Charging/Running with a cigarette lighter?

Gibbs

May 11, 2013
Bought a D2-912 aka D2-PAD Internet Tablet at Big Lots. It came with a charger and in the instructions say to only use that charger. Had it one week and yesterday 5-11-13, I was moving some flv and MPG4 files from my computer to the plug in Micro SD card and I noticed that the USB charged it while it was plugged in. So, I left it plugged in after I was done and the battery came to full 100% charge. THAT might come in useful to anyone that has one of these and has it away from home and don't have the actual charger with them.

I was wondering if I can use a cigarette lighter adapter -> Micro USB in the car? That would be very handy as one is driving to keep the tablet up to charge.

Also I downloaded Google Maps for this thing and it works beautifully! This is a Wi-Fi only tablet meaning you can't be driving along and pull off the shoulder and expect to use Google Maps, but rather find a local wi-fi hot spot, such as Pizza Hut, McDonalds, etc and maybe even some rest stops??? to get a wi-fi signal.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
A cigarette lighter USB charger will work for some tablets but not others. If it got charged in a reasonable time frame on a PC then it will probably work in the lighter charger.

Last edited:

Gibbs

May 11, 2013
Nice selection in Amazon. I save to favorites a cigarette adapter plug in that has the outlet as 110 VAC as well as 2 usb ports. One is 5v 2.0 Amp for iPads. Well the output of the AC adapter that came with the D2-912 as an output of 2.1 amps so other than 0.1 less amperage output, I think that would work nicely to charge up the tablet as well a provide a continuous energy source for operation down the road while it is on.

Gibbs

May 11, 2013
Last visit at Big Lots I picked up their D2-721_BK model as well. Has 800 x 600 resolution 1.2 GHz processor and 1GB system ram, along with port for SD Micro card. Also bought a 16GB Micro SD card there for 12.00 (sometimes on sale for 9.00, and a cigarette charger with micro USB for $5.00. That cigarette lighter charger has a built in circuit to prevent over charge and a few other features. Same OS of 4.1 Jelly Bean, but different processor. Interestingly enough Maxthon Browser as a stand alone would download and install on my 9" but only cloud version would work (be allowed to install) on the 7" even though same OS. Must have been the difference of the processor and internals.