cell standby problem

dani44

Feb 23, 2012
HI,
I am using a MID android2.3 tablet,manufacturer vimicro,which have no phone function.But cellstandy using 82% of battery.I search in system/app to rename phone.apk but there is no phone.apk ,only dialerstorage(telephoneprovider.apk) and telephoneprovider.odex .Anybody know where I can locate phone.apk and remove the cellstandby.
thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi dani,

This is a common misconception. If your tablet doesn't have cell capabilities (a cell chip) then it is not actually draining your battery but rather a misreported statistic. Don't worry about it.

JP

dani44

Feb 23, 2012
Hi dani,

This is a common misconception. If your tablet doesn't have cell capabilities (a cell chip) then it is not actually draining your battery but rather a misreported statistic. Don't worry about it.

JP

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.My tablets battery is 3600mah and I am getting below 3hrs without wifi and with wifi around 2hrs running time .normaly howmany hrs will be the running time of this type battery.
Thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There are too many factors to account for when it comes to battery life. It is sort of like MPG in a car, it all depends on how you drive. The most battery conservation can usually be achieved by the following.

Turn the screen brightness as low as you can stand and only turn up as necessary.
Turn off wifi and bluetooth when not in use.
Avoid live wallpapers.
Set the screen timeout to a short period.
Set data fetching apps to a longer period (i.e. have email check every 30 minutes or hour).

JP

dhinged

Jun 27, 2011
Hi dani,

JP

You're wrong; I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab (SCH-I800, the original 7") and ever since I added Verizon's $10 tablet data plan to the device, Cell Standby activated, I got the phone reception bars at the top, and Cell Standby showed up on my Battery Usage list and was typically around 33%. I use my tablet for a few minutes every morning and it went from having to be charged once a week to having to be charged once every day or two whether I used it or not. I could find no option to disable it and neither could the Verizon representative.

I called Verizon and they said that they attach a phone number to every device that you have 3G service on whether it even has the hardware to make a phone call or not because that's what they use to track those devices. Apparently my device (or Android) automatically turns on Cell Standby when it's aware that an active phone number is on the device. So I have to have cell standby service drain my battery every night for a phone number that I can't even make a phone call on. Brilliant.