Cell Standby

stratic

Dec 19, 2011
What is Cell Standby? Is there any way to get rid of it? I recently received a 7022 tablet and was trying to maximize its battery life and I noticed a process call cell standby was using over 70% of the tablets power. Being a wifi device, there is no need for this, right? If you could provide any help I would greatly appreciate it.

JerryScript

Mar 12, 2011
If you root it, you can then delete the telephony and phone apks. This will give you a big increase in battery life. ;)

stratic

Dec 19, 2011
When I try to deltete them it says it can"t because they are read only. I am rooted.

Classicmm

Dec 23, 2011
Before you start deleting system apps, I'd make a backup if you haven't done so already. Being bricked is no fun! I use an app called Antek (on the market) to freeze them when I can.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Use es file explorer to mount r/w (enable in settings) then rename .apk to. old. Then restart.

P.s. no need to delete just rename

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk

mister_hyde

Dec 24, 2011
I have a 7125, rooted, market 3.1.3. When I try to 'mount file system' in ES File Manager Root settings, it says "failed to mount drive", and it still puts a check mark in the box. When I uncheck it, it says "failed to unmount"

Also, how do I find the .apk's that need to be renamed/deleted to get rid of cell standby and other phone related services? Search for apk's only turns up my Amazon.com apps. (it says I am browsing /sdcard/ and am not sure how to browse root)

stratic

Dec 19, 2011
Download Root Explorer from the Market and open it. Go down and select system, then app. At the top of the page, select "Mount R/W". The two apk's that you want to delete are Phone and TelephonyProvider. Instead of .apk, rename them to .old. This is the method that worked for me. Hope it helps.

mister_hyde

Dec 24, 2011
I had ROM Toolbox already installed, and that has a Root Explorer/Editor on it. Was able to find the two .apk and renamed them to .bak. Now all my battery shows is WiFI, Device, and Idle.....yeah!

anvicoto

Dec 29, 2011
I would also like to add, after renaming to Phone.apk and Telephony.apk to .old I booted into recovery and wiped cache and dalvic cache (advanced settings) rebooted and voila.... no cell standby.......:D

RoyR

Jan 1, 2012
Now that cell standby is "gone," are you getting significantly better battery life? If that phantom cell phone really was some kind of power-sucking app, the 80% that used to go to that should now be 0% and you should have ~4X the battery life.

I'm betting that's not happening, altho I wish it would (I just bought a 7127). I've been postulating that cell standby is a misnomer for "System Standby," and that is what takes most of the power, whether you rename those telephony files or not.

I don't mean to be argumentative...just curious.

Roy

mister_hyde

Dec 24, 2011
I've got two 7125's, one with the cell standby active, and one with it inactive. (various reason). Both are fully charged right now from overnight, I think I'll test the battery on them today. Will post results.

RoyR

Jan 1, 2012
I've got two 7125's, one with the cell standby active, and one with it inactive. (various reason). Both are fully charged right now from overnight, I think I'll test the battery on them today. Will post results.

ahhhhhh....great, Mister_Hyde. Finally, a definitive report on this issue! Two identical units compared side-by-side. Looking forward to the results!

Roy

mister_hyde

Dec 24, 2011
Okay, well, you guys aren't going to like the results. Not sure why or if there's something I've tweeked more on the one.
With Cell Standy: 8 hrs with screen on mostly (I tried to keep watch on them)
Using Battery: Cell Standby, Display, Device Idle
Running Processes: market, GoLauncher EX, Android Keyboard, Email, Magic Smoke Wallpaper

Without: 5.5 hrs with screen on mostly
Using Battery: Display, Device Idle
Running Processes: market, GoLauncher EX, media, android keyboard, Live Wallpaper (grass)
Not sure why media is only on one. I've only watched a movie and have pics on the other one. And yes, email/contacts only setup on other one.

So there you have it. Not sure why the results are what they are. Comments Please!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Now that cell standby is "gone," are you getting significantly better battery life? If that phantom cell phone really was some kind of power-sucking app, the 80% that used to go to that should now be 0% and you should have ~4X the battery life.

I'm betting that's not happening, altho I wish it would (I just bought a 7127). I've been postulating that cell standby is a misnomer for "System Standby," and that is what takes most of the power, whether you rename those telephony files or not.

I don't mean to be argumentative...just curious.

Roy

Yes, this is it. The "Cell Standby" is a misreported metric due to Android being a phone ROM. If the device doesn't have a cell chip then it isn't using any power for cell standby, plain and simple. This use simply gets reported under another category if you remove cell standby.

As the results of mister_hyde's tests indicate battery tests are complicated by many factors which make head to head comparison tricky. If however the cell standby was really using so much battery it would be readily apparent in tests. Since you don't automatically get x times more battery, there is nothing to the myth that removing cell standby will improve battery life. I am just about ready to submit this one to snopes ;)