Coby 9740 Rooted, CWM Installed and Backed Up...Can't Access CWM Since Backup

Mikieboy

May 3, 2013
I have been reading this forum for several days now. I have successfully rooted my Coby 9740. I was also able to install and run CWM and now have Google Play on my tablet. I must give thanks to Traveller1701 and Vampire for all their hard work and efforts. I was getting ready to follow the instructions from manekineko to try and be able to save apps to the external sd by changing it to the internal card. I went into CWM and did a backup. It said I was successful and I rebooted my tablet. I then went to download notepad++ to continue, got it downloaded and installed. I wanted to check something in CWM and tried to open CWM and have not been able to restart my tablet in CWM since the backup. My tablet just goes into safe mode. Also, the time and date were changed. Just stumped. Any help?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
start from the beginning.

1. how did you root your device
2. how did you install recovery, which recovery used.
3. how are you trying to get into recovery?

PS a tablet booting into safemode on it's own usually means hardware failure.

Mikieboy

May 3, 2013
start from the beginning.

1. how did you root your device
2. how did you install recovery, which recovery used.
3. how are you trying to get into recovery?

PS a tablet booting into safemode on it's own usually means hardware failure.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I have been away from my computer for a few days.
1. I followed the instructions under "Looking for Help Rooting Coby 9740 #3. I then installed and ran the Clockwork mod found I believe in your list of clockworkmod for the Cobys. I used the one for the 9740. I then ran into the problem of not enough space. I then used your zip in #47 and everything worked great!!
2. I may have misspoken. I used the backup and restore feature in CWM. Is that a Nandroid backup?
3. I was trying to go into CWM to make sure I had the correct backup to finish changing the sd card previously mentioned. That's when I had trouble getting into CWM. I have since been able to get into CWM, but I can't seem to do it all the time. It's like I happen to get it to work. Which folders do I look in in ES file manager to make sure that I have the backups I need. I did to a dump and have all four files.

paulwalter824

Oct 17, 2013
I am having a similar problem, i rooted my 9740 from the instructions on this page
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html
I used the clockwork mod from this link

• 9740 users can download ClockworkMod from this post
when i try to use the key combinations listed

• Hold down "volume -" and "power" until the recovery appears.
  • Hold down "volume -", "back", and "power" until the recovery appears.

i just go into safe mode I never boot into clockwork mod
i can if i run the root utility and boot it into clockwork mod from there but not with any key press combination
otherwise everything worked great, thanks for your info

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for the info. Just a thought,

Did you try vol+ in place of vol- ?

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
I am having a similar problem, i rooted my 9740 from the instructions on this page
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html

i can if i run the root utility and boot it into clockwork mod from there but not with any key press combination
Just try other combinations it will work though cause your hardware maybe different then the one the cwm is made for.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

turn off tablet press and release volume up + power then hold volume up + power til you see Coby release power.

paulwalter824

Oct 17, 2013
turn off tablet press and release volume up + power then hold volume up + power til you see Coby release power.

I tried that when the operating system is working fine and it put me into safe mode but when I tried something that did not work and the tablet did not boot it took me right into recovery and worked great.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I tried that when the operating system is working fine and it put me into safe mode but when I tried something that did not work and the tablet did not boot it took me right into recovery and worked great.

I don't understand what you just wrote, what you posted before my post was wrong key combo, I gave you correct key combo to boot into recovery on a 9740.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 Android Tablet

paulwalter824

Oct 17, 2013
I don't understand what you just wrote, what you posted before my post was wrong key combo, I gave you correct key combo to boot into recovery on a 9740.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 Android Tablet

yes that key combo worked when I tried installing a framework from a different post and the tablet would no longer boot it took me right into recovery.
but before that and after I restored it when I use that key combo the tablet boots into the operating system in safe mode.

paulwalter824

Oct 17, 2013
ok, totally feel stupid now, I did not realize that the clockworkmod replaced the backup in the system menu, I was avoiding going to that so that i would not mess things up booting into the factory backup and recovery