Changing LCD Density on MID8024

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
One small issue I had with the MID8024 when I first got it was that the screen resolution seemed far too low. Granted, it is an 800x600 device, which is not as high as it could be, but it didn't look right at all.

Enter the LCD Density setting. Turns out, the MID8024 doesn't have to have such exaggeratedly large spacing on lists and icons, there is a setting to tweak it. Read an excellent explanation of LCD Density here.

This thread isn't to claim any new discovery, only to assure MID8024 owners that you can in fact change LCD Density without any adverse affects (quite the contrary, the change is good.) This is not a new process, but here it is for MID8024 owners (and probably 7024/1024 as well.) You are modifying a system file, so proceed with caution and at your own risk.

Instructions:

Thanks to Dave52355 for a clear and simple write-up on rooting here. We'll use part of his instructions to get a temporary "soft root" so we can make this change. You'll need adb working:

1. Get "SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse.zip" (available on XDA or via Google). Extract the file "psneuter" from the zip and place it where your adb binary is (or where you can run it from), you don't need anything else. Don't run the SuperOneClick application.
  2. Run these commands:
    • adb push psneuter /etc/
    • adb shell chmod 777 /etc/psneuter
  3. Now run "adb shell" and type "/etc/psneuter". adb will exit. Wait a second and restart "adb sell"
  4. You should have a command line starting with # (root privileges, only lasts until reboot)
  5. You can leave psneuter in /etc to re-use any time you want (even after a reboot)

Now, the setting is contained in /system/build.prop. Go ahead and get the file with:

Code:
adb pull /system/build.prop

I recommned renaming it to build.prop.new. Modify it on your PC, uncommenting and changing the line:

Code:
#ro.sf.lcd_density=200

When you're done it should read something like this (you can test different densities if you want, 180 worked well for me):

Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=180

Now, put the file back on your MID8024 with:

Code:
adb push build.prop.new /system/

then use 'adb shell' and do the following:

Code:
cd /system
mv build.prop build.prop.old
mv build.prop.new build.prop
chown 1001:1001 build.prop

I would recommend using 'cat build.prop' when you're done, to make sure you did it right (you should see your new density setting there). Now power off and back on to see the results. I didn't need to recalibrate afterward, but I did it anyway just for the heck of it.

Voila, you now have a more usable density setting. Where it helps the most is in list views (go to system prefs, notice how you can see more of the prefs on one screen?). Worked perfectly on the MID8024. Enjoy.

NOTE: If you're in Win7 and you're in the android SDK folders, remember to use a text editor that has admin rights or your changes won't stick.