CMP741E Complete Nandroid Backup

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
Hey guys,

many of us have flashed the firmware img from the official craig website and bricked our devices. We can now access CWM but need a complete nandroid backup! could someone be kind enough to upload a nandroid backup of theirs? It will help out a lot of people, including me. Thank you very much

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Nandroid via recovery is not giving a complete backup.

Nonetheless, here is the link to the backup that got created: http://d-h.st/CP1

I will be doing a dump via the A10 Dumper and upload that in a few. If you can get yours back to working with one of the files I upload I won't mind working on some compatibility zips.

Last edited:

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
@Tragidy, I did use your tool. Thank you!

I made this flashable zip.... I don't really have much time so I did not get a chance to test it out... so use it at your OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Dev-Host - CMP741E-Flashable_signed.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

What I did was I just used the A10 CM9 file, removed their system replaced it with the one from the DUMP and also replaced the boot.img from the DUMP. Then I signed the zip. I did not really look at the update-script as it would be more time consuming then I'd like.

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
@Tragidy, I did use your tool. Thank you!

I made this flashable zip.... I don't really have much time so I did not get a chance to test it out... so use it at your OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Dev-Host - CMP741E-Flashable_signed.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

What I did was I just used the A10 CM9 file, removed their system replaced it with the one from the DUMP and also replaced the boot.img from the DUMP. Then I signed the zip. I did not really look at the update-script as it would be more time consuming then I'd like.

hello, I tried your zip but it didnt boot past the splash screen. I checked in the /system directory and noticed that /system/bin/sh is missing. that might be the reason?

I looked into the /system dump you posted, and /system/bin/sh and many other files are actually shortcuts and not the actual files.

Last edited:

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
So by using the program Uberizer from TechKnow, I have restored the your dump into my phone. However, it wouldn't boot. so I think there might be a problem with the /system dump?

Last edited:

Philbriz

Jan 6, 2013
not sure if this could be helpful in your case: but finding this post got mine unbricked. I did not even have to do anything but holding down the reset and power at the same time which I never would have thought of without BigBangBoom's genius post. I have the cmp741e too.

From BigBangBoom's post:Fixed my brick

I have the magni tablet 10, earlier today it bricked after i loaded some different software onto it (Not in the Slide Sam repository), things were going well until i reset the tablet...... Sylvania screen nothing more frozen solid. I went through many many many forums and could not get any of the suggested methods to work on getting it back. I started randomly holding down buttons and combinations of buttons to see if i could get any response from the tablet, I've unbricked several cell phones that way and figured what do i have to lose and went into F***it mode, pissed at my brick.... anyhow long story short Here is the combination that fixed it - (I bricked my tablet again just to test my notes on the process)

1. start with screen on - stuck on sylvania
2. press and hold the power button & reset button at the same time,10seconds
3. hold down the home button, power button and the screen, you will see the infoTMIC screen pop up --- Don't let go!
4. it will bring up the system recovery screen, when you release the screen goes blank, tap the home button the screen will come back up
(side note, it will say on the bottom of the screen "Can't open / cache/recovery/command: no such file or directory" -- even though it really is there)
5.navigate down the list using the volume keys, press the menu button to select "wipe data/factory reset" --next screen select yes
7 disregard what it says at the bottom of the screen, the recovery worked
8.reboot the system
9. it will go back to the sylvania screen - animation working
10. take out the SD card -leave the tablet on, do not turn off- you will here a beep, put the SD card back in, it will finish booting
11. Your system is now back to its factory state, primped and primed ready to go"

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
@C19932

I have another suggestion for you... restore my nandroid I provided (though system was not backed up properly) and then restore /system.

Let me know if that helps.

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Alright so I was able to get a full Nandroid backup of the CMP741E.

I knew the issue was with CWM so instead of using CWM 6 (as previously recommended), I decided to use CWM 5.5 that worked just fine! I installed the Allwiner A10 Aurora/Elf (last item on this site: CyanogenMod for Allwinner A10 tablets | androtab.info)

Now I am not 100% sure that CWM 5.5 backups work on CWM 6 but we officially have a BACKUP! Again it isn't a virgin backup as I have Gapps installed but as close as it gets!

I am uploading it now!

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Alright so I was able to get a full Nandroid backup of the CMP741E.

I knew the issue was with CWM so instead of using CWM 6 (as previously recommended), I decided to use CWM 5.5 that worked just fine! I installed the Allwiner A10 Aurora/Elf (last item on this site: CyanogenMod for Allwinner A10 tablets | androtab.info)

Now I am not 100% sure that CWM 5.5 backups work on CWM 6 but we officially have a BACKUP! Again it isn't a virgin backup as I have Gapps installed but as close as it gets!

I am uploading it now!
Dev-Host - Craig_CMP741e_NANDROID_CWM55.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

That is a full backup that looks good! Please let me know if it works!

c19932

Jan 16, 2013

Thanks for the new backup! I installed cwm 5.5 on my tablet and restored your nandroid (I had to strip down the system.ext4.tar to less than 250mb because the firmware I flashed on my tablet only has 250mb /system partition). I can now boot past the splash screen and into android OS!!! That proves that your nandroid works.

However, my touchscreen, g-sensors, and such still don't work. (recall that I needed to flash a firmware meant for another device, and it makes the tablet touch screen non-functional). So I guess the drivers/configuration for touchscreen is not contained in the /system partition?

not sure if this could be helpful in your case: but finding this post got mine unbricked. I did not even have to do anything but holding down the reset and power at the same time which I never would have thought of without BigBangBoom's genius post. I have the cmp741e too.

From BigBangBoom's post:Fixed my brick

I have the magni tablet 10, earlier today it bricked after i loaded some different software onto it (Not in the Slide Sam repository), things were going well until i reset the tablet...... Sylvania screen nothing more frozen solid. I went through many many many forums and could not get any of the suggested methods to work on getting it back. I started randomly holding down buttons and combinations of buttons to see if i could get any response from the tablet, I've unbricked several cell phones that way and figured what do i have to lose and went into F***it mode, pissed at my brick.... anyhow long story short Here is the combination that fixed it - (I bricked my tablet again just to test my notes on the process)

1. start with screen on - stuck on sylvania
2. press and hold the power button & reset button at the same time,10seconds
3. hold down the home button, power button and the screen, you will see the infoTMIC screen pop up --- Don't let go!
4. it will bring up the system recovery screen, when you release the screen goes blank, tap the home button the screen will come back up
(side note, it will say on the bottom of the screen "Can't open / cache/recovery/command: no such file or directory" -- even though it really is there)
5.navigate down the list using the volume keys, press the menu button to select "wipe data/factory reset" --next screen select yes
7 disregard what it says at the bottom of the screen, the recovery worked
8.reboot the system
9. it will go back to the sylvania screen - animation working
10. take out the SD card -leave the tablet on, do not turn off- you will here a beep, put the SD card back in, it will finish booting
11. Your system is now back to its factory state, primped and primed ready to go"

Thanks for the help. When I hold down power and reset button at the same time, nothing happens =( the device just turns off and that's all. I tried that at both the stuck splash screen and when the device is off, still no luck =[ also tried holding down home button, power, button, or any combo with the volume keys, but nothing happens

Last edited:

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Tell me what you get when you do
'cat proc/partitions' via adb.

1|root@android:/ # cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

93 0 16384 nanda
93 8 2048 nandb
93 16 32768 nandc
93 24 524288 nandd
93 32 1048576 nande
93 40 1024 nandf
93 48 32768 nandg
93 56 131072 nandh
93 64 2101248 nandi

Maybe we can figure out what partition has what needs to be changed.

Then you can try on adb 'mount'

root@android:/dev/block # mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 rw,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered
0 0
/dev/block/nande /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal
_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandh /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journa
l_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:64 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,u
id=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset
=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:64 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relat
ime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,ioch
arset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

nandd = /system
nande = /data
nandh = /cache

Humm, I think now I am going out of my league in terms of knowledge... just throwing information out there at this point.

---
Also can you verify that the proper kernel got installed?

On mine it shows up as 3.0.3+ xcy@xcy-desktop #11

Last edited:

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
root@android:/ # cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

93 0 16384 nanda
93 8 2048 nandb
93 16 32768 nandc
93 24 262144 nandd
93 32 1228800 nande