CM10 for Coby 8042

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is a prerequisite post for CM10 for 8042.
1. you need a sdcard
2. you need to partition the sdcard
3. sdcard needs to have three partitions, 1.fat 2 ext4 partitions
4. you need to be rooted.
5. you need cwm recovery installed.
6. you need to have adb setup and working
7. you need to determine which partition on sdcard is going to be used /system
8. you need to determine which partition on sdcard is going to be used for /data
9. the /system partition should be at least 500MB, I recommend 1024MB or 1GB
10. the /data partition should be at least 1024MB I recommend 2048MB or 2GB can be larger

AnTuTu bench test custom with sdcard unselected.

Slideshow of CM10 pics
ImageShack(TM) slideshow

For Linux users just use gparted to partition the sdcard.

For windows users below is a guide, you would need to add one more partition than this guide has, but none the less it shows you what to do and what tool to use.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/SD_card_partitioning

Once you partitioned your sdcard, boot into recovery

You should make a backup before you install cm10.

adb shell

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data

busybox df -h

now look at your Used Available for /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

the partition mount as /data should be larger than the one mounted by /system.

if /system partition is larger then umount both

umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

then switch mount points

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data

now /data partition should be larger than /system partition

there will be two boot.img one is for /data mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

the other is for /data mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

so you need to know where your /data is mounted before flashing boot.img

If your /data is mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 use this boot.img

cm10_8042_p3.zip

If your /data is mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 use this boot.img

cm10_8042_p2.zip

This is CM10 for Coby 8042

http://www.4shared.com/file/btXrUFrA/1jb8042_system.htmll

To install, you have to already done the prerequisites, now choose your boot.img either cm10_8042_p2.zip or cm10_8042_p3.zip place it on your sdcard, now download 1jb8042_system.tar place it on your sdcard, reboot to recovery.

in mount options on cw recovery choose mount /sdcard, format /cache mount /cache
adb shell
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system
or
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system

depending on which boot.img you choose.

busybox tar -xvf /sdcard/1jb8042_system.tar

once finished close terminal choose install zip from sdcard
choose the boot.img you downloaded install then reboot.

Once cm10 is installed and working you can then add scripts to run as dual boot.

I run dual boot with CM9 and CM10

You need to already have CM9 installed

to do this you need two scripts one goes in /system/bin on CM9 and CM10, you also need to create a folder on your sdcard called.

dual_boot

inside the dual-boot folder place cm9 and cm10 boot.img

then download these scripts place reboot-cm9 into cm10 /system/bin

place reboot-cm10 into cm9 /system/bin chmod 755 both.

then if you want to switch OS open terminal

su

reboot-cm10

or

reboot-cm9

http://www.mediafire.com/?bn2hsl5yp5hxjt2

if you are using cm10_8042_p3.zip then you need to edit reboot-cm10 script and add a 1 to boot_ds.img every time you see boot_ds.img change it to 1boot_ds.img then save.

Note this cm10 hasn't been updated since first posted, it doesn't include 4.2

Last edited by a moderator:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Well I am off, wont be back til tomorrow, my son's football game is away, anyway I have tried to make this as easy as possible.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Wow this looks awesome. I picked up a Coby 8042 just because you are the developer for it you are great. I am going to try and setup dual boot on my tablet here in a little bit and see how it works.

jcruckus

Nov 5, 2011
vampirefo, thank you for releasing this.. now I have a super loaded question, how could I port or build this for the 9742? I have a windows and ubuntu server, but know almost nothing about building or porting a rom; I've always just been a beta tester, never went into developing...

I know the 9742 has the system resources available to run CM10 well...and thats all I know.. but I found this..
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/39064-building-cm10-for-a10-devices/

what I'd love to see is a CM10 build with the features built into the Galaxy Tab 2 for specific stylus use and multi-tasking with pop-up windows

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
vampirefo, thank you for releasing this.. now I have a super loaded question, how could I port or build this for the 9742? I have a windows and ubuntu server, but know almost nothing about building or porting a rom; I've always just been a beta tester, never went into developing...

I know the 9742 has the system resources available to run CM10 well...and thats all I know.. but I found this..
Building CM10 for A10 devices - SlateDroid.comir

what I'd love to see is a CM10 build with the features built into the Galaxy Tab 2 for specific stylus use and multi-tasking with pop-up windows

That thread has all the info you need to build cm10 from source. I have already done that plus made changes required for coby, so you could port from my 8042, or you can build from source.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
vampirefo, are you using the overclocking feature of CM on your 8042? I saw your post about overclocking using the other method, but this seems a little safer for me to try. Just wondering if it is functional on this device.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Chance0066 said:
vampirefo, are you using the overclocking feature of CM on your 8042? I saw your post about overclocking using the other method, but this seems a little safer for me to try. Just wondering if it is functional on this device.

No I don't overclock on this Rom. I like the battery life and smoothness of running from this Rom, So havent used any OC options.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
Good to know, I'll be checking it out when I get home this evening. Thanks for everything you do for Coby devices.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
When trying to mount the mmcblk0p3 file to /system I'm getting an error that there is no such file or directory. I'm really just learning these systems. Troubleshooting it at the moment, but I thought I would see if you were available to advise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Ok, I officially don't have a mmcblk0p3 to mount... I have mmcblk0, mmcblk0p1, mmcblk0p2, mmcblk0p4, mmcblk0p5, and mmcblk0p6.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
How many partitions do you have on your sdcard? You only want 3.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
How many partitions do you have on your sdcard? You only want 3.

I have 3, just like you instructed. I set the FAT32 as a primary and the two ext4 as logical, not sure if that was correct or not.

Edit: Also... I'm using Shinisuryu's dump as the stock ROM for my device, had some issues previously, and hadn't made a back up before.

Edit2: Ok, reformatted the two ext4 partitions as primary's and that solved the problem concerning not having a mmcblk0p3 file. Now I'm getting and Invalid Argument error when I try to mount it though.
Code:
mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/block/nandh on /cache type ext4 (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,bar
rier=1,data=ordered)

Last edited: