CMP745E Touchscreen Not Working Correctly

ledbthand

Dec 19, 2012
Long story short, I downloaded the firmware from the craig site so I could flash it back to stock since the wifi wasn't working for some reason. Now it seems like the top half of the screen works the bottom half of the screen and vice versa (if that makes sense at all).

I tried to reflash the backup but it's not working.

are there any custom roms, kernals etc I can flash to try to fix it or is it just a paper weight now?

jc73

Sep 14, 2012
I had the same problem when i tried a custom rom, lucky I had made a nandroid backup and was able to restore. How did you flash the'firmware? Did you use rktools? You can get the kernel from other sources and try just flashing it by itself.

ledbthand

Dec 19, 2012
I had the same problem when i tried a custom rom, lucky I had made a nandroid backup and was able to restore. How did you flash the'firmware? Did you use rktools? You can get the kernel from other sources and try just flashing it by itself.

I put the update.img from the craig website on the sd card and it prompted to auto install. It seemed like a really nice tablet for the money until this.

jc73

Sep 14, 2012
I put the update.img from the craig website on the sd card and it prompted to auto install. It seemed like a really nice tablet for the money until this.
Okyou need to download rktools and the drivers....there are plenty of tutorials on this. The tricky part is getting the tablet into flash mode.The way this is done is when its off hold down the volume down button and then press the reset button on the back for like 3 seconds.

ledbthand

Dec 19, 2012
What driver did you wind up using? I'm having trouble trying to find the right one.

ledbthand

Dec 19, 2012
I used the driver for rk2918.

I got it to flash fine with rktools but the touch screen is still split like before.

This is what the problem is:

Okay it seems like it's the kernal out of the update.img from the craig website causing the issue. I extracted it and put it with custom rom. The rooted rom runs fine but the touch screen does the same thing. So I'm trying to find another kernal that will work.

Last edited by a moderator:

jc73

Sep 14, 2012
I'm still trying to figure it out. I have yet found a kernel that will work on our tab. I have been able to restore from a backup after all the roms do the same thing with the screen. I'm trying to figure out how to make a compadability zip but havent had any luck. You can do a google search and find the stock rom for this tab and maybe flash it with rktools.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I got it to flash fine with rktools but the touch screen is still split like before.

This is what the problem is:

Okay it seems like it's the kernal out of the update.img from the craig website causing the issue. I extracted it and put it with custom rom. The rooted rom runs fine but the touch screen does the same thing. So I'm trying to find another kernal that will work.

This is quite common for allwinner tablets, if you didn't backup your bootloader.img then it will take a long time to fix your problem, this has little to due with kernel, has to due with ts drivers and bootloader.img.

Last edited by a moderator:

ledbthand

Dec 19, 2012
I'm still trying to figure it out. I have yet found a kernel that will work on our tab. I have been able to restore from a backup after all the roms do the same thing with the screen. I'm trying to figure out how to make a compadability zip but havent had any luck. You can do a google search and find the stock rom for this tab and maybe flash it with rktools.

I've tried, the stock rom for both the cmp745e and cmp745d as well as 2 or 3 other custom roms.

I don't know why I'm so dumbfounded by this tablet. I've flashed my phone dozen of times with different roms with no problems. I've even flash several 360's, my ps3 and wii, all with no problems. I don't know why I didn't think to make a back up of the tablet first but I guess I thought the "official" firmware from the Craig website wouldn't brick it.

I just hope I still have the receipt somewhere at home when I get back from holiday vacation.

Maybe I can coax you into uploading your recovery and I can try that before I used it as a frisbee.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I've tried, the stock rom for both the cmp745e and cmp745d as well as 2 or 3 other custom roms.

I don't know why I'm so dumbfounded by this tablet. I've flashed my phone dozen of times with different roms with no problems. I've even flash several 360's, my ps3 and wii, all with no problems. I don't know why I didnt think to make a back up of the tablet first but I guess I thought the "official" firmware from the Craig website wouldn't brick it.

I agree official firmware shouldn't cause problems, but sometimes it does, companies sometime change the hardware on models but forget to update their firmware to reflect this.

ledbthand

Dec 19, 2012
I agree official firmware shouldn't cause problems, but sometimes it does, companies sometime change the hardware on models but forget to update their firmware to reflect this.

That's what I think must have happened. How hard is it gonna be to repair this problem without totally writing a new rom in Linux. (Which I have no clue how to do haha!)

ledbthand

Dec 19, 2012

Did yours do the same thing as mine in the video?

Looks like I'm SOL on this tablet, no warranty with no receipt apparently.

kabowes

Dec 26, 2012

I don't know why I'm so dumbfounded by this tablet. I've flashed my phone dozen of times with different roms with no problems. I've even flash several 360's, my ps3 and wii, all with no problems. I don't know why I didn't think to make a back up of the tablet first but I guess I thought the "official" firmware from the Craig website wouldn't brick it.

I just hope I still have the receipt somewhere at home when I get back from holiday vacation.

Maybe I can coax you into uploading your recovery and I can try that before I used it as a frisbee.

I would appreciate the recovery file too. I am not a technical person. I have two of these things for my kids. One is not completely useless because I restored the factory download. What a brutal product.

ledbthand

Dec 19, 2012
Still no luck with this POS I'm seriously wondering if I blew some kind of "soft fuse" or possibly damaged the tablet in some way. Maybe I'll just make a you tube video of what happens when this tablet is put in the microwave.

Last edited: