3.0 and the stock 1.1 OS but who knows.

Was about to give up until I found this thread and the ref to Monster Rootpack and that would have worked flawlessly were it not for "operator malfunction" (me) on a couple of tries.

Here are a couple of self imposed issues I ran into that I hope will keep others from making the same mistake so their install will be flawless:

1. When rooting for the first time using the Monster Rootpack, don't install any of the included additional zips (specifically installclockwork.zip) that are NOT necessary to the initial rooting process (as I did) just to be safe. I figured I'd install installclockwork.zip to see how it worked and it did exactly exactly as programmed, over and over and over.... always stopping at the Clockwork on every reboot. Upon taking a deep breath I ran the other removeclockwork.zip file and on the next reboot got past the Clockwork screen to boot successfully. Told ya I was a noob!

2. As deferrier stated when it comes up with the "install failed message" simply power off and power back on again it will boot past the message the second time through.

3. This one may not happen much but it's something for everyone to be aware of. I travel a lot and was rooting at the hotel. When logging into YouTube for the first time, the NC browser does not like being redirected after rooting to any hot spot's "agreement" screen to use their wireless. Had to wait until I got home to my home wireless (no redirect screens there...lol) to log into youtube and synch up. Now the browser works fine for those redirects....BTW, I like Firefox downloadable browser for NC.

I think I made every possible mistake you could on such a simple process, so if anyone wants to contact me on how NOT to root a NC I'm your man. I made some mistakes, learned a ton, and it's certainly worth the effort! Thanks to everyone for all their posts!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
A common reason why some people have a problem rooting using the autonooter is they do not let the process complete. Often unplugging the Nook Color from the usb cable before the booting process complete.

On the "monster pack": The only hangup I have with it is it's a little outdated now. The pack includes Clockworkmod recovery version 3.0.0.5, which if used with the autonooter 3.0, will cause bootloops back into CWM recovery.

cse

Mar 6, 2011
I agree I read many posts where it said to wait while auto nooter boots up. I tried waiting 45 minutes at least twice, felt that was more than enough time for the thing to attempt to boot. Again not sure why there were issues with it, Monster Rootpack did what I needed it to do. Now just don't want to go broke downloading Market Apps :)