[CFW] GingerLF - Custom GingerBread Android 2.3 for MID1024

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
WARNING!

It was found that some MID1024 tablets have a different board. Some are 1025_v4 while some are 1024n. 1024n will accept official firmware from factory as well as custom ones (if you know how to flash, of course! it will void your warranty!). How to find out what board you have? Follow this thread.

Finally! Gingerbread for MID1024 with Honeycomb theme!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone in this forum. I have learned a lot and there is always someone willing to help (or at least give some feedback ;)). Special props go to:

- Steev: the script master, source of most mods and code found here
- Pickupman66, Vernox701 and flxrms: tips and feedback
- jmv_10: found and shared a AllDro2 Gingerbread ROM for smdkv10 based devices
- Coby for releasing a official restore firmware
- sunset0202 for the boot logo
- Symbean for the new HC UI (V1.3+)
- Everyone who helped with the touchscreen drivers in this thread, specially SampNeves and dachabre.

So, what do you get?

- Original Coby u-boot.bin and utscript
- Gingerbread 2.3
- Rooted (latest Superuser package as of release date), adb too.
- 1.5GB internal storage (more space for your apks, should work with any internal microSD card)
- Gapps for 2.3 and Market 2.3.6 (this is the most compatible Market so far, you can upgrade if you want, but this one will survive a factory reset!). PS: In V1.2+ Market will self-update to the latest compatible version available.
- Patches for 3G, Bluetooth, USB->Ethernet, GPS via USB, full HDMI and Ad-Hoc tethering (please help with testing!)
- Spiffy boot animation: UOT Kitchen Bubbles
- Battery with percentage (thanks to UOT Kitchen!)
- LCD Density set to 160
- Some cool installation info on screen, it won't install if it detects no NAND and only 1 SD!
- Choose your look: stock Gingerbread or Honeycomb (see below)
- Custom install your apks during installation (see below)
- Some ROM tuning, but you can choose between vanilla, kyros enhanced or Galaxy Tab faking (see below)

Disclaimer: This custom firmware was tested in a multi-touch MID1024 and worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use. If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.

This version isn't supported anymore. Please install the next version that has its own thread now, V1.5 EVO:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...o-custom-gingerbread-android-2-3-mid1024.html

Installation

I recommend that you previously do a full format in FAT32 mode to make sure the card is OK, and fully charge your tablet's battery.

1. Download ZIP file
2. Uncompress and copy its contents to the root folder of a microSD. Don't move the folder, but its contents. You should see a file called "u-boot.bin" in the root folder of the microSD card that will be used in the external slot of your tablet!
3. Insert the microSD card in the external slot and start your tablet holding the Home button (silver one). Don't hold it for too long: as soon as you see some blue text on screen, release all buttons.
4. Relax and wait. If it can't be installed then you will see ABORTED on screen and reboot.

First boot will be slow, hang on! If you install stock launcher, it will request you to restart once (this should fix some problems with media browsing).

V1.0 - BraveOne
Download link - CFW-MID1024-GingerLF-V1.0 - Minus.com
MD5 AA:B0:8C:71:52:A4:3D:AE:4F:5E:66:19:44:B0:F5:E8

Customizations
1. Don't want boot animation (will show standard Android), remove bootanimation.zip from update folder (or replace it with your own).
2. Tuning: go to update/customer/system and you will see four build.prop files:
build.prop.kyros - MID1024 fingerprint, optimized, fake USA Carrier (default)
build.prop.vanilla - MID1024 fingerprint, vanilla, no Carrier (one used in my V0.1 version)
build.prop.tab - Galaxy Tab fingerprint, optimized, fake USA Carrier
Copy the one you want to build.prop before installation. You can also edit the file later if you want using root explorer or es file explorer in root mode.
3. Launcher: go to update and edit launcher.inf. Default is stock, you can change it to honeycomb for HC theming.
PS: the file must be edited with a program that reads Linux line feeds. If it doesn't work for you, use the original launcher.inf from the ZIP file, delete stock inside the launcher folder and rename honeycomb to stock.
4. Custom apks: copy them to update/apk. Important: file names must not have any spaces! Rename the files if needed.

PS: It seems that LCD density set to 160 breaks Google Docs. You can download LCD Resolution from Market to change it, or edit init.smdkv210.rc file.

V1.1 - SafePath
Download link - CFW-MID1024-GingerLF-V1.1 - Minus.com
MD5 83:6B:BC:00:37:33:6B:DC:04:F6:5D:52:17:57:AA:20

ChangeLog
1. Improved information on screen during installation and new log.txt file saved on installation microSD (thanks to steev!)
2. LCD density reverted to 200 for improved compatibility with apps, bigger soft keyboard and more Honeycomb goodness (see screenshots!)
3. Default build.prop is now vanilla: safer and stable (Gingerbread already runs fast on MID1024!), but you can still use the modded ones (see above)
4. No more boot animation for now, until I can make sure that free space in system partition does not slow down system or cause problems (you can still drop your bootanimation.zip in the root folder of the microSD and it will be installed, or copy it later to /system/media).
5. Default theme is now Honeycomb with improved look and animations, thanks to steev and UOT Kitchen! (If you want stock Launcher, then simply delete or rename honeycomb folder). If you want the HC lockscreen, then move init.smdkv210.rc.append to the honeycomb folder. Be aware it's buggy!
6. custom apk folder moved to the root folder. If you don't want stock Aldiko, etc, simply delete them. (or add your own ones to be pre-installed in data partition)
7. 3G and ethernet patch removed for now, since maybe they cause problem with 3G. I think the support for 3G is built-in anyway. If you do want to use them anyway, the files are included, simply move them to the patches folder. If you use it, please give me some feedback so I know if it's needed or not.
8. Gamepad, Bluetooth, full HDMI (for real now!), Voice settings and other nice minor patches (see tips).
9. Added auto use of external microSD as sdcard partition (thanks to flxrms!)

V1.2 - SpeedOfLight
Download link - CFW-MID1024-GingerLF-V1.2 - Minus.com
MD5 D4:DC:52:E1:F8:98:82:9C:D1:49:09:C9:FF:FE:2C:E2

Changelog
1. New boot logo: "Kyros by Coby", cortesy of sunset0202 for steev
2. All new u-boot and system files from a Gingerbread version for 1024n
3. Full TXT log created on SD during installation
4. New rooting method, with updated binaries
5. LCD density set to 160dpi and Galay Tab 7" fingerprint with optimizations
6. Updated Market, showing USA version and a tablet section (it will auto-update whenever a new version comes out)
7. V6 Supercharger and mountopts optmizations by steev
8. Stock Launcher is back to default since the apps drawer has a bug (you can still install HC theme tho)
9. Pre-installed app: VoiceSearch with no sound noise for Gingerbread, Perfect Keyboard with Portuguese plugin, LCD resolution app and others (see "apk" folder)
10. Optional new Gtalk version with audio and voice (mic doesn't work tho)
11. 3G_outlay, ethernet and ad-hoc support patches disable to improved stability (3G support is enabled and should work, but I don't have a modem to test), you can still activate them if you want.

Personalization
- delete or rename file "160.dpi" to actiavte 200dpi (stock resolution). Warning: some apps may be missing from Market, which won't show tablet section.
- delete or rename "0_no_new_GTalk" to install new Gtalk version with audio/video support. If you do, you can't add a bootanimation since there will be not enough free space on system partition.
- rename "honeycomb1" folder to "honeycomb" (remove "1" from its name) to install HC theme
- if you want a (buggy) HC lockscreen, move "init.smdkv210.rc.append" to honeycomb folder (not recommended)
- to enable a patch that was disabled, go to "DISABLED_PATCHES" folder and move the file to the "patches" folder before installation
- check "apk" folder for additional apps (you can add your onw, just make sure filename has no blank spaces).

V1.3 - Mr.Big
Download link - CFW-MID1024-GingerLF-V1.3 - Minus.com
MD5 42:9A:1F:54:6F:86:C6:04:5D:D9:3C:F8:ED:66:2F:F2

Changelog
- Brand new HC UI kindly shared by Symbean - SP5V210-honeycomb UI [11/11/2011] - SlateDroid.com
- New Launcher (Zeam/Tsunami) for those who prefer stock UI, with support to 8 x 8 icons in workspace!
- NTFS support by steev: mount microSD, flash drivers and possibly HD's (not tested) formatted in NTFS.
- GamepadIME mod with USB PS3 controller support by steev.
- Even more build.prop optimizations, faster file system (init.d mod), bigger cache (512KB vc 128KB std) and more empty space as well using tune2fs statically compiled by steev.
- "Factory reset proof" V6 Supercharge by steev.
- Gapps reverted to 20110115 version: probably more compatible as system files are actually version 2.3 anyway.
- Android System Info app: shows system information, multitouch test.
- Titanium Backup (free version) app installed as default.
- Fixed bug that caused crash when trying to record videos using built-in camera app.
- Removed net.tcp.buffersize optimization since it seemed to cause problems with certain routers and maybe Google sync too.

Personalization
- delete or rename file "160.dpi" to actiavte 200dpi (stock resolution). Warning: some apps may be missing from Market, which won't show tablet section.
- delete or rename "0_no_new_GTalk" to install new Gtalk version with audio/video support. If you do, you can't add a bootanimation since there will be not enough free space on system partition, only install if you do not install Honeycomb theme.
- rename or delete "honeycomb" to install stock theme.
- to enable a patch that was disabled, go to "DISABLED_PATCHES" folder and move the file to the "patches" folder before installation.
- check "apk" folder for additional apps (you can add your onw, just make sure filename has no blank spaces).

Ok, that's it. Please report any success or failure, it will help make it better. Enjoy. ;)

Tips
1. Press and hold the M button to show/hide keyboard in most apps!
2. Go to Settings -> Display and look at the very bottom to customize Launcher workspace animation (at least on HC theme, V1.0-1.2 only).
3. Voice input & output setting is activated but not enabled: simply scroll to the bottom and select it in the list, mark "use by default" if you only use it.
4. You can use the Voice I/O to open many hidden settings page, like APN and Quick Launch (disabe B here by long pressing it!).
5. If you upgrade to Market 3.x, change LCD density or use it in portrait orientation. Market 3.x + build.prop.tab will give you more apps, but only USA Market!
6. Gamepad support works via input mode. If you can't see some apps in 2.3.6 or Market 3.x, update Market, clear its data in Settings -> Application, change LCD density to 160, open Market again. If you do this you will see all apps that run in Froyo and above, and you can go back to 200dpi later. It's possible to install 3.x over the built-on version, it will self-update to 3.1.5. If you want 3.2 then you have to copy Vending.apk over the built-in one in /system/app.
7. The only way to decrease boot time is moving apks to SD (App2SD). You can do it one by one in Settings -> Applications or use a 3rd party utility.
8. More tips to come...

V1.1 Screenshots
$shot_000001.png$shot_000002.png

V1.2 Screenshot (Market)
$jpPKmaf4sJKUC.png

V1.3 Screenshots
$shot_000001.png$shot_000002.png

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks! I was able to connect to a ad-hoc network created in my Mac: the hotspot was shown with a (*) next to it (probably to denote it's not secure). The bad news is that it always display the connection speed as -1. Not a deal breaker, I guess, connecting to ad-hoc network is a much more needed feature. ;)

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
It seems that Google Docs doesn't work in 160dpi. Anyone else having issues? Setting LCD density to 172 allowed me to open it, but tablet looks better in 160 dpi. :(

Also, Dice Player doesn't work (trial version at least), I've read reports it doesn't work in other devices as well, I don't know the cause. Mobo and MX Video Player (my personal choice) worked fine.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Looks good, lfom.

Would you mind if I used your build.prop files in my own ROM?

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
This is really sweet...now all xx24 tablet is running Gingerbread mod :)

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
awesome dude!!! talk about super fast getting this worked up. I am sitting in a dead battery state so I dont get to play with this till tomorrow, but you better bet I am taking my Kyros to work and installing this baby!!!! now just to choose the theme...

if I want to leave it default do I need to edit the build.prop files or just unzip, copy and boot it?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
awesome dude!!! talk about super fast getting this worked up. I am sitting in a dead battery state so I dont get to play with this till tomorrow, but you better bet I am taking my Kyros to work and installing this baby!!!! now just to choose the theme...

if I want to leave it default do I need to edit the build.prop files or just unzip, copy and boot it?

Customizations are optional. Default are: bootanimation (bubbles), stock Gingerbread launcher, Aldiko is the only custom apk and Kyros fingerprint with optimizations (build.prop). If you want something else, then you have to change stuff. ;)

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
Finally! Gingerbread for MID1024 with Honeycomb theme!

Customizations

1. Don't want boot animation (will show standard Android), remove bootanimation.zip from update folder (or replace it with your own).
2. Tuning: go to upgdate/customer/system and you will see four build.prop files:
build.prop.kyros - MID1024 fingerprint, optmized, fake USA Carrier (default)
build.prop.vanilla - MID1024 fingerprint, vanilla, no Carrier (same used in my V0.1 version)
build.prop.tab - Galaxy Tab fingerprint, optmized, USA Carrier
Copy the one you want to build.prop before installation. You can also edit the file later if you want using root explorer or es file explorer in root mode.
3. Launcher: go to update and edit launcher.inf. Default is stock, you can change it to honeycomb for HC theming.
4. Custom apks: copy them to update/apk. Important: file names must not have any spaces! Rename the files if needed.

Ok, that's it. Enjoy and report any success or failure. It will help make it better. Enjoy. ;)

Ok I like your creation very much....
1. How exactly do you enable the honeycomb theme...I changed "stock" to honeycomb in the launcher.ini file but the logger says honeycomb cannot be found. Should I save the changed launcher.ini in another text editor other than notepad
2. I was very surprised to see that lcd density of 160 looks nice only gripe would be the keyboard seems a little smashed. Thank you for your efforts they are very appreciated
3. Five Column app drawer looks natural...nice job
4. Status bar has white clock numbers:)
5. Can the phone.apk be removed

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
1. You mean launcher.inf? This should work... steev mentioned somewhere that you must use a text editor that understands Lunux line breaks, that's probably why it didn't work. I will change it in the next version to be easier and fail proof.
2. Install PerfectKeyboard free, you can make it bigger and there is a split version good for thumb typing.
3. Thanks.
4. ;)
5. It's enabled by Contacts.apk. If you don't need to access it, remove it from /update/customer/system/app (or /system/app after the update).

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Haven't tested yet, but I think this will make it work with both unix and dos line breaks.
Code:
LAUNCHER=$(cat /mnt/mmc/update/launcher.inf | tr -d '\r')

fmnelson

Oct 10, 2011
Lfom,

I'm booting up for the 5th time. Boot time is still 1:31:10. Feels like a long time to boot. Thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Android Tablet Forum