Coby gpl obligations

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
I just called coby tech support about getting gpl source code. The Rep put me on hold to presumably ask his boss what to do. He came back and told me the software is open source and to search Google for it. I told him that the kernel for the tablet requires the changes made by telechips to build and run. He said they just sell the tablet and not the software. I informed him that I bought the software from them and by the terms of the gpl, I should be able to receive a copy of the source from them. He insisted that they don't have it and I should again search Google. At that point I gave up. I wonder if we all called them repeatedly asking for the sources if the would eventually comply and release the gpl source used in the mid7015.
Coby tech support: (800)302-2629
M-F 09:00-21:00 EST

Sent from my MID7015A using Tapatalk

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
It sounds like they are still completely ignorant of this issue. Augen did not respond to requests either. With Telechips TCC8902, there is a rumored NDA from signed by the manufacturer via Telechips that prevents the manufacturer from releasing their source code.

I doubt their new generation is going to be any better.

There has been people talking about the TCC8902 violations for months now: The legal Archives

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
yeah.. i've read some of the discussions..

part of me thought that maybe if a large amount of people flooded their call center with requests for them to uphold their GPL obligations, we might get something out of them... but, it seems their "tech support" knows nothing about the GPL or what it means WRT their devices...

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
That bit of source is incomplete. You can't build a working kernel with it, and the 'eclair' source is just webkit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Well, I seem to be making progress with coby. I called again and this time the support rep escalated the call to another department that should be returning my call later today. I'm making the argument that it would be in coby's best interest to stay on the good side of the open source community if they are going to continue offering android products. I'm also explaining that just telling people to download the android source is not sufficient by the terms of the gpl. I'll post the outcome of the callback later.

Stoned99

Dec 8, 2010
Well, I seem to be making progress with coby. I called again and this time the support rep escalated the call to another department that should be returning my call later today. I'm making the argument that it would be in coby's best interest to stay on the good side of the open source community if they are going to continue offering android products. I'm also explaining that just telling people to download the android source is not sufficient by the terms of the gpl. I'll post the outcome of the callback later.

Really wondering if you'll ever get that call back. I'm also waiting for their legal department to call me back. It's been like 2 months and a half now that they should have called me...

But I really hope, you get this call back.

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
I'm going to call every day until I get someone that can actually help me. I'm not afraid if being 'that guy' in this case. :)

Stoned99

Dec 8, 2010
hahaha, they eventually end up banning your phone number :D

I think I'll also start to call them every day. At the moment, I'm waiting for them to send me back my Mid7015 since the video card broke. Since I don't want to piss them off when they have my device in their hands, I'll wait a little before harassing them ;)

code347

Feb 4, 2011
I too have been e-mailing the Coby Support folks and making inquiries into the source code....You will be very surprised to find that I have not been contacted once. I will try a phone call this afternoon.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Be sure to let them know you are willing to pay for the physical medium and shipping if necessary.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
surprise, surprise. no phone call. i guess i'll talk to another csr tomorrow and ask what happened to my escalation phone call....

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Called them again today. I was told by a supervisor that my call had been sent to the Research and Technical department at approx. 15:30 EST yesterday, and I should get a call back today. We'll see how that goes...

btw, if I do get the source, I'll open an account at sourceforge.net and start a repository. :)

Stoned99

Dec 8, 2010
Called them again today. I was told by a supervisor that my call had been sent to the Research and Technical department at approx. 15:30 EST yesterday, and I should get a call back today. We'll see how that goes...

btw, if I do get the source, I'll open an account at sourceforge.net and start a repository. :)

Really hope you get that call back... Not really sure you'll get it though... I think you should create a new speed dial of Coby on your cell's address book ;)