Chinese Tablets - legal or illegal?

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
After reading the alarming Sticky at the top of the page I wanted to open a thread where we could ask questions and/or make comments about this topic.

How can one be absolutely sure that their chinese tablet of choice is not an illegal one?

I just purchased a Chinese tablet from a company in Canada that offers a 1-year warranty on the product. That made me feel safe to buy it. But is that enough?

Personally, I'm very, very new to learning all this tech stuff! And I just jumped right in but am learning as I go.

*My tablet: Meiying M11

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
It really doesn't matter where the item is sold. If the tablet hasn't been sent through the FCC for approval/certification, it's not legal in the US. Plain and simple.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
Okay, that's one good answer. So how do we figure out if it's been approved? How can we tell before we purchase it? Is there a way?

yoyona

Dec 27, 2011
Frankly, i don't know whether it is legal or illegal, but my experinece about chinese tablets are just happy.. : )

bootsie

Aug 3, 2012
I`ve just bought a MEIYING M10 from China and am so happy with it, connected to my WiFi straight away, can send emails, download apps etc and have ordered an 8g TF card today for more storage. I do hope others who have purchased this model can sort out their problems because this model is really good.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
It really doesn't matter where the item is sold. If the tablet hasn't been sent through the FCC for approval/certification, it's not legal in the US. Plain and simple.

I don't see any FCC Registration ID/label on my tablet, purchased from Frys Electronics in the U.S.
What's the FCC ID on the Google Nexus 7?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
An individual can import electronics from China for personal use, so no worries about fcc certification.

Sent from my Tablet like device running Android