Case cracks?

makaiguy

Apr 10, 2013
Have ordered an Acer Iconia A110 from New Egg, due to arrive tomorrow. It was the only 7" running the Tegra 3 processor I could find that had HDMI output.

Now I've just run across this thread ( https://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php/79427-Acer-Iconia-A110-cracks ) where quite a few people seem to be having problems with cases cracking in the corners and pieces falling off. Needless to say, I'm becoming concerned as the support for the problem seems to be lacking.

Is anybody here experiencing the same problem?

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I bought mine back in the beginning of December at a local Walmart up here in the Great White North and it's still totally intact - no cracks or separation anywhere, yet. And, I use it everyday and night, of course. Albeit, only at home. All those horror stories seem to be geographically limited to users in England. It could be that it was just a bad batch. However, the lame response by Acer is indeed disconcerting. Good luck with yours.

Ed

makaiguy

Apr 10, 2013
All those horror stories seem to be geographically limited to users in England. It could be that it was just a bad batch.
Yes, that's what I'm hoping too. This model is still pretty new and I haven't found all that much in the way of people's experience around the 'net yet, so maybe that store in England did just get a bad batch. [fingers crossed]

However, the lame response by Acer is indeed disconcerting.
Yeah, doesn't build up a nice warm feeling, does it?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had to return a 10" Asus Transformer after only a few days because it would repeatedly shutdown/reset for no apparent reason (cold solder joint, I expect), and bought this to replace it. The 10" form factor was just too big for me.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
For the big picture, I like to use the micro HDMI out feature. It's a nice extra that the pricier tabs don't always provide. As for Acer tech support, I called the help line in India once with a software issue, which they weren't able to resolve. So, they transfered my query to a higher level team in the US and I got a call back next morning from a guy in Austin who was able to connect the dots and not only explain the problem but also solve it.
With regards to this forum, our Acer a110 group hasn't been that vocal, so far. Probably, as you suggest, because of the relative newness of this model. Hopefully, the chatter will only in increase in the future. And, in a positive way, I'm sure.

Cheers,
Ed

makaiguy

Apr 10, 2013
HDMI was one of my major selection criteria.

This was the only 7-incher I could find with an HDMI output that had a decent processor. Our local small college's sports are available on video stream and I want a relatively easy way to watch them on the big screen, even though their streamed resolution is pretty dreadful even on a small screen. I'm also hoping this will enable easy streaming of Netflix, etc, when at our wifi-equipped timeshare condo.